Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:00 AM

21 posts, read 35,009 times

Advertisements

Our family is looking into moving to Tennessee. My sister and her family would like to live near Chattanooga or Knoxville, for the job opportunities. My husband and I would like to live near good schools and medical care. However, we don't want to live in a city. We would like to have at least 2 acres, more if possible. We also need a large house because we have 7 kids. So, affordability is a big factor. Can we find all of that near Chattanooga or Knoxville? Or will we need to be more west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:39 PM

196 posts, read 732,165 times
Please define affordable. This will help get better advice. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Under $200,000

Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
You shouldn't have a problem finding what your looking for in either area. I think (?) probably more so around Chattanooga.

As far as schools go the following may help...Tennessee Schools - Tennessee State School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I'd recommend living in Knoxville. Great schools and medical care as well as job opportunities. Knoxville is a city but it is fairly small and has the vibe of a very large town. I've lived here seven years and just love it!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
With 7 kids, you need... 4 bedrooms? 5 bedrooms? How many bathrooms? That will definitely matter.

Knoxville has lower unemployment, but a lot of jobs are coming to Chattanooga right now. (Well, relatively, anyway.) Either area is going to be easy to live in a rural area and commute fairly quickly into the urban/metro area. You should probably look at real estate listings to see if you find what you need, where you need, at a price you can afford.

Schools and medical care in both communities are good.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM

We are looking for at least 4 good size bedrooms.

We are definitely looking for good schools. One of our sons has a mild learning disability. Of course, we want a good school for all of them Medical is also important. My husband has asthma that he was hospitalized for a few years ago. My daughter has also had seizures before. I'm also looking for a place that has good therapists/ psychologists. We adopted from foster care and the kids will continue to need therapy.

My husband works in shipping and receiving right now. Are there many manufacturing jobs around Knoxville and Chattanooga?

I've been looking at listings but it's so hard to know which town/ city is close enough to the big city. I want to be close enough to enjoy what the city has to offer, and close enough to hospitals, but we need some acreage. (We have dogs and a pot belly pig coming with us ) I also have a son that would live outdoors if he could. He loves digging and building things. I think we're going to try to get down there and check out the area, but it won't be until March. So, in the meantime I continue to research.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Knoxville is a very large distribution center and has a very good unemployment rate, the best of all of the largest MSAs in the state.

You can easily get acreage in Knox County but still enjoy the good schools in our county. Be careful. Not all small towns have good schools due to less funding, for starters.

Amazon is opening a distribution center in Chattanooga or Cleveland but I wouldn't work for them for all the tea in China. They don't have a great track record as an employer. I've personally spoke to people that have worked there or had family members that work there. They hire folks starting out that are willing to work for low wages and deplorable conditions.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
I'm not sure where you're coming from (and how the air is there) but be sure to check the air quality and asthma/allergy rankings for your chosen areas of TN. The breathing can get quite difficult for us asthma sufferers. Take care.....

Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
As far as schools go, I would stick with the metropolitan county (ie Knox County for Knoxville, Hamilton County for Chattanooga) or the big city systems. There are some big exceptions, mostly surrounding affluent suburbs - like Maryville. Also, Cleveland or Athens schools may be ok - you can Google the "report card" for each system and also search this forum.

You would be surprised at how SMALL most cities in Tennessee feel. You can live in South Knox (in the city) and feel like you're a long way away from Knoxville. Even here in Memphis, you can live in very rural areas (especially to the north) and still be within 10-15 minutes of downtown. So don't feel like you have to go looking WAY out in the country - rural South can be very weird/different/misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee