U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Stick to Knox County and you will be fine. There are plenty of rural areas in this county. I've seen some alpacas just off of I-75 and Raccoon Valley Road, in fact.

We are dead last in tax burden in the country, even with the sales tax. Google Tax Foundation and you will see what I mean. And by "we" I mean "Tennessee."
That's awesome. This area is a big tourist area, right?

I was also advised that the Gatlinburg area was very artist oriented. Would you say Knoxville would be too?

While I will have studio space at home, I'd like to have the future option of opening a store.

My creations aren't country style but perhaps bohemian modern.

I really don't need local buyers but think a store would be a nice way to become a more active part of the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I was also advised that the Gatlinburg area was very artist oriented. Would you say Knoxville would be too?

While I will have studio space at home, I'd like to have the future option of opening a store.

I really don't need local buyers but think a store would be a nice way to become a more active part of the community.
No. Knoxville is not a big tourist area. You are confusing our area with the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville tourist trap. That's about 30 minutes to one hour away, depending on location. There is an arts and crafts loop in Gatlinburg. There is some good stuff to God-awful offerings. Depends on your perspective, I guess. Some people think the Gatlinburg area is stunningly beautiful. Not the national park. That is wonderful of course. But a lot of people consider it tacky. For instance, my dad drove his Mercedes through it like it was on fire!

Knoxville's downtown is very small but nicely restored. It recently underwent a bit of a rennaisance. It has some nice galleries and a tiny but nice art museum as well as our university which sits downtown on the banks of the Tennessee. It is not a hotbed of artistic activity, though. You might want to check out Asheville, North Carolina as well. It's hard to tell what would be a good fit for you, since this is the internet.

Arts & Culture Alliance - Home

Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Knoxville's downtown is very small but nicely restored. It recently underwent a bit of a rennaisance. It has some nice galleries and a tiny but nice art museum as well as our university which sits downtown on the banks of the Tennessee. It is not a hotbed of artistic activity, though.
That sounds much better than a tacky artist tourist area.

Quote:
You might want to check out Asheville, North Carolina as well. It's hard to tell what would be a good fit for you, since this is the internet.
I want to stay in TN for taxes. Thanks for sharing. I'll figure it out. I'm just using the internet as a starting point.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:10 PM

39,055 posts, read 37,695,377 times
Quote:
I don't need to be surrounded by like-minded folks. I don't even need to only socialize with like-minded folks. I just need to be around tollerant people.

I can handle building codes. We keep our property well-maintained. I just used that as an example of how tollerant people are in my region.
One man's "tolerance" is another person's "permissiveness."

Tolerant people are generally educated people.

In Tennessee, though, as I'm sure it is in other states, the more rural areas with few rules do not always = "Walden."

In the very popular suburbs around the four main cities, you will find more property restrictions. For example, the police in my town won't issue you a ticket if your grass is too long, but the codes department will let you know you are in violation of a city ordinance, which they will fine you for if you ignore them.

Also in my town, for example, you need at least 3 acres to own livestock of any kind, including chickens.

I know you aren't worried about cutting the grass, but what I'm saying is that it isn;t always just "up to the neighbors" to live and let live. So your best bet is to zero in on an area, then do serious research, before you make an offer, on that area's municipal/county codes if you don't want to get harrassed about what you do/leave sitting out on your property.

Your lack of religion will only be a problem for you insofar as you will probably hear and see more "religious stuff" than you are used to (generalizing ... I don't know your area) and therefore be more sensitive to it. Tennessee is in the Bible belt.

The best advice for transplants coming here is that you get what you give.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:

You don't need to stick to the four big cities (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga). Smaller college towns would also work just fine, specifically Johnson City and Cookeville.

In the case of Cookeville, if you're outside of the city limits there is no zoning whatsoever, so you can do whatever you want, grow whatever you want, build whatever you want, raise whatever you want on your own land (unless, of course, you've bought land in a planned development). Cookeville is also trying to attract more artists to the area and has quite an active artists community:

Art 'Round Tennessee - ART Prowl Studio & Gallery Tour | Cookeville TN
http://www.finecrafts.org/
http://www.magicalmusegallery.com/index.asp?i=87
http://galleryartalacarte.com/default.html

In addition, the Appalachian Center for Craft is located just outside of Cookeville. It's a large, 87,000 square foot facility located on 500 acres overlooking beautiful Center Hill Lake and is part of Tennessee Tech University. It's always looking for instructors and artists-in-residence and routinely has exhibitions highlighting students and area artists. In addition, its mere presence has attracted many like-minded artists to the Cookeville area.

