U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM

406 posts, read 663,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
Tennessee is a wonderful state to come to. You can find everything here. If you feel comfortable with southern
culture of the kind that has it's roots in black life, you have Memphis.
If you are kind of in the middle, so is Nashville.
Out east, you have a much whiter demographic, but you get a little hill culture that trips some folks out. Folks are
not as open, but they are fine folks. As a food place, ehhh, you oughta stay out west. This is not a food culture
place like New Orleans or NY or Chicago or KC, places like that. There are fires to be fought, and there are kids to
be taught, same as where you are from. Kids today are messed up though, they are not in the mood to be in school.
Especially in the Western end. I am not sure there is a state that offers more recreation outside of maybe NC. There
is a lot to do for the sportsmen and outdoors enthusiast. You'd likely know better about writing jobs. Didn't know you
could get paid for that. What the hell am I doing this job for? Same as most places I guess. Things are tough all over.

I grew up in New Orleans, spent a ton of time in MS, AL, TN and NC. I am in Memphis now and trying to get out to go
out to the East end. Why would I give up life in NO where I am familiar with it and have good connections? Because
TN is a dream location in a lot of ways. If you are into music, every third of the state has it's own huge traditions.
NO state taxes. Reasonable property values....what's not to like?
I wouldn't even call it "Southern black culture" so much as Mississippi Delta culture; if you move to Memphis, you halfway might as well just move to Mississippi. Look around the Tennessee board and notice how most of the folks who aren't from Memphis/West TN aren't recommending it (or even mentioning it) for someone who wants to know what Tennessee is like and possibly more there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM

165 posts, read 362,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvilld firefighter View Post
I am a firefighter/EMT in Nashville. My wife teaches in 2 private schools both schools together pay approx. 30000 .I make approx 55000 have not had even a cost of living increase in 6 years. Fire dept. Jobs are very political and are difficult to get but you stated in your post he is in law enforcement. They are easy jobs to get public schools pay approx 40000 a year.
TN is a right-to-work state, I believe has no state income tax, a low cost of living, a great climate, nice people, and plenty of manufacturers from states like CA and IL as well as overseas are opening up plants there.

What's not to like?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM

39,177 posts, read 37,787,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
I wouldn't even call it "Southern black culture" so much as Mississippi Delta culture; if you move to Memphis, you halfway might as well just move to Mississippi. Look around the Tennessee board and notice how most of the folks who aren't from Memphis/West TN aren't recommending it (or even mentioning it) for someone who wants to know what Tennessee is like and possibly more there.
I'm willing to most have never been to Memphis.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,779,071 times
Long story short, Memphis is Deep South. Rest of the state is Upper South/Appalachia. As different as Los Angeles and San Francisco. No judgement. Just different. And the guy who said there are no state taxes must've never been to a store ever. We more than make up for our lack of income tax with a very high sales tax. No exemptions for food or clothes as in some states. Tax man's gonna get his one way or another. Same as anywhere.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 AM

22,538 posts, read 46,107,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Long story short, Memphis is Deep South. Rest of the state is Upper South/Appalachia. As different as Los Angeles and San Francisco. No judgement. Just different. And the guy who said there are no state taxes must've never been to a store ever. We more than make up for our lack of income tax with a very high sales tax. No exemptions for food or clothes as in some states. Tax man's gonna get his one way or another. Same as anywhere.
Not entirely true, regarding taxes. Even with the high sales tax we are dead last in tax burden compared to the other states.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM

21,036 posts, read 15,336,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I would add the Tri-Cities (Kingsport-Bristol-Johnson City) region to your list, as well. MY dad is a retired Firefighter for Kingsport (pretty good salary, excellent retirement). I'm a school teacher for a county school (decent salary), and the job market is 'fair to good'. City school salaries are some of the best in the state. Counties not so much.

All else in the above post can apply to this region as well.
I didn't add the Tri-Cuties because the metro is too small and spread out, and the economy is too heavily weighted toward health care and education.

King College's business school had a study out not long ago showing where employment in health care had increased almost 50% in the Tri Cities 2000-2010, while all other fields had employment drop. This is not a healthy economy, nor a place I'd want recommend anyone to move to unless they are in the "hot" fields. ETSU, King, Milligan, etc, are turning out teachers left and right and all of the ones I know who graduated recently have teaching work and make more than most in the private sector, not to mention the benefits.

No offense to you, but the "good" job market is because you are in a Booming field. It would be like asking an ND oil worker if the job market is good. Most of the people (mid 20s) I grew up with who were professionally minded and not in medical/education left the area. For the OP, the TRI may be fine, but it is a crippling place for many people.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,248,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post

The three parts are very different in many ways (and the cities of Memphis. Nashville and Knoxville or Chattanooga reflect them) but there is an underlying friendliness and other cultural similarities that I think go state wide. There are good qualities in each part and something to please everyone who comes with an open mind and willingness to learn local customs.

The tax argument has gone round and round on these threads. Yes, the sales tax seems a bit high, especially where a handful of municipalities add on enough to make it top out at 9.75%. If you take a more careful look at other states which have an income tax and a slightly lower sales tax it isn't hard to see that we pay a lot less taxes overall unless one is a prodigious shopper. The following will show what I mean: :Rates | Sales Tax Institute Every state needs some income in order to provide the services we as a society need so no state is ever going to be free, not will any form of tax ever be completely equitable to all its citizens but TN does pretty well overall.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,779,071 times
The thing about taxes it depends on the individual. If you are a low income earner, you probably wouldn't pay much in income tax in another state, but you'll spend most of your income of buying things to live and will be taxed constantly for those purchases here. Conversely, if you're making big bucks and can save/invest a lot of your money, Tennessee's tax structure is very much suited to your advantage. But yeah, TN does its best to keep taxes and services as minimal as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee