Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 07:08 PM

17 posts, read 60,926 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move somewhere near Crossville-Watts Bar-west of Oak Ridge. We're looking to live somewhere fairly rural and were wondering about the wildlife. Do you have much problem with black bears getting into things? How about coyotes or panthers or other predadors? Just wondering how much protection for the chickens, rabbits, etc. will be needed.... Also, how difficult is it to raise a vegetable garden, fruit trees, berries etc.? Are the local critters so thick they try to eat everything or are they a problem. We've seen major difficulties here in central Texas with deer eating everything that's green, including all the "deer repellent" varieties. Trying to figure out how difficult living out in the woods is going to be.
Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 07:55 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Thumbs up Sequatchie valley

TX: Are you also watching Monday night football ?? Lots of football fever here. That whole Sequatchie valley is famous for farm land and soil, Just inside the CST time zone . We watched young deer and doe this summer, but other residential gardners have them eating Hydrangea flower bushes. This season was semi-severe for drought, about 8 " under, so much of veg , pumpkin stuff small. Believe I read a news article this summer about a young child and bear and tent, but you can research to be sure. Common to have 5 acres or more all up and down rt #127 to Dunlap, the famous longest garage sale road. Our church friends walk 3 big dogs and also mention snakes on their 5 acre tract. Web search "Walden Ridge" and "Cumberland Trail" for more photos, history, etc of area. State 305 mile linear hiking park almost connected along that ridge. Smaller river popular for canoe cruising or drifting, hang gliding weekend activities. Lots of farms or larger land tracts being subdivided into 5 acre or larger sizes. Some people even own their own waterfalls?

Old 10-24-2006, 02:21 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
TX: Are you also watching Monday night football ?? Lots of football fever here. That whole Sequatchie valley is famous for farm land and soil, Just inside the CST time zone . We watched young deer and doe this summer, but other residential gardners have them eating Hydrangea flower bushes. This season was semi-severe for drought, about 8 " under, so much of veg , pumpkin stuff small. Believe I read a news article this summer about a young child and bear and tent, but you can research to be sure.
What about those nasty fire ants that do everything but steal your babies and take them underground...but seriously, are those fire ants more prevalent in rural areas?

I was reading on the USDA website (article is called Putting Out The Fire) they are even known to kill cattle and damage electrical equipment (not kidding). Anyway, people moving to the southeast part of the US from someplace else should know about them and, because I had never heard of them until I started posting here, might not even think to ask about them.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,769 times
We became painfully familiar with fire ants during the time we lived in Georgia.

I haven't seen any sign of them in our area. The mounds can be pretty easy to spot. I was on the lookout for them in any areas the dogs would be hanging out and saw nothing all summer, much to my relief. They can be very difficult to get rid of.

As far as the other wildlife mentioned, there are deer all over. Also lots of woodchucks. My neighbors and I experienced about two months of a good sized coyote pack visit, but they're gone. I've seen no bears, nor have any been in the news in this area, only out toward the National Park, and I have lots of bird feeders out. (I found in PA this drew them in closer to the house.)

I guess it depends on how far out in the woods you are. We're pretty much surrounded by woods and have what you'd expect from that in the way of deer, chucks, foxes, etc.

I'd check with a local nursery as to what might tear up your garden and how to repel them.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 AM

519 posts, read 78,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2TN View Post
We're looking to move somewhere near Crossville-Watts Bar-west of Oak Ridge. We're looking to live somewhere fairly rural and were wondering about the wildlife. Do you have much problem with black bears getting into things? How about coyotes or panthers or other predadors? Just wondering how much protection for the chickens, rabbits, etc. will be needed.... Also, how difficult is it to raise a vegetable garden, fruit trees, berries etc.? Are the local critters so thick they try to eat everything or are they a problem. We've seen major difficulties here in central Texas with deer eating everything that's green, including all the "deer repellent" varieties. Trying to figure out how difficult living out in the woods is going to be.
Chuck
Moving west of Oak Ridge...even further away from the Smokies (where the bears are). In all my years in Tennessee (a half-century), I have seen only 4 black bears which were not in the Appalachians...3 were all North of Knoxville, and 1 was on the Seymour side of Knoxville (east of Crossville, east of Knoxville).

Panthers usually get eaten by the elephants.

Coyotes are cleverly disguised as gray foxes.

The Predators are Nashville's Hockey Team.

The best time to raise a garden is during deer season.

The closest black bears are vacationing at the Knoxville Zoo.

The worst "predator" in Tennessee is the Striped Skunk...they love gardens, and are very persuasive in establishing their territory.

The tallest "predator" in Tennessee, and not just around Crossville/Watts Bar ls Sasquatch.

Beware the shotgun-toting predators...they like gardens too, and are more persuasive about their territory than the skunks.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 PM

231 posts, read 595,549 times
Default Lions & Tigers & Bears, oh my

Doubt you would have much problem with Bears, but Coyotes, Racoons, Foxes, Bobcats etc. are everywhere in rural areas. For Chickens/Rabbits you will need a good, close wired fence.
Four feet underground with eight feet above ground and a top might do it.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Only thing on the Plateau and rural Tennessee is rattle snakes & copper heads just watch were you step when in the woods and rocky areas.

Killer cows blank stare and licking the air with the tongue.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:35 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Why worry about bears when there is a lion and tiger sanctuary in western Roane county?

Neighbors growling over large population at Tiger Haven in Kingston » Knoxville News Sentinel

You can hear them growling in the distance from my dad's place. I think it's pretty cool but undertand why next door neighbors would find it annoying.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2TN View Post
Chuck
Im in the Crossville area. We have been seeing some black bear activity in the past few years due to the programs in big south fork. Its has not been a problem, just sitings. Seldom see a panther and those sitings are vauge and questionable. Coyotes are everywhere. Deer can be a problem depending on your particular area. I raise chickens, ducks, turkeys, guineas, goats and pigs and also raise a veggie garden. The best defense I have is dogs. The critters are out there but wont come in close enough to be a problem because my dogs keep them at bay. The only thing I have had to get my birds was a hawk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee