U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 PM

3,801 posts, read 3,434,352 times

Advertisements

You described yourself as patient, 3 months is beyond patient in getting an estimate in my book. I once waited for 2 weeks for an estimate on backhoe and hauling. Then contacted another man he came that day, gave the estimate and started 2 days later. Three days after he finished, the first man called wanting to know where to park his equipment. Imagine his surprise.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 AM

646 posts, read 1,154,647 times
I agree that 3 months is a long time- I would not stick with this company. As a general rule- if you have difficulties at this stage, you are very likely that you will have trouble as the work starts.

The only other thing that i can say is that yes on ground pools are very rare here, I seriously doubt anyone that you are contacting knows how to do this. And if I am a contractor and someone emails me for a quote about something I do not know how to do and gives me measurements down to the inch, that scares the crap out of me. That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen- and I would pass on the project.

Lastly, contractors and even handymen that are good and show up for the job, are not hurting for business in most areas even here. They are able to select the most desirable jobs.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 AM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
First, it's not the PM's job to communicate for me. Second, there's no need to meet in person or talk on the phone. Here's the size of the deck, the location - so give me a general ball-park figure what it's going to cost. We can move into the details after I know whether the price will be in the $10-15K range or the $20-30K range.

How difficult is that?

I'm not being unreasonable. My husband has worked with contractors for years. I'm not asking for anything out of the ordinary.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,684,721 times
I got curious over the holiday so I did a little more looking.

Like others, I'd never heard of an "on ground" pool before reading this thread. I found several references where "on ground" and "above ground" were used to refer to a traditional pool built entirely above ground. Other places call what you want a "semi inground" or "semi on ground" pool.

The only "on ground" pool places I found in Nashville were places that sell and/or install pools manufactured by Champlain Plastics (ProPool and Aurora) or Radiant Pools (Blue Diamond, they call them "semi inground"), both made in New York state, but it's very possible I missed a local manufacturer during my limited web search.

I'm not giving excuses for the contractor you contacted; 3 months is beyond excuses. Just trying to pass along info.

Have you contacted one of the pool supply companies to get a list of recommended local contractors? Surely a contractor recommended by the pool seller would know exactly what you're talking about.

Also, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of having an on-site representative who works for YOU and not the contractor. Even if you completely trust the general contractor, most of the time the actual labor is farmed out to a low-bid subcontractor. I recently hired a general contractor to install a new roof, and the work was done by a crew who couldn't speak English. Luckily my wife was home that day. They were about to paper over several pieces of rotten decking and she called them on it. The foreman said it was fine and didn't need replacing. She grabbed a camera to take pictures of the rotten wood and suddenly it was being replaced.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 AM

When/if I finally hire a general contractor, we will have a local person stopping by without notice, etc. Additionally, before final funds are paid, my husband will inspect. We are most concerned with the pool installation; the rest is not like a roof, and any problems will be visible - at least to my husband who will be putting on extensions once he is finished building the solar panels - we are going partially off-grid within the year.

You are correct about the pool dealers in Nashville. I am in touch with one of them now - it's only been a week so I'm not wondering why I cannot get an estimate....yet.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,977,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
When/if I finally hire a general contractor, we will have a local person stopping by without notice, etc. Additionally, before final funds are paid, my husband will inspect. We are most concerned with the pool installation; the rest is not like a roof, and any problems will be visible - at least to my husband who will be putting on extensions once he is finished building the solar panels - we are going partially off-grid within the year.

You are correct about the pool dealers in Nashville. I am in touch with one of them now - it's only been a week so I'm not wondering why I cannot get an estimate....yet.
This aint gonna end pretty I fear.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 AM

4,989 posts, read 4,493,507 times
Have you tried Aloha Pools out of Jackson? We know the family, and they live in Northwest TN. They have multiple locations in TN, KY, MO, but they started in rural west TN. The website says they do on ground pools:
https://www.swimaloha.com/pools-og-shapes.html

And you can go here to contact them through e-mail to explain your situation and see if they can communicate in writing.
https://www.swimaloha.com/requestinfo.html

They might install decks as well, or have a recommended contractor who does.
How far is your house from Nashville? You may not get a response here if they don't do work in your area. Memphis might be a better choice.
I know you are frustrated, but you are moving to a rural area. Most rural areas tend to move a little slower and people respond better to in person contact. That isn't just true in TN. But 3 months is an absurd amout of time for anywhere, so I understand your frustration.

The bigger cities will usually work faster. We've done several major projects at our house, a renovation, landscaping with nice fence, etc. We were able to get quotes within a week and start within a couple of weeks. Our renovation involved our kitchen, living room, and dining room and was done within a month. But it helps that we were local and when little things came up, we could make a quick decision so the project didn't get stalled. It would have been slower and more difficult had we been out of town, and that was with a wonderful, competent contractor.

Here's one more thought. One of my friends own a pool/landscaping company in Memphis. He typically does more high end work, so it might not be a good match for what you want. But he's a small, local company, (and a really nice guy) so I think he would at least respond to your inquiry. Here's his website with an e-mail address:
J Brownlee Design - Contact us today to get your project underway

Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM

I asked Aloha for an estimate for a pressure-treated wood deck and on-the-ground pool. After 2 months, i received the estimate for the inground pool with cement deck and was told they only do custom cement. PERIOD. While I was very happy with the communication, I thought, it ended that we weren't communicating because what I requested is not the estimate I received.

They came highly recommended but I guess that's only if I wanted what they wanted to build.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM

Brentwoodgirl, Thank you, I have written to the contractor in the link you sent.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,078,788 times
I hear its called "Tennessee Time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee