U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,289 times

Advertisements

I've been pondering the idea to move to Tennessee since 2008 and even before this growing up being that I went to Parsons, TN (Decatur County) every summer for family vacations and loved it, but never pulled the trigger due to school and family obligations. Now my fiance and I are really wanting something new in our lives. We got a taste of the southern living while living in southern Illinois (while working at the Tamms Correctional Center which is literally the bottom tip of IL and it seems more like KY and TN than IL). I have a good job with the state, but due to Illinois being corrupt and the past 3 years working for them always hearing how we have to pay more for health insurance and threatens of pay cuts is getting old and it seems like it actually may become a reality now. My question really is I dont even know where to start to look for a job there. I really dont know where I'd like to move to. Were both young myself 24 and my fiance is 23 (not that it probably matters). I live in a town of 3,000 people now and I'm pretty used to this and enjoy the little rural communities as opposed to huge cities. I have a little girl and another on the way so schools and safe neighborhoods would be a must. As far as work goes I'd consider corrections again if the pay was there but in TN it seems as if they pay corrections nothing. I'd have to jump into something that pays minimum $35,000 a year or greater. I do have a CDL, but have never utilized it since I have gotten it due to getting my job in corrections. I'd work factory/warehouse work again anything if the price is right. I'm probably rambling on, but I'm trying to get as much info. out for someone to help me out here. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM

188 posts, read 840,366 times
Best thing to do is look on TN.Gov employment web page...there are quite a few jobs in the Morristown Tn area...I guess depending on what you are looking for... there is a big trucking firm in Morristown right off of Interstate 81..sorry can't think of the name right at this time... good luck!!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM

188 posts, read 840,366 times
Found out the name of the trucking company..Old Dominion

Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,327,161 times
I have lived all over the country.

Rule number 1. Never move without a job, ever.

Rule number 2. Where you can find a job dictates where you can live.

I moved away from my home state in 2005 to Michigan, and Florida in 2009, and now luckily this year back to Tennessee. But I had a job lined up first, and the opportunity was there for a city I knew well in middle Tennessee which I find the area that I like the most available.

But don't move hoping to find a job, even if you dislike Illinois. Find a job first, then decide where you'll live based around that job. For instance, if you find a job in Nashville, you don't have to live in Nashville. I live 39 miles north of Nashville, not a bad commute. If you get a job in Memphis, there are areas around town to live without living in Memphis, same for Knoxville.

So again, job first, then think about city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee