U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 PM

2,083 posts, read 2,012,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
I really just dont want to eat food from mexico or GMO food. So as long as the grocery stores arent selling that, then Ill be fine. I really wish I could afford to just visit, but the cost of leaving work for that long and coming back here and then going back AGAIN with all our stuff would cost more than just taking the leap. Just gonna pack up and go. Isnt that what people used to do? I already know for a fact that Ill sacrifice more of the life I want here than I will there. These questions are really just for me to learn more. Ive already decided
GMO food is not a big issue in the rural TN areas I've been too. And in a rural area your grocery shopping options are going to be pretty limited. Some counties don't even have a major supermarket. And I would caution you strongly about bringing up politics or religion with people you don't know very well. TN is a pretty conservative state, especially the rural areas. It is also very religious. Church tends to be a big part of people's lives. And some small town/rural people take a while to warm up to newcomers. It's not personal but it does happen. If you don't know anyone, it can take time to make friends because there is not much of a social scene (mainly church). Moving here without a visit could be a lot more costly in the long run than taking a trip to check things out first.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,779,641 times
You absolutely need to live in the suburbs. Maybe a distant "country" suburb, but still in civilization. You will be hard pressed to find a grocery store in many rural areas. At best you'll have a Wal-Mart in the county seat. People in the country are also not super excited about outsiders moving in. Unless you're moving to a county seat, don't expect the welcome wagon. That's a suburban thing. People live in the country to be left alone. Definately rent for a year so you're sure you're happy where you are. If you were looking at my end of the state, I'd point you toward Arlington or maybe Tipton County if I was convinced that you could handle it. What kind of work do you expect to find? Teachers and Wal Mart clerks are needed just about everywhere. Maybe some nurses in a small county hospital. That's about it. A few places still have a plant that hasn't been offshored to China, but those days are largely over.

Last edited by eastmemphisguy; 12-06-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM

39,195 posts, read 37,806,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Definately rent for a year so you're sure you're happy where you are. If you were looking at my end of the state, I'd point you toward Arlington.
I agree strongly with this suggestion. For decades Arlington was not thought of more than a quiet country town on the way to Jackson. Now it's viewed as an almost suburban alternative for Memphis-area residents. They have good schools and friendly people, but it's still close enough to "civilization.

Eastmemphisguy is right about moving into a real rural area. At least in a rural suburb, you will occasionally find other transplants who are looking to meet people.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 PM

192 posts, read 287,912 times
Thats what we are going to do looking at apartments already in elizabethton, biltmore area. Once we get settled in and decide what we really want, we will go from there, that way also when we move into a more rural area we are hopefully adjusted a little better to the area and wont have the same culture shock as if we went straight to the country country. Even elizabethton with a population of about 13000 is a big difference for us. I sometimes forget that for some people that is not a small town. Might be more expensive to just drop everything and move in the long run, but Im more concerned about the upfront cost. Ill do pretty much anything to get out of CA. Its probably the worst state to be in right now. I also want to be closer to Texas incase they sucede :P Even if i end up not liking it, its better than here.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 AM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
There is going to be just as much GMO and Mexican produce in Elizabethton as anywhere else. Farmer's markets? Probably not in that area. Be prepared to do your socializing at church.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,700,102 times
Quote:
Thats what we are going to do looking at apartments already in elizabethton, biltmore area. Once we get settled in and decide what we really want, we will go from there, that way also when we move into a more rural area we are hopefully adjusted a little better to the area and wont have the same culture shock as if we went straight to the country country. Even elizabethton with a population of about 13000 is a big difference for us. I sometimes forget that for some people that is not a small town. Might be more expensive to just drop everything and move in the long run, but Im more concerned about the upfront cost. Ill do pretty much anything to get out of CA. Its probably the worst state to be in right now. I also want to be closer to Texas incase they sucede :P Even if i end up not liking it, its better than here.
I understand your strong desire to get out of Ca. But reading how you are thinking is like watching a train wreck that will happen. Tn. is in no way, shape, or form anything like Ca. I'm a transplant myself and it is no secret I love the Knoxville area, we have all kinds of Farmers Markets. But reading your posts on this thread, I suspect you have somehow glorified country living in tn. Rural country living in Tn. isn't all bluebirds and sunshine. In years past, many people just picked up and moved and hoped for the best. In this economy doing something like that is not very smart. I do not think you can get a real taste of the vibe of an area, by researching the internet, you do need to visit. The cost is a smart investment to save further costs down the road. But carry on with your dreaming, I won't pop anymore of your balloons or rain on your parade.
Pam

Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I understand your strong desire to get out of Ca. But reading how you are thinking is like watching a train wreck that will happen. Tn. is in no way, shape, or form anything like Ca. I'm a transplant myself and it is no secret I love the Knoxville area, we have all kinds of Farmers Markets. But reading your posts on this thread, I suspect you have somehow glorified country living in tn. Rural country living in Tn. isn't all bluebirds and sunshine. In years past, many people just picked up and moved and hoped for the best. In this economy doing something like that is not very smart. I do not think you can get a real taste of the vibe of an area, by researching the internet, you do need to visit. The cost is a smart investment to save further costs down the road. But carry on with your dreaming, I won't pop anymore of your balloons or rain on your parade.
Pam
How have I glorified Tennessee country living? I suppose I could have, but Im curious what opinions I have that are not accurate. I guess most people are saying I probably shouldnt do it at all considering my situation, which is a real bummer since this is what I really wanted. I know Im young, and I do really want to take everyones advice, its just so hard to look past what I am dreaming about.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,700,102 times
Quote:
How have I glorified Tennessee country living? I suppose I could have, but Im curious what opinions I have that are not accurate. I guess most people are saying I probably shouldnt do it at all considering my situation, which is a real bummer since this is what I really wanted. I know Im young, and I do really want to take everyones advice, its just so hard to look past what I am dreaming about.

Michelle,

You are young and you have a baby to consider.In that situation, your dreams get put on the back burner.
You have glorified Tn. country living, living in the country in Tn. is not what you think it will be. I will not come right out and say what I am referring to. I will not insult anyone.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 PM

Well now you have me very curious, is there a way you can message me on here so nobody else can see it?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,613,565 times
I live in Maryland, and many black women here use the phrase "Have a blessed day" - but I only seem to recall hearing it in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee