U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 PM
 
192 posts, read 287,626 times
Reputation: 136

Advertisements

The two places I am considering moving. Hubby wants nearby rivers and good hunting mountains. Which area is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 AM
 
14,934 posts, read 26,640,695 times
Reputation: 18141
Lake City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
9,413 posts, read 5,209,705 times
Reputation: 14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Lake City
32% of the population is below the poverty line and the median household income was $19,000 in 2009. Is this not a concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Reputation: 13302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
32% of the population is below the poverty line and the median household income was $19,000 in 2009. Is this not a concern?
The question was asked regarding which is better. Check out Elizabethton. No great shakes there, either. I wouldn't intentionally tell someone to move to Lake City but if it came down to the two...

And the truth is that at least Lake City is near Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
9,413 posts, read 5,209,705 times
Reputation: 14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The question was asked regarding which is better. Check out Elizabethton. No great shakes there, either. I wouldn't intentionally tell someone to move to Lake City but if it came down to the two...

And the truth is that at least Lake City is near Knoxville.

I have never been to either but will be visitng Elzabethton and JC next week as possible retirement destinations. Just curious as to why you would not recomment Elizabethton. Didn't seem to have the poverty figures of Lake City and unemployment was right at the state level of 8.2%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Reputation: 13302
Elizabethton is in Carter County. Latest unemployment rate is 8.4. Lake City is in Anderson County. Latest unemployment rate is 8.6. More importantly, it is right next to Knox County which has an unemployment rate of 6.7. Maybe it is fine for a retiree but if I were working Lake City would be a better choice. More job opportunities and better pay. It's why I didn't move to northeast Tenn but picked Knoxville. But all things equal, I wouldn't move to Lake City, either. Neither one of those places are high on my "move to" lists. Since the OP hasn't returned, though, we don't know much about what they are looking for besides rivers and mountains. Being near Lake Norris, which has fabulous fishing, would be high on my list, too. I'd rather fish there than in Elizabethton.

http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/labor_fi...ates_Jul12.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
9,413 posts, read 5,209,705 times
Reputation: 14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Elizabethton is in Carter County. Latest unemployment rate is 8.4. Lake City is in Anderson County. Latest unemployment rate is 8.6. More importantly, it is right next to Knox County which has an unemployment rate of 6.7. Maybe it is fine for a retiree but if I were working Lake City would be a better choice. More job opportunities and better pay. It's why I didn't move to northeast Tenn but picked Knoxville. But all things equal, I wouldn't move to Lake City, either. Neither one of those places are high on my "move to" lists. Since the OP hasn't returned, though, we don't know much about what they are looking for besides rivers and mountains. Being near Lake Norris, which has fabulous fishing, would be high on my list, too. I'd rather fish there than in Elizabethton.

http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/labor_fi...ates_Jul12.pdf
Thanks for the info hiknapster. We will be retired and probably only looking for part time hrs to keep busy so employment isn't a real concern. Also being close to Knoxville isn't a priority either for this reason. JC and the surrounding cities look to be about the right size for what we are looking for, specifically restaurants, golf courses (for me anyway), basic shopping etc. We don't need Madison Avenue but don't want to be in a small town 100 miles from the nearest mall either.

The one thing I am blown away about is the median household income. I get it, houses and taxes are way less. But once you guy a house I'm struggling to understand how you can live on $35,000 which is less than half the median household income where we live. And this is country trust me. A Toyota is still going to be over $20,000 in TN, a washing machine can't possibly be half the price there as here. I gotta say I'm not sure about the dollar figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Reputation: 13302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks for the info hiknapster. We will be retired and probably only looking for part time hrs to keep busy so employment isn't a real concern. Also being close to Knoxville isn't a priority either for this reason. JC and the surrounding cities look to be about the right size for what we are looking for, specifically restaurants, golf courses (for me anyway), basic shopping etc. We don't need Madison Avenue but don't want to be in a small town 100 miles from the nearest mall either.

The one thing I am blown away about is the median household income. I get it, houses and taxes are way less. But once you guy a house I'm struggling to understand how you can live on $35,000 which is less than half the median household income where we live. And this is country trust me. A Toyota is still going to be over $20,000 in TN, a washing machine can't possibly be half the price there as here. I gotta say I'm not sure about the dollar figures.
Housing and taxes are an enormous part of one's budget. I see you are from Maryland, less than an hour from Baltimore. First of all, Maryland's tax burden is twelfth in the nation while Tennessee's is dead last. That's a huge savings! If you buy your home outright - and save a major chunk of change - you still have to deal with the taxes. Bear in mind that our sales tax is high but we don't deal with pesky "hidden" taxes like you do.

I'm from the northeast and lived in Florida for some time. Here in Tennessee I save on food, electricity and lots of other things. And by the way, a car is not the same price across the country and the taxes alone can lay you low. Different areas of the country get different rebates, pricing programs as well. I use to sell cars.

I can easily live on $35,000 here in Tennessee but there is no way that I could do it in Massachusetts and Florida would be a struggle, too. In fact, when I moved here I felt a significant savings right away from things like registering a car, getting a driver's license, etc.

You know, I'm from a small town in Mass. I've found that "small town" down here has a different vibe than "small town" up there. And I was far removed from a major city up there. I think you are going to have to visit to decide and even then it won't be the same as actually living in a place like Elizabethton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
9,413 posts, read 5,209,705 times
Reputation: 14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Housing and taxes are an enormous part of one's budget. I see you are from Maryland, less than an hour from Baltimore. First of all, Maryland's tax burden is twelfth in the nation while Tennessee's is dead last. That's a huge savings! If you buy your home outright - and save a major chunk of change - you still have to deal with the taxes. Bear in mind that our sales tax is high but we don't deal with pesky "hidden" taxes like you do.

I'm from the northeast and lived in Florida for some time. Here in Tennessee I save on food, electricity and lots of other things. And by the way, a car is not the same price across the country and the taxes alone can lay you low. Different areas of the country get different rebates, pricing programs as well. I use to sell cars.

I can easily live on $35,000 here in Tennessee but there is no way that I could do it in Massachusetts and Florida would be a struggle, too. In fact, when I moved here I felt a significant savings right away from things like registering a car, getting a driver's license, etc.

You know, I'm from a small town in Mass. I've found that "small town" down here has a different vibe than "small town" up there. And I was far removed from a major city up there. I think you are going to have to visit to decide and even then it won't be the same as actually living in a place like Elizabethton.
Thanks again for the reply, your posts is reassuring. Yeah trust me the housing prices are factoring in big time. As I told a friend we can sell our home here, buy a modest one down there for $125,000 and it's like Ed McMahon just handed us a big check and said "go south".


Did you find the locals to be accepting or are you a "Yankee" always?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Sullivan County, Tennessee
445 posts, read 1,010,325 times
Reputation: 448
One needs to think "Johnson City" when considering Elizabethton. These days Elizabethton is more like a bedroom suburb of considerably larger Johnson City. They are only minutes apart and have virtually grown together out through the Milligan community.

Elizabethton would place you closer to fishing areas of the Watauga River below Watauga Dam and little Wilbur Dam. If your hubby really wants to be in a hunting and fishing environment (just out the back door) then I don't think you will be in any town- more like out in the sticks. I would suggest you look for a place in close walking proximity to the Cherokee National Forest and with good trout streams nearby. When you use the term "rivers" that may need a bit of further definition. We have a forty foot wide "creek" that borders our Johnson County farm but a work associate of mine that grew up in Montana told me that this "creek" would be considered a major river in Montana and much of the interior west. In northeast Tennessee you will only find two named rivers, the Watauga and the Holston, and much of those are impounded by TVA lakes.

Nowhere in northeast Tennessee is more than an hour from a mall and the big box stores- even deep in the sticks.

In Johnson, Carter, and Unicoi counties you will be more likely to find places for purchase or rent that border the national forest. Much of the private land no longer welcomes hunters except by invitation or hunting lease due to past abuses. If you can afford to buy your own hunting preserve- so much the better. This would be even better if the property has direct access to the national forest and fishing waters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top