Appalachian Center for Craft | Tennessee Tech University

Country music is probably the most popular kind of music in Tennessee, but one of the South's largest festivals of Americana music takes place twice a year, every spring and fall, just outside of Cookeville:
http://www.jamminathippiejacks.com/joomla/index.php/en/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 07-27-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,640,709 times
[QUOTE
One more thing. I assume country music is all the rage there. I hate country music. I'm hoping I can find good southern rock or bluegrass performances.[/quote]

I don't know about southern rock, but there's plenty of bluegrass here. Country music died about 15 years ago, unless you're referring to the pop slop that masquerades as country on many radio stations.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
We certainly have subdivisions with rules in Knox County but we also have plenty of areas that aren't like that, places that aren't "regulated." It's one of the reasons that I love this area after fleeing from Florida where a lot of town regulated your lawn, your mailbox, the color of your house...Most of Knox is not like that. No worries there.

Hopes, it looks like a visit is in order!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM

4,743 posts, read 8,439,376 times
A liberal fleeing taxes? Bless your heart. If you move to TN, please keep in mind why you want to leave PA.

Raising alpacas in the hot and humid climate of TN is possible, but it seems that the animals are used more as pets / curiousities / breeding than livestock. The climate provides some challenges for gardening (torrential rain, periods of drought, summer heat, winter freeze), but the longer growing season and warmth can help provide great results.

People may ask you to church. They do this to be friendly (and because they genuinely don't want anyone to burn in hell forever). Just say no thank you. Nuff said.

It seems like you want some land with few restrictions, which leads me to recommend small town or rural areas. In these areas, your right to privacy and to do what you want with your own property will probably be satisfied.

Finding an artsy small town is a bit of a challenge, but I like Bell Buckle (south of Murfreesboro) and Sewanee / Monteagle (northwest of Chattanooga). Both areas have a small arts scene, beautiful countryside (IMO Sewanee is much more scenic), and are convenient to larger metros.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Great feedback, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The best advice for transplants coming here is that you get what you give.
As with anywhere, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You don't need to stick to the four big cities (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga). Smaller college towns would also work just fine, specifically Johnson City and Cookeville.

In the case of Cookeville, if you're outside of the city limits there is no zoning whatsoever, so you can do whatever you want, grow whatever you want, build whatever you want, raise whatever you want on your own land (unless, of course, you've bought land in a planned development). Cookeville is also trying to attract more artists to the area and has quite an active artists community:

Art 'Round Tennessee - ART Prowl Studio & Gallery Tour | Cookeville TN
Highland Rim Chapter of TACA Home Page
Magical Muse Gallery: Original Art - Digiographs, Drawings, Jewelry, Mixed Media - For Every Budget
Home

In addition, the Appalachian Center for Craft is located just outside of Cookeville. It's a large, 87,000 square foot facility located on 500 acres overlooking beautiful Center Hill Lake and is part of Tennessee Tech University. It's always looking for instructors and artists-in-residence and routinely has exhibitions highlighting students and area artists. In addition, its mere presence has attracted many like-minded artists to the Cookeville area.

Appalachian Center for Craft | Tennessee Tech University
Great links! They are more my style compared to the folky/tacky stuff I saw on a Gatlnburg website.

I'm a textile design artist and dabble in other areas too. That's why I need outbuildings. Textiles take a lot of space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Country music is probably the most popular kind of music in Tennessee, but one of the South's largest festivals of Americana music takes place twice a year, every spring and fall, just outside of Cookeville:
Jammin at Hippie Jack's | Council of Americana Roots Music
Small world! I stumbled upon hippie jack's website last year when I was searching for music festivals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I don't know about southern rock, but there's plenty of bluegrass here.
I'm a classic rock girl at heart but I can appreciate bluegrass and many other types of music, just not country.

Quote:
Hopes, it looks like a visit is in order!
Yes! I'm already planning our trip! It will be sometime after our trip to Alaska and Washington state next month. Probably sometime in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
A liberal fleeing taxes? Bless your heart. If you move to TN, please keep in mind why you want to leave PA.
I know what "bless your heart" means.

I'm not really a liberal. I'm center, but I know I'll seem liberal down there. Hubby and I are more into less government/taxes and big time embrace personal freedoms. There isn't a political party that defines us properly. The less government is involved in/regulating ANY aspect of our lives, the better!

Quote:
People may ask you to church. They do this to be friendly (and because they genuinely don't want anyone to burn in hell forever). Just say no thank you. Nuff said.
I'd definitely go if invited! I grew up Catholic but attended many other services with friends as a child and an adult. I raised my children by exposing them to many different religious beliefs because I wanted them to be educated about the world and form their own beliefs about religion without pressure from me or anyone. I've always wanted to attend a Baptist service. Never been to one. Remember, agonstic doesn't mean athiest. It means "I don't know."

Quote:
Finding an artsy small town is a bit of a challenge, but I like Bell Buckle (south of Murfreesboro) and Sewanee / Monteagle (northwest of Chattanooga). Both areas have a small arts scene, beautiful countryside (IMO Sewanee is much more scenic), and are convenient to larger metros.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
I think a stop in Johnson City (tri-cities) might be worthwhile also. JC is an hour form both Asheville and here> Heartwood > Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or