Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 02:27 PM

17 posts, read 68,585 times

Advertisements

the state of TN bases property appraisals on fair market value. The reason property taxes are so high in TN is that we have no state income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 04:18 PM

114 posts, read 355,629 times
some places in TN property tax could be really high, think of Memphis, county plus city tax is 7.47$ per 100$ based upon 25% of assessed value. It is terrible even though housing cost is low here!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,959,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbench View Post
some places in TN property tax could be really high, think of Memphis, county plus city tax is 7.47$ per 100$ based upon 25% of assessed value. It is terrible even though housing cost is low here!
Well...it could be Texas.

$130,000 homes in the Houston area often come with $4,000+ in annual property taxes.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,500 times
Property taxes are high here? Try Madison, WI. Just moved from there and I was giddy when I found out what I would be paying here.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:50 PM

31 posts, read 97,651 times
Default high taxes???

That's why I'm thinking of retiring to Tn from Ct . Average Taxes are $4000-$8000 a year and some don't have trash pickup and a paid fire department. A friend of mine is moving to Tn, going from $7000 a year with no property to 30 acres and a house for $532. Now that's a savings.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:12 PM

2,116 posts, read 6,778,347 times
Sevier County has VERY LOW property taxes.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 PM

672 posts, read 805,681 times
I know this is a older thread but I found it quite useful. I have some more specific property tax questions that weren't answered. Some of the other threads touch briefly on some of my questions but not all.

My questions lean towards more AG exemption and what is included in TN.

Some states require minimum acreage for Ag exempt or reduction and some don't.
Some states include horses as Ag related activity while others require breeding. Some don't count horses at all.

Is agricultural land assessed at production value or land value? Is the home on AG property taxed at one rate with the surrounding acreages at another? If so, how much raw land would be considered with the house rate?

I'm interested in a farmhouse with a orchard, ponds, and small horse operation. I'm mainly interested in ten acres of the property with the house. Possibility or need be I would purchase additional connecting ten acres. The farmhouse is a intricate part of the small farm operation.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
I know this is a older thread but I found it quite useful. I have some more specific property tax questions that weren't answered. Some of the other threads touch briefly on some of my questions but not all.

My questions lean towards more AG exemption and what is included in TN.

Some states require minimum acreage for Ag exempt or reduction and some don't.
Some states include horses as Ag related activity while others require breeding. Some don't count horses at all.

Is agricultural land assessed at production value or land value? Is the home on AG property taxed at one rate with the surrounding acreages at another? If so, how much raw land would be considered with the house rate?

I'm interested in a farmhouse with a orchard, ponds, and small horse operation. I'm mainly interested in ten acres of the property with the house. Possibility or need be I would purchase additional connecting ten acres. The farmhouse is a intricate part of the small farm operation.

Thanks for any help.
We do not have state income tax and our property taxes vary from county to county. For most of the counties in east TN there is a reduction in taxes for agricultural property. Typically though, if there is a house that you live in and is on the same deed as acreage then it is treated as a domicile and there are no ag tax breaks.

Your best bet is to discuss this with the tax assessor in the county in which you intend to purchase property.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
Mod note: I have had to delete posts where folks are posting what their property value is and what their tax rate is for locations outside of TN. I am sorry but this thread is for TN property tax discussions only. Thanks for understanding and staying on topic.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 PM

851 posts, read 2,447,853 times
High??? I was so excited when I found out what our taxes were here in TN. I guess it really depends where you are coming from and where you are wanting to buy property...And it makes a difference if you have city & county or just county. We came from FL and the taxes are way more than what we have here in TN. I will take TN property taxes any day. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee