Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I hear its called "Tennessee Time."
Yep! 107 degrees and 99% humidity. Aint NOBODY movin real quick!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Brentwoodgirl, Thank you, I have written to the contractor in the link you sent.

And no response yet. I did, once again, hear from the contractor I've been waiting 3 months for the estimate. Note that an estimate is not a committed price. I'd like a ballpark figure, please. I'd be thrilled with: between $20-25 K.

So, the company in Memphis has not answered my e-mail.

The company I've waited 3 months for an estimate got back to me on Thursday with the promise of an estimate by Monday. That's after 3 months of broken promises. And still no estimate.

And the general contractor in Henderson has still not returned my self-addressed, stamped envelope.

Tennessee must have zero unemployment for everyone to be so busy I can't get responses. Do we need to bring in workers to help out?

How can I budget without a clue what it will really cost? The amount we can budget for additional work is dependent upon whether the pool/deck will cost $10K or $40K. We'd like to build an outdoor kitchen and remodel the indoor kitchen. I also want to install a hot tub and gazebo. I'd rather hire the work out than do it ourselves; but I'm guessing we'll have to plan to do the work ourselves as finding anyone in need of work -or wanting to work- is tough. And here I thought we were going to retire.

I knew from my years in college that life in TN is slower-paced. But I have to tell you that life was much faster down there in the late 60s than it is now!

I remember heading to town one Saturday for shopping and there was a light dusting of snow. The stores closed mid-afternoon and the sidewalks were rolled up. We had to wait hours for the return bus to campus and nothing was open. And, yes, I saw the farmer come to town in his oshgosh bib jeans with the whole family ... in a horse drawn wagon. I kid you not.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Since you can not, or will not use a phone, why not have your husband pick up the phone and call contractors? Over the phone, in a few minutes, you will be able to determine if they are interested in the job, or they do the work that you want, or even know what kind of pool you are talking about.

Since you did find a manufacturer of the pool you want, why not ask them for a local dealer (of their product) in the your area?

While you are great at complaining about the lack of response you are getting, you are not so great about actually using the best method for getting contractors. As others have said, pick up the phone. Contractors use phones......!

In my business I get a few e-mail requests for information/quotes. While I respond to them in a timely basis, I usually only check email before I leave the house in the morning, and in the evening when I get home. I may have email on my smart phone, I am working during the day, and don't have time to continually check emails. In every response, I ask them to CALL THE OFFICE if they want to schedule a job, or IF THEY HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS. Many of them turn out to be what I call "cyber shoppers", clicking away on their computer at 3am, and not serious business. If I got a letter in the mail asking for a quote, I would probably not bother to respond, unless there was some very good reason why they couldn't call.

I'm also not sure why you think the property manager can't handle some of this for you. After all, they are familiar with the property, and have access, AND they are working for you already.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Since you can not, or will not use a phone, why not have your husband pick up the phone and call contractors? Over the phone, in a few minutes, you will be able to determine if they are interested in the job, or they do the work that you want, or even know what kind of pool you are talking about.

Not only is your assumption incorrect, but I've already posted that the 2nd contractor, the one I've been waiting for 3.5 months for an estimate from, said they were very interested in the job. And has said so repeatedly.

Since you did find a manufacturer of the pool you want, why not ask them for a local dealer (of their product) in the your area?

Another example of not reading. I already said I had done so. I received one reply asking for more info which I provided and have not heard back from that contact person for 2 weeks.

While you are great at complaining about the lack of response you are getting, you are not so great about actually using the best method for getting contractors. As others have said, pick up the phone. Contractors use phones......!

What part of "UNABLE" to use a phone do you not understand?

In my business I get a few e-mail requests for information/quotes. While I respond to them in a timely basis, I usually only check email before I leave the house in the morning, and in the evening when I get home. I may have email on my smart phone, I am working during the day, and don't have time to continually check emails. In every response, I ask them to CALL THE OFFICE if they want to schedule a job, or IF THEY HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS. Many of them turn out to be what I call "cyber shoppers", clicking away on their computer at 3am, and not serious business. If I got a letter in the mail asking for a quote, I would probably not bother to respond, unless there was some very good reason why they couldn't call.

So you don't like dealing with things in writing? You don't care if the person you are dealing with is hearing impaired/disabled and this lack of understanding creates an issue? You said/he said type of thing.

The person who is disabled and wants the information in writing rather than verbally is not the person you're willing to do business with. Good for you! You discriminate against the auditory impaired. I don't send e-mails at 3 am. And telling you in the first paragraph of the e-mail or snail mail that I am hearing impaired and cannot communicate on the phone is not what you would consider a very good reason why I need to have everything in writing. Yay for you. Again, your compassion in dealing with the disabled is laudable.

I'm also not sure why you think the property manager can't handle some of this for you. After all, they are familiar with the property, and have access, AND they are working for you already.
She is able to do what she does - which is manage the property, find tenants, collect rent, and arrange for repairs. That's all I contracted with her company to do and that's all she is capable of doing, IMNSHO. It is also not her responsibility.

I have said a thousand times to people, I am only disabled because of others' attitudes towards me. I am capable of doing many different things. I don't require special services to do those things. I ask only for courtesy. If you offer an e-mail address/contact info, and that's how I contact you, it is obviously because a) perhaps my work keeps me from phoning during your business hours; b) perhaps I have a situation that prevents me from understanding the spoken word clearly; c) I wish a response - in kind. If you don't want to get an e-mail, don't post an e-mail address. If you won't respond to snail mail, don't post your address. To ignore my request for information or to respond in a different media is rude.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Annie if what you are doing isn't working then you need to consider trying something else.
Complaining that it's not right won't change anything. Insisting that they are rude and they should respond in the manner you prefer won't change anything. You won't change the way others do things, so the perhaps you should change what you do.

It's unfortunate that you are having so much trouble with this, but the fact is that you are in an area where most contractors aren't in the habit of using the internet for much of their business, and snail mail is a "'when I get around to it" that may or may not happen.
My ex is a contractor out your way, his phone is his business. He has an email address, but almost all of his businees is from word of mouth and phone calls. He is so clueless with the internet that he called me a few weeks ago to ask how to copy paste a link in an email he needed to send.

It is just the way things are done, right or wrong, and there is not a lot you can do about it except find a way to adapt, or have the patience to keep searching until you find someone who is willing to do it the way you prefer.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I am only disabled because of others' attitudes towards me. I am capable of doing many different things. I don't require special services to do those things. I ask only for courtesy.
As long as they meet you on YOUR terms. You ask for things you are not willing to give.

You may be perfectly capable (in theory) of doing many things your way, but you know that to work with others you also have to consider their way.

We have tried to remind you that your way is not the most effective way to work with contractors. Yes, they all SHOULD do the things you have said.

But if you go about a process inefficiently, you cannot expect efficient results.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
So I've been accused of being an impatient Yankee. We are moving in under 3 months and had wanted the deck and pool to be completed before we moved.

Back in January, I contacted a pool/deck company and requested an estimate for a wood deck and on-the-ground pool. It took over a month and the estimate came back very high and was for a concrete patio and in-ground pool. WTF?

So weeks went by and I found a deck contractor. I submitted a link for an on-the-ground pool, overheads of the property, a sketch of the deck with pool and requested an estimate. Mind you, not a contract, just an estimate. A ballpark figure. My first contact with this company was in early March.

Today, I still do not have an estimate. About 2 weeks ago, I received a communication saying they were getting an estimate for an above-ground pool but the person for that company is on a week's vacation. Ummm, it's 3 months after my initial contact and I specifically stated I did not want an ABOVE-ground pool nor an IN-GROUND pool. That e-mail also asked how I intend to pay for the deck and pool being that we are not in the area.

Am I just an impatient yankee?? Am I speaking a foreign language in writing? Is there too much work and too few employees?

I'm bringing money and work to the area that everyone tells me is desperate for work. Why can't I spend my money?

If I can't get a simple estimate for exactly what I ask, how can I trust the company to do the work?

Why would you wait so long for an estimate or quote? I personally tell anyone if I do not have the estimate or quote in writing by the end of the day on Friday I will find someone else. I am NOT a patient person when I am voluntarily asking you for the price on work to be done that I will be paying for.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
NY Annie wrote:

Quote:
What part of "UNABLE" to use a phone do you not understand?
Yet, in the New York City forum you wrote:

Quote:
And today I was barraged with the fastest speaking pre-recorded message I've heard in a long time.
In fact, you wrote:

Quote:
It really doesn't matter what he is - senator or missionary - we will have moved out of state by the next election and I really don't care who does what. I HATE that I pay for their ability to call me. I'd like to find a way to charge for unsolicited phone calls. If I don't know you, don't call me. In fact, the people who know me don't call because the phone is for MY convenience, not theirs. Send an e-mail.
Emphasis mine.

So you can, and do, use the phone.

Here's some advice that you will probably not take, once again, but I will attempt one last time: You are moving into a new area. Try to assimilate rather than make things difficult. All of this fussing is going to make things worse for you.

I don't mean this in an angry or cruel way but I think you are making things much more difficult on yourself and I'm not sure why. Perhaps there is more going on then you are letting on?

My e-mail to Michael Grimm explaining why I will vote

Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
This thread has just gone nowhere despite many attempts to help. Thank you posters for all of your helpful posts. We appreciate your participation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee