U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM

192 posts, read 287,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's an understatement. There may not be any "gangs" but Cocke County can be as scary as some of the worst inner cities. And what is even more frightening is traditionally people in power in that area are in on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's been known as a hotbed of corruption for decades. Here's a pretty thorough history:

Cocke County Confidential Information & News from Knoxville News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)
Thanks. Ill be honest, I just skimmed it. But it seems like most of these people pretty much keep to themselves. I dont see any serial killers or anything. Not saying that makes it okay and I definitely wont go there, but I am still wondering what makes it 'scary'. Here, scary is the feeling that you get when a van pulls up to park on the street where you are walking and you fear you might just be pulled into it. Are you considered tresspassing if you dont live there and will get beat up kind of scary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM

39,195 posts, read 37,806,900 times
To me, it's worse because it's the kind of scary where you can't get help if you are a victim because those who would help may be partners with those who victimized you.

Sure, you might accidentally "trespass" on someone's property, if they say so. You might unknowingly walk into a restaurant that is a cover for a prostitution ring. Your car might get "stolen." If the ones who make the rules are corrupt, who's to say you didn't do something illegal? Who will be on your side?

Even if you just skimmed it, the list of charges should at least make you pause: "drug trafficking, chop shops, the hijacking of interstate shipments, organized gambling, prostitution, fraud, attempted money laundering, racketeering and public corruption."

All of that stuff affects the residents, at the least financially, at the most in quality of life, even if they aren't directly involved in the crime.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
To me, it's worse because it's the kind of scary where you can't get help if you are a victim because those who would help may be partners with those who victimized you.

Even if you just skimmed it, the list of charges should at least make you pause: "drug trafficking, chop shops, the hijacking of interstate shipments, organized gambling, prostitution, fraud, attempted money laundering, racketeering and public corruption."

All of that stuff affects the residents, even if they aren't directly involved.
That is a good point. Ill keep my distance when I get to Tennessee. Thank you for the info. Im planning on settling down in Carter County

Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM

2,083 posts, read 2,012,568 times
Quote:

Sure, you might accidentally "trespass" on someone's property, if they say so. You might unknowingly walk into a restaurant that is a cover for a prostitution ring. Your car might get "stolen." If the ones who make the rules are corrupt, who's to say you didn't do something illegal? Who will be on your side?

All of that stuff affects the residents, at the least financially, at the most in quality of life, even if they aren't directly involved in the crime.

Amen! You took the words right out of my mouth!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,381,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
Thanks. Ill be honest, I just skimmed it. But it seems like most of these people pretty much keep to themselves. I dont see any serial killers or anything. Not saying that makes it okay and I definitely wont go there, but I am still wondering what makes it 'scary'. Here, scary is the feeling that you get when a van pulls up to park on the street where you are walking and you fear you might just be pulled into it. Are you considered tresspassing if you dont live there and will get beat up kind of scary?
More like disappear never to be seen again kind of scary.

*cues banjo music*

Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM

306 posts, read 603,798 times
The FBI have had to go in and clear house on occassions concerning law enforcement. Governors Drug Task Force goes in a few times a year for marijuana and moonshine raids. Prescription pain killers are rampant, the causative factors of crime in the area of Newport, often times endangering innocent folks.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,250,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
We traveled through Cocke county and in and around Newport, mostly in the time we were looking into settling in Tennessee. There are many travelers looking for scenery, or a back road to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and the whole Smoky Mountain area that go through there every year. Of those travelers no one was abducted, shot at or otherwise disappeared that I've heard of. That said we did not like the "vibe" in and around Newport and decided it was not the place for us to call home very quickly, without even knowing about all the crime. No one threatened us with beatings or even a sour look, so no it is not that scary! The Knox news article ends over 5 years ago and their have been more recent busts but also rays of hope with the latest sheriff. The problem with the area is that the so many people live at or below the poverty line with no hope of improving themselves. Like inner city crime this kind of hopeless poverty abetted by poor education lends itself to crime revolving around theft and illegal substances. There are pockets of this kind of poverty and crime all over the US not just Tennessee. There are many parts of TN that are beautiful and the people generally friendly and helpful, not dangerous. We wouldn't have moved here if it had been unsafe.... or lawless and dangerous!

As to the post about racism keeping the gangs out, that is just plain silly. Obviously the incidences in Newport show we can have our own version of gangs but outside gangs require fairly large pool of poor people from one or another group (latino, black, asian) who can be recruited or intimidated into joining. These pools don't exist in the area simply because so few outside groups have been attracted to or concentrated anywhere in the region until fairly recently. The region is composed of mostly very small towns and small cities dotting rural areas where population growth has been slow and few outsiders have been interested in moving in.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
OH NO!!!! And I had my heart set on moving to Cocke Co. I'm wanting 5+ acres out in the country. Of all the places I researched this was the prettiest, centrally located to things my husband and I like and the most economical. Now I'm at a loss

Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snug359 View Post
OH NO!!!! And I had my heart set on moving to Cocke Co. I'm wanting 5+ acres out in the country. Of all the places I researched this was the prettiest, centrally located to things my husband and I like and the most economical. Now I'm at a loss
That really sucks I hope you find somewhere else that fits all your needs. I know how you feel. Pretty discouraging.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,795 times
Has there been anything new as to where & where not to live in far eastern TN? I wanted to come down to visit next month to get a feel for the area, but from what I've read, the Bloomin Barbecue & Bluegrass Festival may just be a big family reunion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee