U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:00 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
A liberal fleeing taxes? Bless your heart. If you move to TN, please keep in mind why you want to leave PA.
Felt like clarifying further. I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. Except for guns, I like guns. I'm conservative on a few other social issues, but not many. A person doesn't need to be conservative on social issues to be conservative on fiscal issues. Sadly, our party system doesn't represent those of us who think outside of the typical boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:10 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not really a liberal. I'm center, but I know I'll seem liberal down there. Hubby and I are more into less government/taxes and big time embrace personal freedoms. There isn't a political party that defines us properly. The less government is involved in/regulating ANY aspect of our lives, the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Felt like clarifying further. I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. Except for guns, I like guns. I'm conservative on a few other social issues, but not many. A person doesn't need to be conservative on social issues to be conservative on fiscal issues. Sadly, our party system doesn't represent those of us who think outside of the typical boxes.
I can't stress enough how well you will fit in around Knoxville as well as East Tennessee. We are stereotyped as right-wing radicals and we are not. We are generally libretarian. Your philosophy is the same as most of us.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:32 AM

4,743 posts, read 8,439,376 times
Hopes - the phrase "Bless your heart" has a subtle complexity; it is not (as some might believe) invariably pejorative. At times it is sympathetic and at other times it implies nuance; and on occasion it can be harsh (watch out for "bless your little heart" unless directed at children). In this case the phrase was used to surface the issue of people moving into the South (for whatever reason - jobs, taxes) and then complaining about the policies that fostered an environment for job growth (e.g., right to work) or lower taxes (e.g., fewer services). IMO it happens all too often and those people usually regret the move.

Tennesseans generally live and let live (to a point). As hiknapster said, there is a streak of libertarian in the state.

Come for a visit, I'm certain yinz'll love it.

Last edited by Reactionary; 07-28-2012 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
You also titled your thread as a liberal but then immediately explained your position as a left-leaning moderate so there seems to be some confusion. I get it, though. I call myself a liberal but when pressed I say I'm a left-leaning moderate and then once I start expanding on my beliefs it really shows that I am a moderate that doesn't believe in gun control.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary
In this case the phrase was used to surface the issue of people moving into the South (for whatever reason - jobs, taxes) and then complaining about the policies that fostered an environment for job growth (e.g., right to work) or lower taxes (e.g., fewer services). IMO it happens all too often and those people usually regret the move.
I think my initial post clearly indicated I was concerned about the social aspects, not the fiscal aspects. I'm confident I'll be very comfortable with the fiscal climate of TN. I don't need services. I already live in a right to work state. Actually, PA isn't extremely liberal, except for Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. It's all Alabama in between. It's really a moderate state. That's why it's considered a swing state because we'll vote either way.

Quote:
Tennesseans generally live and let live (to a point). As hiknapster said, there is a streak of libertarian in the state.
Great to hear!

Quote:
Come for a visit, I'm certain yinz'll love it.
Funny! Since I moved around the world and the country as a child, I speak "TV newscaster" English. No accent.

I'm looking forward to visiting. I'm sure I will love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You also titled your thread as a liberal but then immediately explained your position as a left-leaning moderate so there seems to be some confusion.
As a moderate, my experience has been that liberals consider me to be conservative and conservatives consider me to be liberal. Hence, if I'm moving to conservative Tennessee, I'll be a liberal to the native population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I get it, though. I call myself a liberal but when pressed I say I'm a left-leaning moderate and then once I start expanding on my beliefs it really shows that I am a moderate that doesn't believe in gun control.
That's me! I also love the environment but strongly oppose environmentalists who hinder proper forrest management, etc. I could go on and on about the various ways I don't subscribe to either side.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM

48 posts, read 82,458 times
I've lived in Clarksville, Cookeville, Murfreesboro, and spent some time in Knoxville and I'd have to say my favorite area of the state is the eastern side. I love Knoxville and Johnson City. The people are friendly and they're very respectful, not to mention it's beautiful there! As an agnostic libertarian, I've fit in pretty much anywhere but I also keep to myself half the time.

Cookeville is a very small town and relatively safe, to me they're more religious there but if you keep quiet they'll leave you alone. Cookeville doesn't have much appeal to me except for the cute local shops. I'm more of a larger town/city girl though, so that's probably why.

Clarksville is bad. Crime is bad. It's just bad.

Murfreesboro is a great little city, lots of things to do, great bike trails, open minded people, different walks of life. I really like the Boro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or