U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM

40 posts, read 164,452 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to sleep in your car in this state? I have been trying to find a job for over 3 months with no responses back. I hold a Master's degree in Education with over 3 years of experience and have not received a single teaching interview. I have applied for over 300 jobs. I have even applied for jobs outside of my field including retail, warehouse, business, etc. I have tried to network, but that did not work either. I was temporarily staying at a friend's house while trying to find a job but he is kicking me out, so I have no other options. I have used my summer teaching money. I have no family so that is also not an option.

Is a rest stop my best option? Do you think that will be safe? Any other ideas on where to stay in the car where I won't be getting any tickets?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 03:44 AM

20,947 posts, read 15,267,317 times
If serious, I would try a dead end rural road before a rest stop - less chance of something going wrong. If you cant find a teaching job in TN, which is one of the only fields hiring in the state, living in your car is the least of your concerns. You need to move.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 5,714,302 times
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. FWIW, it's not illegal per se to sleep in your car in TN, but most places (both public & private) don't allow it. I do know that you're not allowed to stay overnight in TDOT rest areas.

You can, however, camp for free (primitive style) in our national forests for up to 2 weeks in one spot. There are also some free or very low-cost campgrounds in the state:
Tennessee | Free Campgrounds
Free Campsites
Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

Pilot Travel Centers & some Walmart stores provide free RV parking spaces. You wouldn't be able to stay in such a place long-term, of course, but they may be viable one-night options for you; I'd be sure to check w/ a store manager first. For free short-term lodging in people's homes, try couchsurfing.org.

Best wishes to you on your job search and I hope you're able to share some good news with us soon!

12+ Tips on How to Make the Best of Living in Your Car - wikiHow

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,300 times
What a crappy situation . Good luck to you.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:59 PM

231 posts, read 467,953 times
Default is it legal to sleep in your car in Tennessee

I don't know whether it's legal or not, but it's definitely not safe and particularly not at rest stops. I'm sorry that you're in such an adverse situation. Hang in there and never, ever give up.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Your situation is a reason why people advise that you find a job BEFORE moving to TN.
You might also check with local churches and rescue missions. I have recently let people camp at my house temporarily until they could get in a shelter or make other arrangements because they moved without having a job.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM

33,945 posts, read 32,373,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoID81 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to sleep in your car in this state? I have been trying to find a job for over 3 months with no responses back. I hold a Master's degree in Education with over 3 years of experience and have not received a single teaching interview. I have applied for over 300 jobs. I have even applied for jobs outside of my field including retail, warehouse, business, etc. I have tried to network, but that did not work either. I was temporarily staying at a friend's house while trying to find a job but he is kicking me out, so I have no other options. I have used my summer teaching money. I have no family so that is also not an option.

Is a rest stop my best option? Do you think that will be safe? Any other ideas on where to stay in the car where I won't be getting any tickets?
How do they reach you if you don't have a mailing address?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 17,906 times
You know I've been looking for a job for 9 month now and I can not find one. Wal-mart will let you stay a night and some church parking lots will let you stay, just keep moving around. I go to truck stops. i found myself going from TN to KY and it was only a mile out of Tn, but it was nice of them to let me and my kids stay there for a night. Shelters in Tn can help you. They can't help me because I kids are older and my son has anxeity attachs to be by himself so i have to go with him and my daughter is blind in one eye and going blind in the other. So GBU and if you need help. go to Goodwill. They will help you find a teaching job. They keep trying to help me, but I had no luck. But because you are a teacher, they can find you a job anywheres.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,639,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoID81 View Post
Hi,

The Salvation Army offers various types of assistance to people in need. And similar organizations are located in many towns and cities.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 PM

124 posts, read 125,944 times
One problem might be local ordinances - some towns may look upon it as loitering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or