U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,102,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Taxes are extremely low - TN has no state income tax = This position paid only $24k and I never received an offer, even though I am more than qualified for the position. I have never had an offer above $26k anywhere in TN.
I make more money than that. I'm not a teacher but still...

And clearly teachers in Knox County make more money than that.

Pay for Knox County Schools personnel Information & News from Knoxville News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)

So you can highlight what they wrote but I live and work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,532,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I make more money than that. I'm not a teacher but still...

And clearly teachers in Knox County make more money than that.

Pay for Knox County Schools personnel Information & News from Knoxville News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)

So you can highlight what they wrote but I live and work here.

Just saying people love TNs low taxes but wonder why some salaries are so low compared to other places.

It just obvious to me that if you dont have a big tax revenue you wont have the money to spend on positions that are paid from those revenues.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Just saying people love TNs low taxes but wonder why some salaries are so low compared to other places.

It just obvious to me that if you dont have a big tax revenue you wont have the money to spend on positions that are paid from those revenues.
Agreed. But that's why I say that yes, Tennessee has the lowest tax burden in the country but if you move to some place like Knox you can get decent pay, low cost of living and still get very good schools, excellent parks and greenways as well as fabulous cops, fire departments, etc. Clearly, teachers in Knox County are getting more than $26,000 and they are not the only ones with decent salaries. In fact this website gives good info about teacher salaries. It states that the average starting salary is a little over $37,000 and the average teacher salary is $46,000. It ranks Tennessee as 25th in teacher salaries.

Teacher Salary | Teaching Salaries in TE : 42537

I'm from Mass and also lived in Florida and this is the best money I've ever made and the COL/salary ratio is stellar.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I I make $45k in Iowa, and even after factoring the tax differences, it makes no sense for me to live in TN because the salaries are pathetic. I have several years experience, a bachelor's, and work in IT.
Your current job and only experience has been in a call center. Nothing wrong with that. I did call center tech support for many years. But you don't have teaching experience. It shouldn't impede you from getting a teaching position one day but you don't have any experience yet and you don't have a teaching job in Iowa, either. I just thought I'd clarify that.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM

21,034 posts, read 15,325,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Your current job and only experience has been in a call center. Nothing wrong with that. I did call center tech support for many years. But you don't have teaching experience. It shouldn't impede you from getting a teaching position one day but you don't have any experience yet and you don't have a teaching job in Iowa, either. I just thought I'd clarify that.
I don't particularly like what I'm doing now, but I have no desire to be a teacher. A handful of the teachers I know have a passion for it and are excellent at it. Those are the teachers that have positive impacts on kids' lives. However, many of the teachers I know, especially younger ones, failed to find private sector work in their first choice fields due to the recession, went back to school, and became a teacher essentially to escape the dismal private sector labor market. This is especially true in east TN where health care and education represent a higher than average proportion of workers. Those fields are stable, employ large numbers of people, and have better wages than most private sector work in the area. Having the summers and numerous holidays off that private sector workers don't get is merely a perk.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't particularly like what I'm doing now, but I have no desire to be a teacher. A handful of the teachers I know have a passion for it and are excellent at it. Those are the teachers that have positive impacts on kids' lives. However, many of the teachers I know, especially younger ones, failed to find private sector work in their first choice fields due to the recession, went back to school, and became a teacher essentially to escape the dismal private sector labor market. This is especially true in east TN where health care and education represent a higher than average proportion of workers. Those fields are stable, employ large numbers of people, and have better wages than most private sector work in the area. Having the summers and numerous holidays off that private sector workers don't get is merely a perk.
My apologies. I thought you were applying for teaching jobs.

By the way, I don't work in the health or educational sector and get decent pay. There are some decent jobs in Knoxville. It's not all puppies and rainbows but we do have a lot of scientific jobs in the Oak Ridge-Knoxville corridor as well as other decent-sized companies. I work near Siemens and they employ a lot of people as well as the laboratory in Oak Ridge as examples. Oh, and where I work, four weeks vacation is given the first year. Not bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee