U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 PM

21 posts, read 25,970 times

Advertisements

My husband has asthma and suffers from allergies. We would like to move to Tennessee. However, I've heard that the pollen is awful. Should we look for another state to move to or are there areas of Tennessee that would be okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 PM

231 posts, read 468,718 times
Default should we forget about tennessee

I don't know about the entire state, but the Tennessee Valley portions of both Tennessee and Alabama are tough on people with sinus/allergies etc.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
The South, in general, is bad for allergies. All of our flowers and flowering trees are just stunning but they could wreak havoc if you are so inclined. Some people get worse by moving here, some seem better, some no change. I know I am better. Florida was my hot spot. On the other hand, it was my first move to warm weather and year round flowers. Maybe I was immune by the time I got here.

I think the only way to know is to visit in the spring.

By the way, here's a list of cities that are bad for spring allergies. As you can see, Tennessee has it covered!

Spring Allergy Hotspots

Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,425 times
I live in middle TN and my allergies are not as bad as when I lived in the northeast. I think it would depend upon where you are moving to in TN and where you are coming from.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 AM

39,195 posts, read 37,806,900 times
The entire Nashville area is a basin, and allergens tend to settle here. Allergies are much worse here than other parts of the state.

In fact, I can notice a difference in my own ability to breathe clearly when I come home from Memphis. After experiencing a few days of relief in West TN, my nose begins to get stuffy when cross into the Nashville area.

People with asthma do live in Middle TN, of course, but medication and trips to the doctor will be a regular part of your life.

Nashville area allergies/air quality?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:44 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
By the way, Syracuse, New York is on that list along with a few other northeast places. Nashville was not listed but Memphis, Chattanooga and Knoxville. Not that this is a definitive list. We've put up other lists before and the southeast is heavily represented for pollen and similar allergens. Like I said, when you have a lot of flora and a longer growing season it could be a problem. But I use to have huge problems with Timothy grass when I lived in the northeast. If I drove by anyone mowing their lawn my face would blow up and I would getting a sneezing epidemic.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM

We take zyrtec on days that the pollen is high here in Northern Indiana. My husband has prescription steroids, an inhaler and a nebulizer, when needed. If that's all we have to do to live down there, I would be happy. I'm just worried that it would be worse and result in us having to move again. We don't want ER visits. We will, hopefully, be able to visit in the spring to "test" it out. My husband would really love to live there but I would like him to keep breathing. So, we'll see. We'll make sure we have his nebulizer with us, that's for sure. I'm paranoid ever since he had an asthma attack and I had to call 911. He almost didn't make it. In fact, they said that he shouldn't have. However, they've never been able to pinpoint exactly what caused him to have such a bad attack. It was in the winter. He had another one a couple months later while on vacation in Ohio that took us to the ER. Still, we don't know what caused it either.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,738,118 times
Moved to Nashville from No. California in May and I've been pretty much sick ever since with allergies and asthma that had been well under control. When Vanderbilt has it's own "ASAP" clinic (asthma allergies something else) that takes forever to get an appointment, that should tell you something.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mny View Post
My husband has asthma and suffers from allergies. We would like to move to Tennessee. However, I've heard that the pollen is awful. Should we look for another state to move to or are there areas of Tennessee that would be okay?

If you dont mind me asking why do want to move to TN? I think you really need to do more research. You have been given good advise about areas that would fulfil your family's needs according to the information you have given us (jobs, schools, health care), then you look at areas just the opposite.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If you dont mind me asking why do want to move to TN? I think you really need to do more research. You have been given good advise about areas that would fulfil your family's needs according to the information you have given us (jobs, schools, health care), then you look at areas just the opposite.
It's not just my husband, me and our kids moving. My parents are planning to move as well as my sister and her family. We are trying to find an area that will work for everyone. Sorry, if I seem all over the place. It's so complicated, I'm just trying to figure out what will work the best for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or