U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,062,221 times

Advertisements

Speaking of opening doors, I had an interesting experience on one of my visits down to Tennessee (at least I think so). On our way down to Chattanooga from Knoxville on an off-road parallel to Interstate 75, we stopped at an old-looking convenience store. I was hesitant to go in as one of the gentlemen there looked pretty "rough." Well, he opened the door for me and nodded as he said "ma'am?" Later, while looking for a Pepsi, I was standing, waiting for another rough-looking guy who was there at the same time ready to take a Pepsi ... he saw me, stepped aside, opened the door to the drinks and smiled ... saying "ma'am", letting me get a Pepsi first. I grew up on the West coast, have travelled throughout the West, Midwest, parts of the South, and Europe, but this experience stands out. In general, I've found the people in TN to be very polite. Just my personal experience.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 5,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So you don't like TN, fine, but was it necessary to come on this forum and make an insulting post that didn't add anything to the conversation and was sure to draw a negative response? That's the very sort of attitude so many of us are happy to be away from.
The fact I live in TN gives me every right to post!!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Speaking of opening doors, I had an interesting experience on one of my visits down to Tennessee (at least I think so). On our way down to Chattanooga from Knoxville on an off-road parallel to Interstate 75, we stopped at an old-looking convenience store. I was hesitant to go in as one of the gentlemen there looked pretty "rough." Well, he opened the door for me and nodded as he said "ma'am?" Later, while looking for a Pepsi, I was standing, waiting for another rough-looking guy who was there at the same time ready to take a Pepsi ... he saw me, stepped aside, opened the door to the drinks and smiled ... saying "ma'am", letting me get a Pepsi first. I grew up on the West coast, have travelled throughout the West, Midwest, parts of the South, and Europe, but this experience stands out. In general, I've found the people in TN to be very polite. Just my personal experience.
Me, too. I'm from the North and I've lived in Florida for about ten years, too. I think there are rude and nice people everywhere but I find the friendliest and most polite people to be from Tennessee and the South in general. It's interesting because I've lived in different parts of Knoxville and the areas with a lot of transplants are less polite, less friendly. It is what it is, I'm afraid.

Of course in the South it depends on how you treat people. If you are rude, argumentative and defensive you will often be met with a cold shoulder.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Tn is a great place to live for economic purposes. You can buy your dream home, put money away in your savings and get ahead financially.
The people are friendly.
There is plenty of shopping.
The activities and entertainment are endless.
It is a beautiful drive across state. East TN is a great weekend getaway. Renting a cabin to get away from the daily grind is amazing. It is simply breath taking in the mountains.

The negative. The public education system is in trouble. We are 49th in the state for the lowest ACT scores. Reading and math scores are terrible. You might want to do some research. But there is a huge home schooling community and plenty of wonderful private schools. I must add, the teachers are wonderful. My children have had some of the best!!

Religion is a total matter of opinion. Yes we were invited to attend the dominating church in our area. Politely declined. But in our neck of the woods the church has been in trouble several times for trying to recruit kids at school. This is fact. Just last year there was a law suit to keep them out.
Once people get to know you, what religion you are and what church you attend or if you even attend church becomes a non issue.

Good luck on your decision!!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So you don't like TN, fine, but was it necessary to come on this forum and make an insulting post that didn't add anything to the conversation and was sure to draw a negative response? That's the very sort of attitude so many of us are happy to be away from.
Truth be told, never expected a response! Don't let it be said I don't answer the call! So below is my response and constructive comments for the original post.
Have a blessed day.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxergirl1 View Post

The negative. The public education system is in trouble. We are 49th in the state for the lowest ACT scores. Reading and math scores are terrible. You might want to do some research. But there is a huge home schooling community and plenty of wonderful private schools. I must add, the teachers are wonderful. My children have had some of the best!!
And now for the reason why. Tennessee is only one of nine states that mandates that ALL students take the ACT test. Think about that. Makes more sense now, doesn't it?

There are very, very good school systems in Tennessee and some that are absolutely deplorable and a lot in-between. I've seen Conn., Mass., Florida and now Knoxville schools and I am deeply satisfied with the education that my daughter is getting. I've raised three other children and worked closely with the New England schools.

Here's another tidbit. Tennessee was the first state to win The Race to the Top. Why? Because we implemented a plan to stringently tighten up our goals, benchmarks and standards. We met the situation head-on. But don't expect us to be tops on many lists because states set their own standards. It's pretty easy to be the "best" when you set the bar low. And better yet, are students, teachers and administrations throughout the state are rising to the occasion in astonishing ways.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 PM

4,989 posts, read 4,493,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And now for the reason why. Tennessee is only one of nine states that mandates that ALL students take the ACT test. Think about that. Makes more sense now, doesn't it?

There are very, very good school systems in Tennessee and some that are absolutely deplorable and a lot in-between. I've seen Conn., Mass., Florida and now Knoxville schools and I am deeply satisfied with the education that my daughter is getting. I've raised three other children and worked closely with the New England schools.

Here's another tidbit. Tennessee was the first state to win The Race to the Top. Why? Because we implemented a plan to stringently tighten up our goals, benchmarks and standards. We met the situation head-on. But don't expect us to be tops on many lists because states set their own standards. It's pretty easy to be the "best" when you set the bar low. And better yet, are students, teachers and administrations throughout the state are rising to the occasion in astonishing ways.

Great point hik. To follow up on the ACT discussion, all 9 states that require 100% of students take ACt are below the national average- this includes Colorado, Michigan, etc.
Having 100% of students take the ACT, whether they are college bound or not, will give you a much lower result than a state where only a small self selecting college bound group takes the test. In Maine, for instance, only 9% of students take the ACT. And they are 2 points above the national average, and one of the highest ACT scores by state. The only way to compare to that would be for TN to only have 9% of college bound students choosing to the take the test as well.
18 states have less than 1/3 of their students taking the ACT. States that require 100% test can't compete with those small, college boud, self selecting groups in the other states.
2012 ACT National and State Scores | Average Scores by State | ACT

Also, TN is 8th in the nation for high school graduation rates. That may not speak to the quality of schools, but having a high school diploma greatly effects quality of life, so a state with a high graduation rate is a very good thing.
States Report New High School Graduation Rates Using More Accurate, Common Measure | U.S. Department of Education

Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM

14,944 posts, read 26,665,395 times
This thread has run its course and is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee