Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
Finally got through to them today. I spoke to a friendly forrestor(Marion County) by the name of Gary Roarke. He is sending me a handbook of the trees and landscape and said he will meet me the next time I come to the area and survey the lot with me.

Since we want to keep the beauty of the area and as many trees as possible, this is a good investment in my time. If anyone else from the Marion County area is interested, send me a direct message and I will hook you up with his email and phone number.
Excellent to hear Grizz and I am sure you will enjoy the day talking with these folks. The fella who came out to do a survey of my place brought along an assistant who was finishing up his grad work at UT and was able to identify a very unusual species of wild magnolia that we found. (it was out of place as it looked tropical, almost like a Chermoya) They also brought out some nice topo/ariel shots of my land and the surrounding area that have proven quite useful.

It ended up being quite memorable as one of my hound pups snuck up while they were chatting and stole a GPS plotter they were using to take measurements. They searched everywhere and ended up on all fours under my porch looking for this thing. I did eventually find it a month later in perfect condition save one tooth mark. They were quite pleased to get it back. The pups are now referred to as Al Puppaeda, the fuzzy terrorist by the conservation dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 03:34 PM

296 posts, read 1,182,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
If you have any honeylocust, get rid of it FAST!! Also known as crown of thorns, they have oodles of 2-3" spikes that will go right through the sole of a shoe (first hand experience). They are invasive and spread fast (birds eat the seed pods then poop). I no longer live in TN, but those trees were my nemesis when I was there!!!

You can get seedless/podless honeylocust that are actually very nice ornamental trees that grow fast.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 PM

28 posts, read 90,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
4 acres. Why?

Sorry, should have explained why I was asking.
Was curious because we bought 5 acres in Roane County ( 1 1/2 acres of that wooded) I don't want/need to get rid of any trees...seeing that the other 3 + acres is cleared. But I eventually would like to plant native grasses on the cleared part...also would like to find out the types of trees in our woods. Though Alleycat has helped ID some for me from pic's
I initially was thinking 5 acres might not be enough land for the extention office / forester to spend time on..hence my question to you about how much land you had. But seeing that your getting help...maybe I'll call.

Someday I want to have a horse or two...or a cow...at the same time want to keep the land as natural as possible. We dont live in Tn yet...I wonder if they'd visit the property without us being there? Are they charging you for the service?
Thanks

Old 11-27-2007, 05:48 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraplus View Post

Sorry, should have explained why I was asking.
Was curious because we bought 5 acres in Roane County ( 1 1/2 acres of that wooded) I don't want/need to get rid of any trees...seeing that the other 3 + acres is cleared. But I eventually would like to plant native grasses on the cleared part...also would like to find out the types of trees in our woods. Though Alleycat has helped ID some for me from pic's
I initially was thinking 5 acres might not be enough land for the extention office / forester to spend time on..hence my question to you about how much land you had. But seeing that your getting help...maybe I'll call.

Someday I want to have a horse or two...or a cow...at the same time want to keep the land as natural as possible. We dont live in Tn yet...I wonder if they'd visit the property without us being there? Are they charging you for the service?
Thanks
If I am not mistaken the conservation dept will come out regardless of the size of your plot of land and what it consist of. If you are wanting to plant added native species then by all means you should contact them and be sure to ask about some of the programs Tennessee has in place for encouraging native species in replanting efforts. I might be mistaken but I believe that there are even some state funded programs for planting native grasses and vegetation that is conducive to encouraging endangered species. I will try to find where I put it or you can check out the Tennessee dept of conservation website or call them as I think a link has already been posted in this thread.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 PM

849 posts, read 2,954,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If I am not mistaken the conservation dept will come out regardless of the size of your plot of land and what it consist of. If you are wanting to plant added native species then by all means you should contact them and be sure to ask about some of the programs Tennessee has in place for encouraging native species in replanting efforts. I might be mistaken but I believe that there are even some state funded programs for planting native grasses and vegetation that is conducive to encouraging endangered species. I will try to find where I put it or you can check out the Tennessee dept of conservation website or call them as I think a link has already been posted in this thread.

Hope that helps and best of luck.
Exactly! What TnHilltopper said.

They do sound very busy though. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee