Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm new here, but I decided that this would be the best place to find more personal answers.

Anyways, my group would include my husband and me, one 15 year old girl, 3 dogs, 1 cat and some amphibians/reptiles. The animals are all my daughters - she is crazy about wildlife and the outdoors. My husband has a job that he can do from nearly anywhere, as long as the town/city is not like 3 hours away from some form of a center of civilization, ha ha.

We once spent 2 months in Rock Island, TN to go see family, and we really loved it. My daughter spent all her time in the park just exploring and studying, while I enjoyed exploring it with her and the small town feel. I loved how there were dogs running around in the neighborhoods, horses were welcome and everyone was so welcoming and just the forest feel. It was so beautiful.

I grew up in (most of my life), and my family has lived in a small town/county (30,000 people for the whole county - it was a huge county) for 12 years that is filled with agriculture yet a really strong small town feel and close knit community. Tons to do in its own special way. We moved out of it though four years ago.

For me, I would like a place that is really friendly and also a Gardening club would be amazing, or just something for me to do. My husband travels often, so he is open to anything. However, there has to be no big flooding risk... He is paranoid about floods.

We are looking for a town that is really outdoors oriented, preferably a state park town that has tons of nature and hiking, that is not all old folks. I would like some place that is just busy with "country/small town life, where I look on the craigslist ads or newspapers and I can actually see hogs being sold or small animals auctions, if you know what I mean.

My daughter is home schooled, so we are not as worried about the schools in the area. But it would be nice if there are teens in the area, so she isn't totally alone, but if she has animals, she is open to anything.

I would REALLY love it if they had a very successful 4-H or FFA program in the county. Also, dog training somewhere in the area would be nice. We would like her to have the ability to internship with a veterinarian while she is there or something.

We will be posting on other areas of the site for information, but tennessee is our main state

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Why not Rock Island since you are so familiar with it and you and your family loved it so much? If your husband travels a lot then it is about an hour-and-a-half to Nashville to get to the airport but that is certainly doable.

Usually I am asking about employment needs and warning about schools in most rural areas but in your case you don't have to worry about either. Flooding shouldn't be an issue in a lot of places, too, so you really could move anywhere. Tennessee is a very large state and there are three very distinctive areas. The biggest difference seems to be from West Tennessee and East Tennessee regarding topography and weather.

By the way, I work with flood maps on a daily basis. There have been large floods in Nashville and Memphis. However, flooding can happen in a lot of areas. Very generally speaking, most times the higher your property is, the safer you are, obviously. The best thing to do is pinpoint an area you are interested in and then check the flood zone map. Your insurance company should be able to tell you if you are in a flood zone. Your mortgage company, if you will buy, will certainly do so. And if you are renting you should be getting tenants insurance.

Last edited by hiknapster; 10-28-2012 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Added flood information.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
I agree with hiknapster, why not stick close to Rock Island?

Since your husband travels a lot and (I assume) needs to be near an airport, being fairly close to the Nashville airport would be ideal since it is--by far--the cheapest airport in Tennessee, serving as a hub for Southwest Airlines.

I'd check out places along the I-40 corridor east of Nashville, say, Smith County, Putnam County, or northern White County. It's a gorgeous area with waterfalls and large lakes, and it's only an hour from the Nashville airport (or less) and 20-30 minutes from Rock Island. The largest town in that area, Cookeville, is a young city (college town) of 30,000. Home schooling is very popular in Tennessee, you shouldn't have any problems finding a home schooling organization. There are 4H and FFA organizations everywhere. The large agricultural pavilion in Cookeville routinely hosts livestock shows and various state 4H and FFA championships.

Some of Tennessee's most beautiful state parks are also in that area:

Burgess Falls
Cummins Falls
Edgar Evins
Standing Stone
Virgin Falls

And it's not too far from Tennessee's most popular state park (and for good reason): Fall Creek Falls.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
There are some good options in East TN as well. You might like Elizabethton which is very close to Johnson City.

If you need an airport for hubs, then I agree with JMT - Nashville is the only way to go. Otherwise, there are some great options in the state all over the place.

Last edited by JMT; 10-29-2012 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to posts which have been removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee