U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 9,228,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim37680 View Post
One needs to think "Johnson City" when considering Elizabethton. These days Elizabethton is more like a bedroom suburb of considerably larger Johnson City. They are only minutes apart and have virtually grown together out through the Milligan community.

Elizabethton would place you closer to fishing areas of the Watauga River below Watauga Dam and little Wilbur Dam. If your hubby really wants to be in a hunting and fishing environment (just out the back door) then I don't think you will be in any town- more like out in the sticks. I would suggest you look for a place in close walking proximity to the Cherokee National Forest and with good trout streams nearby. When you use the term "rivers" that may need a bit of further definition. We have a forty foot wide "creek" that borders our Johnson County farm but a work associate of mine that grew up in Montana told me that this "creek" would be considered a major river in Montana and much of the interior west. In northeast Tennessee you will only find two named rivers, the Watauga and the Holston, and much of those are impounded by TVA lakes.

Nowhere in northeast Tennessee is more than an hour from a mall and the big box stores- even deep in the sticks.

In Johnson, Carter, and Unicoi counties you will be more likely to find places for purchase or rent that border the national forest. Much of the private land no longer welcomes hunters except by invitation or hunting lease due to past abuses. If you can afford to buy your own hunting preserve- so much the better. This would be even better if the property has direct access to the national forest and fishing waters.
Hi,

I would recommend the Elizabethton or Johnson City area. Close to NC, VA, SC and virtually IN the Smokies. Slower pace, a bit colder and more snow, but less than you see now I suspect. Easy access to the coast and the N.E if you want to go back to see friends. I have family in East TN, near Knoxville and they love it. For retirement, if you are into rural nature, VS man made lakes, etc, Elizabethton and Johnson City are better. There is a little town just South of Johnson City, along the freeway I really like named Unicoi. Small town near Johnson City at need, but none of the traffic issues..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Did you find the locals to be accepting or are you a "Yankee" always?
I live in Knoxville so I haven't had any issues. There are a lot of transplants here - although not too many, yet - and the locals are very welcoming. But this is a small city. I can't comment on other areas.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM

192 posts, read 287,547 times
Thank you all for repsonding! I just figured Elizabethton would be good because renting an apartment is so cheap and it is so close to johnson city where my husband could probably get a job. we do want to be out in the sticks, but have to start out renting an apartment in a town near where we might want to settle down. I am noticing that nobody really has anything good to say about Elizabethton but isnt really saying what it is that is not good. I have just been looking at maps to see where mountains and rivers are, so I dont know where the good fishing or hunting is and dont know how to find out what land is acceptable to hunt on and what is not.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 PM

192 posts, read 287,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The question was asked regarding which is better. Check out Elizabethton. No great shakes there, either. I wouldn't intentionally tell someone to move to Lake City but if it came down to the two...

And the truth is that at least Lake City is near Knoxville.
Can I ask what is wrong with Elizabethton? what about Pine Crest or Biltmore? I am just very interested in being in that area. Is it white trash there? run down? or just too far from knoxville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee