U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 23,617 times
Default Anyone not so in love with Tennessee?

I love reading posts across the city-data forum. There seems to be a real love-fest for Tennessee....maybe to its detriment since that is what causes people to mass infiltrate an area to its ruination. I am just honestly curious. Are there people out there not so in love with living in the state and looking to move out?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,101,861 times
I think if this board had more representation from West Tennessee, you would see more variety of opinion. The differences between West Tennessee and the rest of the state are significant.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 AM

6,300 posts, read 15,508,771 times
Well, City-Data is certainly an interesting and useful site . . . but I don't think it has quite that much influence to cause mass migration.

But, to answer your question, I've seen a few posters around who didn't or don't like living in Tennessee for one reason or the other (a couple of them really hate it). And that's okay . . . not everyplace is right for everyone.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM

9,025 posts, read 21,207,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Well, City-Data is certainly an interesting and useful site . . . but I don't think it has quite that much influence to cause mass migration.

But, to answer your question, I've seen a few posters around who didn't or don't like living in Tennessee for one reason or the other (a couple of them really hate it). And that's okay . . . not everyplace is right for everyone.
Exactly. There are 300 million people in the US, and only a few dozen who post in the Tennessee forum. I would hardly call that representative of some mass migration. In addition, Census figures clearly show that Tennessee is NOT growing as fast as places like Florida even though if you were to look at the Florida forum you'd think the entire state is moving out.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 5,076 times
Some parts of TN are the current recipients of folks running out of FL because they don't have any money to live 20 min from the beach so all of these like-minded folks are becoming boosters of TN, SC and NC (although NC is becominging too expensive). I bet a lot of people in FL are glad to see these folks go anyway, Moderator cut: insults are not nessesary nor appreciated

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-02-2007 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM

364 posts, read 706,862 times
A couple of things I have gotten from my scouting trips. 1 is a dislike the other is more of something that happened:

1) Dislike - There is a haze in maryville and chattanooga so you do not get truly sunny days. Except when a cold front of something comes from what I hear. While most people will say it is due to the mountains a few people from there have said it is partly pollution.

2) On this particular trip people in GA were nicer than the people in TN. Not to say TN people were not nice, they were, just the GA people were that truly that classic southern hospatality. I am sure it was just this trip.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:49 PM

5,536 posts, read 9,050,439 times
I love the natural beauty here in east TN, and my family that live here. Many of the people are very nice, too. At the same time, the political mindset of the region can be totally frustrating. There are some truly amazing thinkers here, as anywhere, but the massive overlay of ignorance and antintellectualism is at times almost too much to bear. I realize, though, that it is the same in much of the country, but it seems superconcentrated here in the South.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM

22,368 posts, read 17,256,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Star View Post
I love reading posts across the city-data forum. There seems to be a real love-fest for Tennessee....maybe to its detriment since that is what causes people to mass infiltrate an area to its ruination. I am just honestly curious. Are there people out there not so in love with living in the state and looking to move out?
We've seen such posts.

I've been posting here for a year and moved here in May. Let me see if I can sum up some things I have gleaned from various posts and add my own two cents.

1. If you are moving to Tennessee because it's comparatively cheap and you have to find a job, you will find out that with a cheaper cost of living, typically comes lower pay. So, don't expect to make a killing by moving here if you are still part of the workforce and have a good salary now, no matter how impressive you think your resume is. "But, I 'm so worth more." People move here for the affordable living, then complain about the pay.

2. The wonder of you will not neccesarily be noticable to prospective employers because if someone local with similar qualifications applies for the job, that Tennessee guy (meant non-gender specifically) will get hired and you may not even get an interview. Don't move here without doing some serious job research and making inquiries, first. Preferably, have a job waiting for you. "They didn't hire me because they're all a bunch of good ole boys!" Awwww shucks.

3. If you are moving here because of cheap and weather, you aren't going to be happy here, or for that matter, any other cheap sunny place you move to. If you want to move here, have a reason for choosing Whateverville, Tennessee besides cheap and weather. What do you plan to do after you get here that makes Whateverville, Tennessee the town of choice? "Waaah, waaah, waaaah, I'm so bored," is pretty much your own fault for choosing poorly.

4. If you have to say "we did it this way in Somecity, Florida" or "such and such was better in Otherplace, NY" or "what's wrong with you people in Whateverville, TN" perhaps you should remember that you are like a planet in the solar system. The sun doesn't revolve around you. People expect newcomers to adapt to them and their culture, not the other way around. "People here are stupid and they won't play with me!" will get you a bless your heart and directions to I-95.

5. If you are moving here to escape some intolerable condition in Somecity, Florida or Otherplace, NY, don't overcompensate. Just because you can't stand traffic, rude people and crowded conditions in Somecity, Florida (population 80,000) doesn't mean you are well-suited to Forrested Bible Mountain, Tennessee, population 800. It will look like paradise for the first 3 weeks. Then, what do you do? You rarely hear the words, "We did lousy research" as the moving van goes over the state line.

6. Going on vacation to a town is not the same thing as living in that town no matter how many years you've visited. Driving 30 miles down Bible Mountain, TN in July to go to an annual fair is not the same as driving down the icy Bible Mountain road in January to go to the supermarket or to take your kid to school five days per week. Living at Big Bear Lodge for 1 week in July, every year for the last 10 years is not the same as looking for your favorite products in the supermarket, finding books in the library, finding and going to a doctor, finding an auto mechanic, putting your kid in a decent school, etc. - all things you don't do when you are on vacation. Check those things out when you visit if you are considering a move to your vacation town. "They were shooting guns in their backyard! That never happened at Big Bear Lodge." Uh huh.

7. Unless you are in the tourist business, work in some occupation related to tourism/visitors, don't move to a Touristville, TN. You can aways go to the tourist spots. You don't have to live there. "OMIGOD, THERE'S SO MUCH TRAFFIC IN GATLINBURG!" Well, duh!

8. Read the local/community news in the Whateverville, Tennessee online local newspaper for months before you move. Read the Events Calendar page. If the newspaper isn't online, see if you can subscribe to it. What do people in the town like to do according to those local news stories or events calendar. Does it sound like the kinds of things you like to do? Do the people sound like your kind of people? If not, don't move there. What's the future of the town looking like? Read the town hall/community meetings/planning board stories so you can find out if they plan to put a new 4 lane road next to your property, 6 month from now. "These people just want to go to church, shoot guns and race pickup trucks," can only be followed with," So then, why did you move there?"

9. Rural doesn't necessarily equal Crime Free. Come with both eyes open.

10. People who slink out of town usually whine in the "next best place" forum, not here, hence the love.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:12 PM

443 posts, read 1,043,300 times
Default Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleInTN View Post
Some parts of TN are the current recipients of folks running out of FL because they don't have any money to live 20 min from the beach so all of these like-minded folks are becoming boosters of TN, SC and NC (although NC is becominging too expensive). I bet a lot of people in FL are glad to see these folks go anyway, Moderator cut: cut, see Origonal post

Moderator cut: orphaned
I moved to Fl. 27 years ago . I am a nurse. My husband is the senior director of physical plant for a major university. We have never cared to live down near the water and instead have a home quite large, on almost 2 acres of land about 20 miles from the water. We have a bunch of friends here.

The people that we can not stand in Florida are the rude people. You know, people who summise without really knowing what is going on. It is also the fact that our homeowners insurance has gone up 4,000.00 this year. Our taxes are high as well. I am tired of hurricaines. There are no seasons and I miss that. There are many reasons also, for which I really do not have to justify to anyone...but that just was not nice to write..... Moderator cut: orphaned .

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-02-2007 at 04:50 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM

2,199 posts, read 4,956,934 times
You go, LauraC! True words spoken with wit and aplomb!

That two cents is worth a dollar, at least, so let us know where to send them and we'll pass around a plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee