U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 07:53 PM

56 posts, read 101,671 times

Advertisements

Okay, I may be jumping the gun because I can't move right now, but I am dreaming really hard, so someday it may come true...

My husband and I teach high school in California, and when we are financially able to, we plan to leave California in the dust. Would Knoxville be a better bet to find a teaching job than Cookeville? I looked at job postings online for different counties, but when I visited one website, (I forget which), it said no applications are accepted after a certain point which has past.

There was nothing for Cookeville, so I wondered if the locals of either city with high schoolers knew if the faculties in either town are nearing retirement age? Is there hope for employment in the future?
In California teachers are laid off every year, so newbie teachers are pretty much out of luck. Is it that bad where you are?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice; I love this forum so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 05:32 AM

1,811 posts, read 5,393,969 times
Just curious, what's the attraction to Cookeville? Knoxville of course has many more job prospects. I meet a lot of people in meetup groups and I have not heard the same thing happening here as happens in CA, but I don't know enough about the field. Hopefully someone else can help.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 AM

11,603 posts, read 31,766,251 times
The Knox County system is considerably larger than the Putnam County system, so yes there are more job openings in Knoxville than in Cookeville. The pay is slightly better in Knox County than in Putnam County, but barely; if I were teaching in the public schools, I'd make about $500 more per year in Knox County than I would in Putnam County (which, in my opinion, is not enough to make up for Knoxville's higher cost of living).

Knox County Schools almost always have job openings, much of that is because some of the inner-city schools have a difficult time retaining teachers. Cookeville is a small town and has no "inner city" to worry about.

There are other school districts in the Knoxville area you might want to consider: Blount County, Sevier County, Anderson County, Jefferson County, Loudon County, Maryville city, and Oak Ridge city.

As far as which community is better (Knoxville vs. Cookeville) that is totally a personal thing. The two are very different. Knoxville is much larger and is closer to the Smoky Mountains. Cookeville is a small college town that is closer to the Cumberland Plateau and Nashville (being close to the Nashville airport is a huge perk if you plan on flying back and forth to CA). You'd have to visit both to see which is best for you. But, really, finding a job should be your priority. I personally prefer Cookeville, but I live in Knoxville because I have a job here. (I've been trying to get a teaching job in Cookeville for years but nothing has worked out yet.)

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM

56 posts, read 101,671 times
NJDEvil,
I have not visited either place as of yet, but Cookeville's attraction for me is that it is less densely populated. I currently live in a crowded region; I am, quite frankly, looking for a slower pace of life. Additionally, I would like to experience a different kind of student. My students' live in an area where there is a lot of recreational drug use, tagger crews, and gang activity. I feel, and maybe it is naive, that I will be less likely to encounter this in a smaller community.

Cookeville has beautiful park areas nearby and many positive qualities, based on what I am learning from my research. It is not expensive either and since, if or when I move, I will have little money (we are upside on our mortgagae in California), price is a major factor.

I plan on vacationing in TN this summer, and we are spending a few days in each area. Of course, in the future if I can't find a job, it is a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee