Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM

603 posts, read 1,941,314 times

Advertisements

Hello,i am considering a move to tennessee from ny.I hear things such as "there are tons of hillbillies that hate northerners""you wont fit in""its not safe",etc.I just wanted some opinions from locals about someone like me coming down there.I want to leave ny for a few reasons.Number one being it is way too expensive and i dont want to spend my whole life struggling.You only live once so why be miserable?I also have a lot of animals so i want some acreage,something thats not possible here.I would also love some privacy.Not being able to see through my neighbors window is something i am looking forward to.I also cannot stand the people here.Theyre so close minded and plain rude.I just need to be able to find a job any advice you could give me,id appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,327,674 times
Hello,

What part of NY you moving from?Former Hudson Valley resident here.I moved here to Knoxville 4 years ago and I love it. I heard all those same blanket statement stereotype things before I moved here and I haven't found truth to any of it. The ironic part to the "hillbilly" comments is many of the native upstaters don't have a thing to talk about, look at them.
Moving to Tn. was a breath of fresh air for me. People in NY are close and narrow minded and pretentious. Here it is a true live and let live attitude and people are themselves and they are real.
Feel free to DM me if you have questions.
All the best to you,
Pam

Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
It is 2010...not the civil war era hahahhha. Pretty much the rule of thumb with just about anywhere in East TN is: If you are moving to TN because you like the way it is and appreciate the people for who they are and their culture, you will be fine and find yourself with a lot of new friends and neighbors.
It is those who come here only because the cost of living and then want it to be just like where they moved from that find themselves lonely and not happy here. So I think, from what you have posted so far, that you will fit in just fine and find yourself a new place to call home.
Why not tell us all here a little more of what you are looking for in a new hometown. Needs, wants and can't live withouts and so forth. That way we might be able to point you in the right direction of areas to look at.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Hey,thanks for responding.Im from suffolk county,long island.The worst place in the state.I hate it with a passion.I figured there were people out there that had experiences like you had.People here only think like"its ny and theres NO place better".In my opinion ANYWHERE is better lol.I might be taking a vacation in may to tennessee,its not a definate yet.Id love to come check it out.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 PM

lol i can assure you i will not try to change it to be anything like NY!I want a slower pace of life,where the little things are appreciated.Friendly people.To feel safe walking in town.I like to think im a very friendly person.People arent like that here though,unless of course they know you.Ive been to Maine and South carolina and had people waving at me and just stirring up a conversation.I was completely shocked lol.It was so nice though.I understand bigger metro areas have alot of traffic,but it takes 20 minutes to get somewhere that should take 5.There is so much congestion its unreal.Every year they build more condos and big chain stores.Theres a car dealership on every corner.I dont need a million stores within 5 minutes.Of course i wouldnt want to drive an hour to get milk.Basic stores would do fine.I enjoy the outdoors.It is going to be hard to give up 7-11 lol.But i will get over it.I want a homey feeling.Small town.I know so many people come on these forums and say that.Im young(23) so most people think im nuts for wanting to go somewhat rural.I do go out once in a while,so a restaurant or bar is nice.I dont want to be smack in the middle of nowhere,i just need privacy.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
You sound like good TN transplant material.

I'm from Mass. and I was looking for the same things, too and it worked out for me.

I would suggest looking for a job, first. What I did was look up the major newspapers by googling and then seeing what kind of jobs were available. What do you do now?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,478,931 times
Hmmm, I didn't know that there were so many people who still believe the "Deliverance" image of the South. Even in 1955, when my father graduated from high school in Nashville, Nashville was planning a 31-story skyscraper and expressways. Since then, the state has more than doubled in population (much of that from transplants from all over) and even the scads of small, thriving cities like Cookeville, Clarksville, Crossville, Cleveland, Jackson, Johnson City/Bristol, etc. have made incredible progress and become great places to raise families. Tennessee is too much of a crossroads to be hostile to visitors (we don't call them outsiders). Literally, millions of people have discovered our beautiful state and voted with their feet. Please come and see what we have to offer. Or, as you've probably already discovered, "We ain't New York."

Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 PM

I work for a town run animal shelter here.Ive already been searching for jobs,to see what the requirements are and to get an idea of the salaries they pay.Ive sent resumes out and politely asked the employers to keep it on file.I just wanna know if i'd qualify,really.I honestly do not want to switch to a different field.This is my passion.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,478,931 times
Check with the McKamey Animal Shelter in Chattanooga. They have a nice, new facility in Hixson.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
I am a Jersey girl, temporarily living in NYC's forgotten borough, who can't wait to retire in 18 months (and counting down) to our house we bought 3 months ago in TN.

You'll love it.

Privacy is what we wanted, and we found it - 4 acres with 3 neighbors, closest one is 1/2 mile down the road, woods between us.

Don't believe these TN folks when they talk about bad traffic - lol. I was in their "rush hour" in Nashville and laughed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee