U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2012, 01:54 PM
 
192 posts, read 287,912 times
Reputation: 136

Advertisements

Also the reason I really want this is FOR my baby. Before her I thought Id spend my entire life in San Diego. But this isnt the life I want for her. Our priorties have changed and we want our lifestyle to change with them. We just cant do that here.

 
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM
 
1,380 posts, read 1,779,641 times
Reputation: 2364
We get it. You have a goal. And that's great! What you need is a plan for how to make it all feasible. What's your plan?
 
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 PM
 
192 posts, read 287,912 times
Reputation: 136
Looking for low cost of living in East TN
Finally figured it out I think post #34 shares my new plan.
 
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
Reputation: 49918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxergirl1 View Post
My husband is a northerner and most definitely holds the door. I am from the north ....I can open a door on my own. I can open a door for my husband, just to change things up.
You are the prime example of southern blinders. Northerners are more open minded. Bless your little heart.....
Sorry but I lived in NY for 40+ years of my life and MD for 12 years. The biggest shock of my life was how polite people are here, especially after a trip back to Long Island. They are way more polite and friendly in the stores and services in Tennessee (men and women) and the native men have more manners.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,025,166 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
My cousin lives in millington and says that organic is like a foreign word there. But that (what you said) is what I like to hear.
The word "organic"? or the concept? My parents are immigrants and, probably like many from their generation, they keep harping on how the term "organic" is so in vogue and perceived chic, when, like the previous poster mentioned and like I think many rural folks see things, they'd been eating organic without the title most of their lives. The flip side is companies like Monsanto and farming conglomerates were not as pervasive and infectious fifty years ago...
 
Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,257 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
Some women like to be treated as one. Enough said.
Very low class response.
 
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,257 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
You are obviously very young and not very well traveled if you attribute the universally recognized polite behavior of a gentleman opening the door for a lady to having blinders on. You also are laughably off base because Laura is not from the south. Many of us long time "northeners" have moved down here and rediscovered how pleasant life can be without people like you walking all over our toes and elbowing others out of their way on a daily basis. Rude and arrogant behavior is not being open minded rather just a case of ignorance loudly proclaiming itself as such.



Sadly, she probably did so she could feel all superior for the day.
Laura, I will address you first. No, I did not open an account just to respond. We are moving and I started out signing up for the sole purpose of asking a question in another forum and was sidetracked.
I do not need to feel superior to any one person. I am a proud northerner. I do enjoy the south. I do not however enjoy TN. And that is my right.

J&Em, I have lived in 8 different states. My father worked for the Gov't and my husband is in his 23rd year serving the military. While I disagree with your assessment of TN, I will not try to analyze your life or background.
I do stand by my comment. I do disagree that you cross in to the south and the gates of friendliness open! The change is not that drastic.
Your last sentence is a scream for an argument but I am not going there. You are entitled to your opinion and apparently take it extremely personal when one does not agree with you!
 
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,257 times
Reputation: 11
[quote=LauraC;27294940]Sorry but I lived in NY for 40+ years of my life and MD for 12 years. The biggest shock of my life was how polite people are here, especially after a trip back to Long Island. They are way more polite and friendly in the stores and services in Tennessee (men and women) and the native men have more manners.[/

It was a defensive response on my part. I think for her to make a blanket statement about north vs. south is wrong. Just as some places in the south might not be as friendly. Some places in the north are friendly.
I took it personally because my husband holds doors and will help any one at any time.
Not to mention, there are so many transplants here, you have a 50/50 shot at who holds the door or who waits on you in a store!
 
Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM
 
Location: somewhere over the rainbow Ohio
2,017 posts, read 4,700,102 times
Reputation: 1527
[quote=Boxergirl1;27393407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Sorry but I lived in NY for 40+ years of my life and MD for 12 years. The biggest shock of my life was how polite people are here, especially after a trip back to Long Island. They are way more polite and friendly in the stores and services in Tennessee (men and women) and the native men have more manners.[/

It was a defensive response on my part. I think for her to make a blanket statement about north vs. south is wrong. Just as some places in the south might not be as friendly. Some places in the north are friendly.
I took it personally because my husband holds doors and will help any one at any time.
Not to mention, there are so many transplants here, you have a 50/50 shot at who holds the door or who waits on you in a store!
Boxergirl-

You sure are entitled to your own opinions, where is your defensiveness coming from? So your husband holds doors open and yall are northerners. While not common practice for many northern guys to do that, there are some as your husband is an example. So what? Did you land somewhere in the South and found you dislike it?

I'm in Knoxville and I would not say it is 50/50 natives and transplants. It is still very southern here and the people here in Knoxville, Tn.are friendly. I'm not attacking you, just pointing out the flip side of what you replied. And pointing out that someone gave a low class reply, well isn't that just as tasteless and low class? As this is a message board open to all from any walks of life and economic status, I do not think any one person can appoint themselves judge and jury, do you?
Pam
 
Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
9,531 posts, read 13,372,671 times
Reputation: 20050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxergirl1 View Post
I do not need to feel superior to any one person. I am a proud northerner. I do enjoy the south. I do not however enjoy TN. And that is my right.
So you don't like TN, fine, but was it necessary to come on this forum and make an insulting post that didn't add anything to the conversation and was sure to draw a negative response? That's the very sort of attitude so many of us are happy to be away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top