Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 49,074 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both retired and trying to figure out where we want to spend our golden years. I would like to be reasonably close (~1-2 hours) to Memphis as I have lots of family (and an elderly mother) there. My husband hates Memphis (sorry Memphians!) and doesn't want that to be where we go for shopping and medical care. And, we both prefer small town living. So I'm thinking the Jackson area might be worth investigating. Any ideas on nice small towns fairly close to Jackson? We have small airplanes so we would love to be close to a nice small airport also. We'd appreciate any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM

263 posts, read 613,931 times
Hmmm. So you're looking for a nice, small town close to Jackson (so that Jackson can be the 'go-to city' for shopping, medical care, etc.) and only 1-2 hours from Memphis.

I have a few places in mind.

Milan -- a lovely little town 20 minutes north of Jackson in Gibson County

Henderson -- a lovely little town (smaller than Milan) 15 minutes south of Jackson in Chester County

Selmer -- another lovely little town (smaller than the other two) 45 minutes south of Jackson in McNairy County

Martin -- a smallish (10,000 pop.) college town in northwest TN one hour north of Jackson

A couple of my favorite small towns in West TN are actually a bit northeast of Jackson. One is Huntingdon, which is in Carroll County. The other--which is my hands-down favorite small town in West TN--is Paris, which is located in Henry County. Paris is located just west of Kentucky Lake / TN River and has a small airport on the outskirts of town. It is, unfortunately, more like 2.5 hours from Memphis, instead of the 1-2 hours you prefer.

I'd suggest you look up all of these places on Google and Wikipedia and see if anything jumps out and grabs you. While I grew up in West TN and can appreciate the heat and the slow pace of life, it's not for everyone. Research first, focus on a few places, and then come and visit. If you have any specific questions about any of these places, I can try to answer. I've noticed a couple of West TN folks on the board, so you may get additional info from them as well.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
id definatly give henderson a look, and mabe pinson. im down just a little further than henderson in Finger but this little town is probably a little too small for most LOL.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Two counties in West Tennessee have communities that qualified for the state's Retire Tennessee program.

Retire Tennessee - Our Communities

Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
down in savannah and into Pickwick certianly is beautiful! but the op would be over an hour to jackson down there.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 PM

263 posts, read 613,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Two counties in West Tennessee have communities that qualified for the state's Retire Tennessee program.

Retire Tennessee - Our Communities
Depending on where the OP is coming from, Hardin County in particular could pose more of a culture shock than most anywhere else in West TN. I spent most of my life in West TN, and the 'culture' there is like nothing else I've seen. (No offense, Hardin County folks.)

Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
We bought our retirement house outside of Selmer, not too far from Foxy. Moving is less than 3 months away.

It really depends on whether you are looking for more land-no neighbors or you want a bit less farm and more people around you. When we were looking, we shied away from Milan and the towns just north of Jackson because they had more neighborhoods and fewer huge farms. We weren't buying a farm, just wanted to be somewhat isolated, so McNairy county suited us better.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 PM

9 posts, read 49,074 times
Thank you all. I think Henderson might be at the top of the list after reading your replies and looking online a bit. We'd prefer country to subdivision--we're used to not seeing neighbors unless we want to But we may look north of Jackson also.

Anyone have a real estate agent in that area you would recommend?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhclemns View Post
Thank you all. I think Henderson might be at the top of the list after reading your replies and looking online a bit. We'd prefer country to subdivision--we're used to not seeing neighbors unless we want to But we may look north of Jackson also.

Anyone have a real estate agent in that area you would recommend?
You may want to Google the town of Bolivar. It is in Hardeman County 30 minutes south of Jackson. You may be suprised at the airport and all the services it offers. Hardeman County is ideal for retirees. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,688 times
I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm looking for a small place mid way to my 2 kids who are both out of state. I was widowed 3 weeks ago and have no need to stay so far in the south away from family who are all 4-5 hrs north of west TN. I have 4 dogs and need a fenced yard. I'd love to be off the beaten path but only 20 min or so from "town". I'm not into fancy things, more of a home body. I'm a GOP and active in the state politics where I currently live, (I do not want to be any where near Obama supporters), I drive an S-10 truck, love to fish and be outdoors, and to say a Miller Lite or bottle of Jose Cuervo never entered my home is a big lie. LOL. I'd also like to learn to shoot, something hubby was scared to teach me. I've looked into Realtor.com for homes in the Nashville burbs ( way out), Clarksville, Paris, Adams, Pleasant View, and Murray, and out of Paducah but am just starting my research. Any help would be great. I'm very familiar with the lay of the land from Corinth to Dyersburg since that is the way we'd go back home to MO. for the last 19 years but other than just driving it, I know nothing about the towns themselves. Thanks for any help. Oh and I need CHEAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee