Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:23 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times

Advertisements

I am so seriously considering moving to Tenn. Yes, I am from FL, but only as of 3 years. I used to live in Philly, but I am not your normal Philly girl. I always longed to live in the mountains of PA...but without the very harsh weather of the state...so I am probably coming to you.

Next June, which we will be booking cars, hotels, yaddayadda within the next 3 months, we plan on touring your state. We plan on driving through various cities/towns.

I plan on living on a mountain/mountain view. Do not want to live in a big city, but close enough to drive to one in case I have to work in one. Somewhere with good schools for my children. I know I plan on driving through the areas of Greeneville & surrounding, Johnson City & surrounding, Knoxville (mountains there, right?) and surrounding....Chattoonoga & surrounding, Dunlap and surrounding....anything else I missed? Anything to avoid?

What activities can I schedule to do/see at any of these areas? What should I not miss? Any specific hotels to stay at, or not stay at??
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 02:45 PM

130 posts, read 475,106 times
Fall Creek Falls has cabins and a lodge that you can stay in. the park is a do not miss. lots of lazy days lying under waterfalls and picnics. fishing, golf, hiking, and horseback riding are available. might be a great place to stay for a few days. they also have a restaurant on the property. friday night is all yu can eat Fishfry!
Mary

Old 09-29-2006, 09:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
There are the "must do's" of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, after that, keep going on 441 through the Smokie Mountain National Park, over to Cherokee Indian reservation in NC. There is Rock City and Ruby Falls in Chattanooga, along with the Aquarium there too. There are several historic towns, such as Jonesborough, Rogersville and Greeneville. Checkout those city web sites as there are a lot of festivals through out the year, you might be here when one is going on. AS far as a beautiful, must see drive, besides 441, I spoke of above, my favorite drive is Hwy 26 from Johnson City to Asheville, it is BEAUTIFUL!!! I drove it this after noon and will all the fall colors starting to pop out, it is just awe inspiring.! There is MUCh, MUCH more to see and do in TN....I am just to tired to think of them all right now hahahahahha. If I think of more, I will post here again and I'm sure others here will add too.
Hope this helps!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:08 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
http://www.tnvacation.com/
This is the official TN tourism website. It has a lot of the must see things on it. You can even see if there will be local festivals going on when you plan to visit that may be of interest. Things are also broken down my the three main regions. If you see something on there and want more info, I'm sure one of us on here can fill you in on it.
Are you driving from FL or are you flying in and then driving through the state? How long will you be in TN? We may be able to help you plan the best routes to drive and places to stop along the way.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:05 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times
mbmouse,

How long a drive do you figure it is on 441 from Gatlinburg to Cherokee? I was thinking of heading out that way to the Cherokee Museum.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2006, 07:35 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I plan on doing whatever is cheapest, as it is me, my husband and 2 children. So whether it is 4 one-way airline tickets, and then the rental car to drive through and drive back to FL; or if it is cheaper to just rent the car for a longer time, then pay for airline tickets, we plan on driving. I am thinking the rental car for the whole trip will be cheaper, so it probably will be us driving. Planning a route from someone who would know the quickest ways and what makes sense, would be perfect!

Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
mbmouse,

How long a drive do you figure it is on 441 from Gatlinburg to Cherokee? I was thinking of heading out that way to the Cherokee Museum.

Thanks
It all depends on how many "scenic overlooks" you want to stop at and stare awhile. There are also a lot of trail heads close to the road which are nice to get out and walk several hundred feet into the woods. And it depends on what time of year as there are lots of people traveling that road it it is two lanes. But if you were to drive straight through, no stops, Gatlinburg entrance to the park, to exit of park in Cherokee about an hour to hour and half depending on traffic.
We are driving it tomorrow actually , I will post some pictures and time it for you. My boys grandmother lives in Bryson City NC and they are spending the weekend with her. We normally meet in Asheville, kind of a halfway point, but hubby and I want to go to dinner and walk around Cherokee a bit to spend some time together before he is off to Canada for a week.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:02 PM

That would be wonderful.

You're a sweetie!

Old 09-30-2006, 06:49 PM

19 posts, read 88,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
That would be wonderful.

You're a sweetie!
I have some Smokey Mountain pictures at "http://my.inbox.com/photos/nealpt/".

Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 AM

Nealpt,

Those are absolutely gorgeous pictures. Are they taken around Rt. 441?

Thanks so much for sharing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee