U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 PM

13 posts, read 14,626 times

Advertisements

Hello
I was wondering how the teaching jobs were here. I am graduating in May and am wondering if TN is hiring teachers or if they were hard to come by. I am looking at NC also and there seems to be a lot of teachers laid off there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 AM

14,938 posts, read 26,645,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley8491 View Post
Hello
I was wondering how the teaching jobs were here. I am graduating in May and am wondering if TN is hiring teachers or if they were hard to come by. I am looking at NC also and there seems to be a lot of teachers laid off there.
Each school district hires on their own so openings vary from district to district. The best thing would be to narrow your search down to areas in which you would like to live and then research districts in that locale. Here are two resources that may help you. Good luck!

https://www.k-12.state.tn.us/teachingjobs/index.aspx

TEA Teachers - Tennessee Education Association | Educating Our Children, Engaging Our Parents, Empowering Our Schools

Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Thank you.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 PM

20,997 posts, read 15,296,258 times
I graduated a few years ago and everyone I know who wanted to become a teacher was able to find a job. I also have a good friend who majored in physics, got his MEd, and had an offer in hand to teach chemistry at the high school level. The teaching market seems quite healthy, at least in the Tri-Cities.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. How do you all like living in TN?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:42 AM

20,997 posts, read 15,296,258 times
I mostly liked it. I no longer live there due to the bad economy, but if a quality job opened up for me, I'd come back. Taxes are extremely low - TN has no state income tax (I pay 8% in IA), car registration was $24 in TN (I pay $210 in IA, a coworker with a new car paid nearly $500 for tags), but TN has a high sales tax and taxes basic groceries at 5.5%, which hits low income people extremely hard. A dollar will go farther in TN than about anywhere else in the country.

The state goes from mountainous in the far east to flat in the Mississippi delta out west and there are few cultural similarities between far east and far west TN. I'm from the east side of TN and it is extremely abundant in beauty and things to do if you're into the outdoors. If you have allergies, it's not so good due to all the greenery and humidity.

What killed TN for me were the low wages paid for most professional positions outside of medical/education. City teachers make more than county teachers. Teachers aren't rich, but they are at virtually full employment at a living wage in east TN, better than most everyone else. This works in your favor. Not everyone is as well off as east TN teachers. For instance, I flew back for an interview in Kingsport, my home town, about two weeks ago. This position paid only $24k and I never received an offer, even though I am more than qualified for the position. I have never had an offer above $26k anywhere in TN. I make $45k in Iowa, and even after factoring the tax differences, it makes no sense for me to live in TN because the salaries are pathetic. I have several years experience, a bachelor's, and work in IT.

I have several friends who never intended to be teachers, but ended up going back to school and got their master's in education because they could not find a decent private sector job. All were STEM majors. If you choose TN, you will do fine as a teacher, but there is little for you to fall back on if things don't work, and if you are bringing someone with you, they will likely struggle to get better than minimum wage employment.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I mostly liked it. I no longer live there due to the bad economy, but if a quality job opened up for me, I'd come back. Taxes are extremely low - TN has no state income tax (I pay 8% in IA), car registration was $24 in TN (I pay $210 in IA, a coworker with a new car paid nearly $500 for tags), but TN has a high sales tax and taxes basic groceries at 5.5%, which hits low income people extremely hard. A dollar will go farther in TN than about anywhere else in the country.

The state goes from mountainous in the far east to flat in the Mississippi delta out west and there are few cultural similarities between far east and far west TN. I'm from the east side of TN and it is extremely abundant in beauty and things to do if you're into the outdoors. If you have allergies, it's not so good due to all the greenery and humidity.

What killed TN for me were the low wages paid for most professional positions outside of medical/education. City teachers make more than county teachers. Teachers aren't rich, but they are at virtually full employment at a living wage in east TN, better than most everyone else. This works in your favor. Not everyone is as well off as east TN teachers. For instance, I flew back for an interview in Kingsport, my home town, about two weeks ago. This position paid only $24k and I never received an offer, even though I am more than qualified for the position. I have never had an offer above $26k anywhere in TN. I make $45k in Iowa, and even after factoring the tax differences, it makes no sense for me to live in TN because the salaries are pathetic. I have several years experience, a bachelor's, and work in IT.

I have several friends who never intended to be teachers, but ended up going back to school and got their master's in education because they could not find a decent private sector job. All were STEM majors. If you choose TN, you will do fine as a teacher, but there is little for you to fall back on if things don't work, and if you are bringing someone with you, they will likely struggle to get better than minimum wage employment.
I disagree. There are good jobs in Knoxville and Oak Ridge. Of course we have the lowest unemployment rates of the largest MSAs. I work for a national company and my pay is very good. This is the first place that I've lived where I can support a child as a single mom and live comfortably. Lots of big companies here and there is always the laboratory in Oak Ridge as well. Not everyone has the same experience, apparently. Bear in mind that the pay isn't the same as in the big cities or a lot of other places but the COL is LOW. And you can get very decent pay.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM

20,017 posts, read 20,519,392 times
Taxes are extremely low - TN has no state income tax = This position paid only $24k and I never received an offer, even though I am more than qualified for the position. I have never had an offer above $26k anywhere in TN.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM

222 posts, read 541,026 times
Starting pay in Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools is $40,000 now. http://www.hr.mnps.org/Asset71330.aspx?method=1

Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM

39,075 posts, read 37,716,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueNashville View Post
Starting pay in Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools is $40,000 now. http://www.hr.mnps.org/Asset71330.aspx?method=1
Right, and if you have a master's degree and several years of experience you would be a couple thousand above that.

Is your master's in education??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee