U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,172 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to relocate from New York to Tennessee. We would like to stay more towards the Eastern part of Tennessee, between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Looking for a small to medium size town > 15,000 people, low crime rates, lower cost of living, low unemployment rates, good schools as well as hospitals and doctors offices including pediatrics. Half hour to forty five minute commute time to bigger city. Farm friendly area. Preferably around a body of water. (lake, river,etc) Any information on jobs, housing listings, schools, etc will help. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,696,492 times
Good luck in your search.
Pam

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 AM

371 posts, read 596,875 times
Go to the Chatt and Knox forums and use the "search this forum" button. You will find numerous threads that should answer a lot of your questions. I would suggest having a job lined up before coming down.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,710,458 times
Bristol or Johnson City....Tri Cities area sounds good for what you're looking for.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt.Bwr View Post
My family and I are looking to relocate from New York to Tennessee. We would like to stay more towards the Eastern part of Tennessee, between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Looking for a small to medium size town > 15,000 people, low crime rates, lower cost of living, low unemployment rates, good schools as well as hospitals and doctors offices including pediatrics. Half hour to forty five minute commute time to bigger city. Farm friendly area. Preferably around a body of water. (lake, river,etc) Any information on jobs, housing listings, schools, etc will help. Thank You.
Just keep in mind, as with any other state, small towns do not go hand in hand with low unemployment, good schools and quality amenities. The cost of living may be lower but for a reason. Small towns most often will have a small tax base thus get less funding for their school system, officers, fire departments, etc. Also quality doctors and facilities will go where the money is. Much of the crime associated with smaller towns is related to meth and prescription pills, so you have that. Most likely one will need to commute to a larger city (generally 45 min to 1 hr.+) for employment, certain medical care, shopping, entertainment etc. depending on what your needs are.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,640,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt.Bwr View Post
The Cleveland, TN area might be a good fit for you.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:48 PM

1,232 posts, read 4,174,791 times
B.B. : WELCOME , I think you have a good adventure ahead of you .. Prior Troy NY & many years Poughkeespie, NY. The entire lenght of the TN river flows down just to the West of Int-75. All of the newer commerce is along this route.. We are south of Dayton on the west side of the lake / river , BUT
retired. You have some good replies from my neighbors above & I agree with all. Slightly closer to Chattanooga , is farm , FLAT region , many 5 acre , prior horse plots in BIRCHWOOD. This is just N.W. of Cleveland , which is expanding their AIRPORT.. recently AMAZON built large plant here. Car industry supplliers came here with VW, Also WACKER Silicon high tech..

. Just north of Knoxville is GREENEVILLE / Tusculum along Rt # 321 Scenic hwy. I also liked this area.
Like mention above , if best schools are needed for Elementaly / High , the parents should lean for
Private / religious schools. Some tuition , or apply for assistance. These places will prep for college entry & scholarships. .. Again if you are running a producing farm I would look for a minimun of 15 acres , As I believe there is a Lower rate Green-Belt TAX Evaluation / structure state wide. ?
. Here is a typical lake picture / as it is in one of many COVES off the MAIN channel of the river.. Our house in on top of the trees , upper right corner.. Sometimes one can find BUFFER / wooded land behind ones house for privacy & water access.. TVA ,( electrical) agency lowers water about 6 feet in winter via the many Dams. Some houses on Summer water have their docks (High & dry over the winter) thus a lower real estate price. The DEEP water or MAIN channel will normally have Higher asking prices. Plenty of places for fishing , good canoe / kayak paddle FLAT water creeks that can go a few miles.. I was out swimming today & Three more upper 80's temps forecast for this weekend.. Clean water & different sand bars.

Last edited by SPLIT; 08-24-2012 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: PIC

Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
Knoxville, Oak Ridge and Maryville have good schools. Sorry, but you don't need to pay for private schools. Not that we don't have them here; we do. But there isn't a need. Split, maybe that is a necessity in Chattanooga. Maybe not. I don't know.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:29 AM

233 posts, read 462,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Knoxville, Oak Ridge and Maryville have good schools. Sorry, but you don't need to pay for private schools. Not that we don't have them here; we do. But there isn't a need. Split, maybe that is a necessity in Chattanooga. Maybe not. I don't know.
It isn't a necessity in Chattanooga, but its an option. Chattanooga has several well known private schools, and as a result, a lot of people will send kids there rather than public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee