Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 PM

134 posts, read 680,606 times

Advertisements

I need to get out of expensive rent and am thinking of options.

I am in Middle TN, just south of Nashville and work in Brentwood. I'd like to buy some cheap land--a few acres and buy a used mobile home to live for two years.

I have looked for already existing homes on land (best bet and much easier) but I need acreage for my dogs (a sacrifice I have made despite most telling me to get rid of them).

So, if anyone has done this, please share experience and links as to how to go about it. As a single male, I do not need what most do...just a place to live. I have lived in a mobile home single wide before...liked it actually.

I am looking for remote/seclusion...peace and quiet that is about 30-40 mins to Brentwood.

Hopefully someone can help out...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Just some things to consider. It might not be as cheap as you think especially if it is short term.

First you need to buy the land. If it is unimproved you need to add water(city/county tap or a well), septic, and electric. These can be very costly depending on how far out your land is. Your land also might need grading at least for the mobile home and most likely you will need some kind of driveway/gravel.

Next you will have to buy the mobile home and pay taxes. Then it needs to be delivered, set up, and hooked up to your utilities.

I would call a mobile home place in your area and ask if they have any land/(used)home packages and find out what they charge for the septic and well(if needed) Then call around about land.

I am sorry if I confused you more but theses are some things you need to check into.

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:51 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
That is an awful lot of expense to fork over for two years. ?You'd be better hitting the internet for a small house or trailer on land. But thats just my humble opinion.
Pam

Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 AM

Excellent...

I would not buy raw land...has to be ready to live...all utilities set-up.

Agreed...unless property is DREAM HOME SITE...it is not worth starting from scratch.

Moving a trailer is costly as well...looked into this...at least $3-4k, plus setting up...there is ALWAYS more expenses.

Bottom line for me is my dogs...if it weren't for them life would be easy...I am not willing to give them up...I drove 2000 miles with them, already had to put one down (saddest day of my life...visit my homepage...search for George)...so I am not going to let them go...plus, I'd like to get back into dog rescue/fostering. I have big aspirations to get the folks in TN to think higher of dogs...especially the more rural communities that still have underground dog fighting. I want to rescue power breeds like pits, so I need the privacy and land.

I know there's options out there and you folks always come through for me...

Blessings
Joe

Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
Have you checked into the Nolensville area? Not between Nashville and Nolensville, as i hear that area can be pretty rough... but around the little town of Nolensville itself is very pretty. Scenery and quaint little stores.... Concord Road connects it pretty directly to Brentwood. You might find some land maybe even with a house trailer already on it.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:47 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,236 times
You might want to check on Realtor.com you can put in what you are looking for and the area, even the price. I have seen many mobile homes on acreage for sale. The ones I have seen are in Southeast TN (20 mile area) around Athens TN. Realtor.com is very helpful. I'm sure that you can find something.

Last edited by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010; 07-26-2009 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I would think you could find some remote rental property with in 30-40 minute commute to Nashville. I agree that would be cheaper and much easier to find than property already set up for a mobile home. You do need to check that the area hasnt already imposed BSL laws in the area. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Perhaps you don't need a mobilehome Bro.

Nowadays used motorhomes, travel trailers, 5th wheels, truck campers cost a lot less then they used to. Some good deals are out there. Maybe on Craigslist. You can drive it to your property you get. You can level them much easier then a mobilehome. Most would have a black (toilet) tank & grey (sink water) tank. When necessary you can drive to dump your black tank if land doesn't have septic system.

Some rv's have generators or you can buy a used gen if u don't have electric on land.

Where there is the Will, thar is a Way.

Best of Luck to you Bro.................

Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM

Thought of the RV idea before...not a real permanent solution, but great if I was building.

Went to the library and read up on how to clear land...obviously a job for the pros. I would really need to find land already utilities friendly that just needs a little leveling. Then it is all up the the mobile home mover to transport and set properly.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 AM

68 posts, read 373,468 times
You should get a minimum of 3 acres and not one square foot less. This then will NOT put you under the local laws as to how many dogs you can have . BTDT ...

Look for properties with a County Code 2 as these are in the country and have cheaper real estate taxes.

County Code 1 is city code , so with that you will pay BOTH ....... taxes for 1 & 2

I have a couple of good TN friends into rescue 'big time' . DM me if you want more info. They could help give you pointers on creating your rescue service and lining up fosters to get the dogs ready for adoption to a forever family

I am no expert on this but this is what we have looked for and found out.

Good Luck,
~S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee