U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,610,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
Thanks all. Regarding murders in baltimore it is closer to 400+ My sister is a parametic in the city and if some dies on the strret they count it as a murder but if they die in the hospital they do not count it a homicide. They play the numbers.
How bout the Sparta TN area. My sister got her german sheppard from a breeder there.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Anywhere in TN is beautiful, even the flats in West TN. Check out Fayette County, it's got a cool little downtown area in Somerville and space is good. Bolivar is also a nice area, and it's not too far from Memphis, Jackson, and just about 2/12 hrs from Nashville. Also, Chattanooga is just across 64. So depending on what convenient is, Bolivar could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We move in 4 weeks. In the area where we bought our home, we have already made friends with many transplants - one from Ct, a couple from Chicago area, and another couple from Michigan. There's plenty land where we are going, stores aren't around the corner, but they are close enough. It's quiet and low crime. We've already been contacted by our neighbors (and I didn't think we had any!) and have 2 people keeping an eye on the house and the construction of the pool. I've been watching the weather for the last 2 years (since we bought) and comparing side by side on weather.com. It seems with just a few days exceptions to be almost the same weather we've had here in NYC. We're near the "horrible, scary city" of Memphis, actually an hour away in McNairy county.

Nope, don't live there yet, but I did live east of Knoxville for almost 2 years. It's a nice state for retirement. Just gonna take you a while to get used to s-l-o-w. Took us over 8 months to get a quote and contract to build our deck and pool; but all should be completed by move-in.

Hiya Annie. McNairy county is a great place. I thought you had already made it here for some reason. When you get time, check out 'Tri State Mob'. Great book and gives you a glimpse about the past, and some things to talk to the locals about. And they do loving talking about it. I talked to a guy from Corinth, MS about it one time and three hrs later...

Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM

207 posts, read 312,951 times
We aren't an old couple. We just started working when we were young and can retire in our late 40's. Thanks for all the areas to look into. You all been wonderful.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
All of Tennessee uses UCR as does Baltimore.

FBI — Table 4

Let's be clear. I didn't say Memphis was worse. I said:

Quote:
Crime rate is far better than near Baltimore unless you are talking Memphis.
However, according to CD the crime rate for Baltimore is 681 and Memphis is 756 in 2010. Memphis is in the top of the list from the FBI for most violent crime year after year and in the top of many lists as dangerous city.

I don't dislike Memphis and have said so. I especially like many of its people. But it has a history of crime and that cannot be denied. Not that Baltimore is great. But the OP is trying to avoid that sort of area and moving to Memphis is just going to more of the same, crime-wise.

And yes, Anne, Memphis can be scary. But hey, you know all about this subject since you lived in Tennessee 40 years ago and 500 miles away from Memphis.

Last edited by JMT; 08-27-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
All of Tennessee uses UCR as does Baltimore.

FBI — Table 4

Let's be clear. I didn't say Memphis was worse. I said:

However, according to CD the crime rate for Baltimore is 681 and Memphis is 756 in 2010. Memphis is in the top of the list from the FBI for most violent crime year after year and in the top of many lists as dangerous city.

I don't dislike Memphis and have said so. I especially like many of its people. But it has a history of crime and that cannot be denied. Not that Baltimore is great. But the OP is trying to avoid that sort of area and moving to Memphis is just going to more of the same, crime-wise.

And yes, Anne, Memphis can be scary. But hey, you know all about this subject since you lived in Tennessee 40 years ago and 500 miles away from Memphis.

I am done with this thread.

And all of TN does NOT use UCR. ANd if Batimore is not counting homidudes int eh hospital like the OP states, I highly doubt Baltimore uses it either. If they did, this would not be the case and 'play' numbers as they said. Why can't you just admit you don't know what you are talking about sometimes and stop taking jabs? I live in Memphis and have 2 kids who love it. I have another that attends one of those 'horrible, scary' Memphis City schools, and has a scholarship from Georgetown University. I only live 2 miles from Beale in the middle of it all, it is a great place. Just not for everyone.

Maybe Jabigitlu will chime in.

I am out. OP if you need anything, Annie will be a great help to you. She will be a great Tennessean, and neighbor.

Last edited by JMT; 08-27-2012 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Removed offensive and off topic language.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM

The officials say crime in down in Baltimore but it's not. They lie. There is a drug war going on. Even the safe areas in Baltimore i.e. the inner harbor, fells point, etc are getting more dangerous. There are at least 7 or so murders a day here.

I am going to post in the other section about Sparta.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 PM

I want the s-l-o-w pace. It's to rush, hurry give it to me yesterday up here.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
The most dangerous cities in America

5. Memphis, Tenn.
> Violent crimes per 1,000: 15.8
> Population: 652,725
> 2011 murders: 117
> Median income: $37,045
> Unemployment rate: 11.1%

In 2011, Memphis defied the national trend of declining crime rates in major U.S. cities. The rate of violent crimes per 1,000 people increased, from 15.4 to 15.8. This was the product of increases in murders, which rose from 89 to 117 cases, and aggravated assault incidents, which rose by 100 cases. A rising unemployment rate, which grew 1.2% to 11.1% in 2011, likely has not helped to reduce criminal behavior. With a current budget deficit of $45 million, Mayor Wharton says he may need to consider “taking boots off the street,” by laying off members of the police force in the near future.

9. Baltimore, Md.
> Violent crimes per 1,000: 14.2
> Population: 626,848
> 2011 murders: 196
> Median income: $38,346
> Unemployment rate: 10.5%

Baltimore managed to decrease its violent crime rate slightly from 14.6 per 1,000 in 2010 to 14.2 last year. This coincides with a 12% decrease in murders. However, Baltimore still has the sixth-highest homicide rate of any U.S. city with a population above 100,000. Baltimore’s murder rate has been dropping steadily, but with 341 forcible rape cases in 2011 and the 11th-highest aggravated assault rate in the country, many residents are victims. In 2010, Baltimore made plans to layoff 193 police due to budget cuts.

Read more: The Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St. The Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The most dangerous cities in America

5. Memphis, Tenn.
> Violent crimes per 1,000: 15.8
> Population: 652,725
> 2011 murders: 117
> Median income: $37,045
> Unemployment rate: 11.1%

In 2011, Memphis defied the national trend of declining crime rates in major U.S. cities. The rate of violent crimes per 1,000 people increased, from 15.4 to 15.8. This was the product of increases in murders, which rose from 89 to 117 cases, and aggravated assault incidents, which rose by 100 cases. A rising unemployment rate, which grew 1.2% to 11.1% in 2011, likely has not helped to reduce criminal behavior. With a current budget deficit of $45 million, Mayor Wharton says he may need to consider “taking boots off the street,” by laying off members of the police force in the near future.

9. Baltimore, Md.
> Violent crimes per 1,000: 14.2
> Population: 626,848
> 2011 murders: 196
> Median income: $38,346
> Unemployment rate: 10.5%

Baltimore managed to decrease its violent crime rate slightly from 14.6 per 1,000 in 2010 to 14.2 last year. This coincides with a 12% decrease in murders. However, Baltimore still has the sixth-highest homicide rate of any U.S. city with a population above 100,000. Baltimore’s murder rate has been dropping steadily, but with 341 forcible rape cases in 2011 and the 11th-highest aggravated assault rate in the country, many residents are victims. In 2010, Baltimore made plans to layoff 193 police due to budget cuts.

Read more: The Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St. The Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St.

Why not add a Forbes link too?

FBI — Caution Against Ranking

And that is from the FBI.

Make valid assessments of crime

It is incumbent upon all data users to become as well educated as possible about how to understand and quantify the nature and extent of crime in the United States and in any of the more than 18,000 jurisdictions represented by law enforcement contributors to the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the various unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction.
Historically, the causes and origins of crime have been the subjects of investigation by many disciplines. Some factors that are known to affect the volume and type of crime occurring from place to place are:
  • Population density and degree of urbanization.
  • Variations in composition of the population, particularly youth concentration.
  • Stability of the population with respect to residents’ mobility, commuting patterns, and transient factors.
  • Modes of transportation and highway system.
  • Economic conditions, including median income, poverty level, and job availability.
  • Cultural factors and educational, recreational, and religious characteristics.
  • Family conditions with respect to divorce and family cohesiveness.
  • Climate.
  • Effective strength of law enforcement agencies.
  • Administrative and investigative emphases of law enforcement.
  • Policies of other components of the criminal justice system (i.e., prosecutorial, judicial, correctional, and probational).
  • Citizens’ attitudes toward crime.
  • Crime reporting practices of the citizenry.
Crime in the United States provides a nationwide view of crime based on statistics contributed by local, state, tribal, and federal law enforcement agencies. Population size and student enrollment are the only correlates of crime presented in this publication. Although many of the listed factors equally affect the crime of a particular area, the UCR Program makes no attempt to relate them to the data presented. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, counties, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population coverage or student enrollment. Until data users examine all the variables that affect crime in a town, city, county, state, region, or other jurisdiction, they can make no meaningful comparisons.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,222,216 times
Why not start a Baltimore vs Memphis thread in city vs city.

If the OP is considering Sparta he doesn't want a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or