Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM

192 posts, read 348,422 times

Advertisements

I have a question about tennesseans as well. I know they are traditional in many ways, including manners, But what about things like eating organic, smoking, etc. I research EVERYTHING. I like to know what the latest studies are saying about a certain thing before I do it. I like to share facts and talk about politics. Am I going to get a weird look if I go on talking about how another food is now genetically modified, or what Obama is messing up now?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Forgot to mention I am talking about specifically East Tennessee.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
You are obviously very young and not very well traveled if you attribute the universally recognized polite behavior of a gentleman opening the door for a lady to having blinders on. You also are laughably off base because Laura is not from the south. Many of us long time "northeners" have moved down here and rediscovered how pleasant life can be without people like you walking all over our toes and elbowing others out of their way on a daily basis. Rude and arrogant behavior is not being open minded rather just a case of ignorance loudly proclaiming itself as such.

Sadly, she probably did so she could feel all superior for the day.
Couldn't have said it better

Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Well, "country people" will tell you they were eating organic before it was cool.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
I have a question about tennesseans as well. I know they are traditional in many ways, including manners, But what about things like eating organic, smoking, etc. I research EVERYTHING. I like to know what the latest studies are saying about a certain thing before I do it. I like to share facts and talk about politics. Am I going to get a weird look if I go on talking about how another food is now genetically modified, or what Obama is messing up now?

Depends on who you are talking to. We are not clones.

I research EVERYTHING. I like to know what the latest studies are saying about a certain thing before I do it.

Nowthis^^^^^ you might get some weird looks. Tennesseans tend to do their own research. Proceed with caution tho if it starts out with "Hey boys...watch this".

Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, "country people" will tell you they were eating organic before it was cool.
My cousin lives in millington and says that organic is like a foreign word there. But that (what you said) is what I like to hear.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
Organic is a big city/suburban thing. Most country people would find the idea of paying extra for food crazy. Smoking has fallen out of favor here just like everywhere. You can still smoke in bars but not in restaurants. If this is a concern, you may want to consider Kentucky, where smoking in restaurants is still legal. Discussing politics or religion with those you do not know well is VERY impolite. I'm pleased you're so enthusiastic about TN, but I think you may find Tennessee more complex than you anticipated. We're not all the same and some locations have different industries than others. A lot of rural places in the mtns are very poor and isolated. It's not all roses. And while the Smokies Park is wonderful, avoid Gatlinburg like the plague. Tackiest, most out of control tourist trap ever.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Organic is a big city/suburban thing. Most country people would find the idea of paying extra for food crazy. Smoking has fallen out of favor here just like everywhere. You can still smoke in bars but not in restaurants. If this is a concern, you may want to consider Kentucky, where smoking in restaurants is still legal. Discussing politics or religion with those you do not know well is VERY impolite. I'm pleased you're so enthusiastic about TN, but I think you may find Tennessee more complex than you anticipated. We're not all the same and some locations have different industries than others. A lot of rural places in the mtns are very poor and isolated. It's not all roses. And while the Smokies Park is wonderful, avoid Gatlinburg like the plague. Tackiest, most out of control tourist trap ever.
Im hoping that since we will be out in the country that farmers markets might be more common. I HATE smoking, so that is good to hear Im sure anywhere is going to be quite complex. I have lived in the same place my whole life and I am willing to do everything I can to educate myself about the area and to fit in I just have to make sure I am making the right decision since my husband is leaving this completely up to me. (except for his few requests). The negatives of the area seem minor, and after extensive research I have decided it is worth the risk and culture shock for me to be able to give my daughter the country life. Im also hoping that the negatives are all about perspective. Coming from San Diego and being low income and making it work with no government assistance assures me that I will be able to make it work there. I hope I am not wrong. But once Im out of here Im never coming back, whether it be East Tennessee or somewhere else. I appreciate everyones help on this forum more than you can understand. You've all already proven to me that the people are friendlier than here. (Got attacked on the San Diego forum), and I look forward to learning more about Tennessee soon. But thats probably in August so Im sure Ill have a million more questions before then :P

Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
See, the thing is, "farmers market" here tends to be a city/suburban thing where gentleman farmers who call themselves "artisans" bring their stuff to town and sell it to the people who think Whole Foods is a neighborhood grocery store. When I said country people eat organic, I didn't mean the food-snob definition of organic. (Not saying you are a food snob. Just trying to illustrate the difference.)

The country here is the real thing. A local farmer might sell his stuff at the end of his (mile-long) driveway, or along the side of the highway. It depends on what YOU mean by organic.

I think you need to Google more stuff and just visit here. We cannot promise that you will find the idyllic world you're looking for.

San Diego to East TN will be a HUGE difference. But it is not really something that can be explained. You just have to experience it, and accept it for what it is.

You need to visit first before you make ANY permanent decisions. It's a great place to live, but it ain't the promised land.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 12-06-2012 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
See, the thing is, "farmers market" here tends to be a city/suburban thing where gentleman farmers who call themselves "artisans" bring their stuff to town and sell it to the people who think Whole Foods is a neighborhood grocery store. When I said country people eat organic, I didn't mean the food-snob definition of organic. (Not saying you are a food snob. Just trying to illustrate the difference.)

The country here is the real thing. A local farmer might sell his stuff at the end of his (mile-long) driveway, or along the side of the highway. It depends on what YOU mean by organic.

I think you need to Google more stuff and just visit here. We cannot promise that you will find the idyllic world you're looking for.

San Diego to East TN will be a HUGE difference. But it is not really something that can be explained. You just have to experience it, and accept it for what it is.

You need to visit first before you make ANY permanent decisions. It's a great place to live, but it ain't the promised land.
I really just dont want to eat food from mexico or GMO food. So as long as the grocery stores arent selling that, then Ill be fine. I really wish I could afford to just visit, but the cost of leaving work for that long and coming back here and then going back AGAIN with all our stuff would cost more than just taking the leap. Just gonna pack up and go. Isnt that what people used to do? I already know for a fact that Ill sacrifice more of the life I want here than I will there. These questions are really just for me to learn more. Ive already decided
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee