U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM

155 posts, read 329,285 times

Advertisements

I've always loved Tennessee. I've been a few times during summer months and being from Texas, I find it has the right amount of southern culture that I genuinely enjoy.

That being said, my husband and I live in a tiny East Texas town. The area is beautiful, and we live on a secluded plot of land 20 miles from town. I like all of this, but it has a downside, there are no jobs and ours is one of the most poverty sticken areas of Texas. Ignorance and uneducation abound.

I am a school teacher here, and my husband works in law enforcement.

Here are our plans: Hubs is finishing up his firefighters certification program in December, then he has EMT training in the fall, he has a BS in Gen Ed. He wants to work for a fire department elsewhere.

We're pretty open, but we are looking in a few key areas. The first being Austin (area), then Colorado Springs (area--I have family out west), and now we're adding Tennissee to the list. Both of us love visiting, and coming from the coastal plains of Texas, humidity doesn't bug us much.

Now you know our story, here are a few questions...

Feel free to answer what you know. I obviously need more information before we make a decision about anything.

1. How are the firefighting jobs in the Tennessee area?
2. How about teaching or writing jobs (I also Freelance write/edit. Ignore any mistakes here, please. I'm using an iPhone).
3. What about housing?
4. Tell me about the education in Tennessee.
5. We love outdoor activities, any hiking/camping/hunting areas?
6. The culture. One thing I severely dislike about East Texas is the prevalence of racism. It's nothing to hear people spout derogatory terms (even in the schools, to the teachers). I was told it was stupid to teach MLK's "I have a Dream" speech last year to my 9th graders. I know this is often a southern thing, but I don't want any more of it. It would be a deal breaker for me. Same for gays and other lifestyle choices. I don't care how peole live their lives and I don't want to hear about how they are an "abomination". Am I going to run across this in Tennessee?
7. Any suggestions on areas to visit by our criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,528,200 times
Is the entire state of Texas the same as the tiny town your live in?
No. Neither are all areas of TN the same.
Firefighting jobs will differ depending on the size of the city/town you live in. In my area there is only a volunteer fire dept.

Same for teaching jobs. More opportunities in larger citys and better pay as the schools are funded largely by property taxes.

What about housing? Availability, pricing? Depends on the area you are looking at.

Tennessee has a variety of state parks and wildlife areas.

Culture differs. You are always going to find some prejudice. You will see it more in rural area. Overall I would say TN is not the sterotypic racist south as some believe. I live in a very rural area and people are for the most part very welcoming of others. In our town of 2,500, and thats actually the incorporated town, we have interracial marriages, hispanics, blacks, whites, Indians, gays, christians, athiests, mennonites, wiccans, buddists, republicans and democrats and even vegetarians.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM

23,654 posts, read 21,987,948 times
" yes" ! if you are willing... It's all up too you...

Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
I am a firefighter/EMT in Nashville. My wife teaches in 2 private schools both schools together pay approx. 30000 .I make approx 55000 have not had even a cost of living increase in 6 years. Fire dept. Jobs are very political and are difficult to get but you stated in your post he is in law enforcement. They are easy jobs to get public schools pay approx 40000 a year.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM

368 posts, read 759,910 times
Yes Tennessee's worth it...I love it

Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 PM

21,013 posts, read 15,317,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaKH View Post
I've always loved Tennessee. I've been a few times during summer months and being from Texas, I find it has the right amount of southern culture that I genuinely enjoy.

That being said, my husband and I live in a tiny East Texas town. The area is beautiful, and we live on a secluded plot of land 20 miles from town. I like all of this, but it has a downside, there are no jobs and ours is one of the most poverty sticken areas of Texas. Ignorance and uneducation abound.

I am a school teacher here, and my husband works in law enforcement.

Here are our plans: Hubs is finishing up his firefighters certification program in December, then he has EMT training in the fall, he has a BS in Gen Ed. He wants to work for a fire department elsewhere.

We're pretty open, but we are looking in a few key areas. The first being Austin (area), then Colorado Springs (area--I have family out west), and now we're adding Tennissee to the list. Both of us love visiting, and coming from the coastal plains of Texas, humidity doesn't bug us much.

Now you know our story, here are a few questions...

Feel free to answer what you know. I obviously need more information before we make a decision about anything.

1. How are the firefighting jobs in the Tennessee area? Many of the small towns have only volunteer fire departments. I would believe paid opportunities could be found in bigger cities.
2. How about teaching or writing jobs (I also Freelance write/edit. Ignore any mistakes here, please. I'm using an iPhone). Teachers are in high demand in TN. Pay/benefits aren't quite as generous as more blue states, but TN teachers are doing far better than most of their private sector counterparts. Writing/journalism is a dying field. There aren't many jobs in this field anywhere.
3. What about housing? Housing is relatively inexpensive in most places in the state and property taxes are low.
4. Tell me about the education in Tennessee. The more affluent parts have good public schools. Smaller towns and rural counties often struggle with public education. Universities from high quality to very poor. Like anywhere else, choose wisely.
5. We love outdoor activities, any hiking/camping/hunting areas? Pretty much all over the state. You should have no problems.
6. The culture. One thing I severely dislike about East Texas is the prevalence of racism. It's nothing to hear people spout derogatory terms (even in the schools, to the teachers). I was told it was stupid to teach MLK's "I have a Dream" speech last year to my 9th graders. I know this is often a southern thing, but I don't want any more of it. It would be a deal breaker for me. Same for gays and other lifestyle choices. I don't care how peole live their lives and I don't want to hear about how they are an "abomination". Am I going to run across this in Tennessee? WASP culture tends to be predominant, especially in the more white parts of the state. People will invite you to church, etc. You WILL hear negative remarks about blacks, gays, etc, from time to time, but most of this is going to depend on your circle of friends and how you present yourself. Unless you are really out and open with social liberalism, most people won't badger you.
7. Any suggestions on areas to visit by our criteria? Stick to Knoxville, Nashville, and Chattanooga. TN outside of those places is often poor with very few jobs and will give you an extremely negative impression of the state.
Responses above.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 AM

406 posts, read 663,023 times
Yes, Tennessee is worth moving to...as long as you stay away from West Tennessee (Memphis side of the state).

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM

1,243 posts, read 891,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Responses above.
I would add the Tri-Cities (Kingsport-Bristol-Johnson City) region to your list, as well. MY dad is a retired Firefighter for Kingsport (pretty good salary, excellent retirement). I'm a school teacher for a county school (decent salary), and the job market is 'fair to good'. City school salaries are some of the best in the state. Counties not so much.

All else in the above post can apply to this region as well.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,778,178 times
Ok, now I feel compelled to defend my hometown. This side of the state is not as pretty as Middle and East Tennessee. I will readily admit that. And we have plenty of "big city" problems (crime, poverty, bad schools) too. But we have a lot going for us as well. FedEx, International Paper, AutoZone, and Service Master are all headquartered here and employ many thousands of people. The food here is pretty excellent for a city of this size and we have a distinct culture, which is quite different from the hill people of the rest of the state. We have many stunningly beautiful neighborhoods that are priced within the reach of more people that would be the case in many other cities. All that said, it would be hard to recommend Memphis to a teacher unless she really knew what she was geting herself into. Being a teacher is a hard enough job anywhere. Unfortunately, so many of the kids here are very behind and so many more are hostile. My mother taught high school for 30+ years in neighboring Fayette County and it wasn't much better. Maybe if you can afford to take a lower paying teaching job at a private school. No school is perfect, but it makes such a difference when most kids come to school with grade level aptitudes and good attitude. Good luck to you!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM

268 posts, read 625,227 times
Tennessee is a wonderful state to come to. You can find everything here. If you feel comfortable with southern
culture of the kind that has it's roots in black life, you have Memphis. If you are kind of in the middle, so is Nashville.
Out east, you have a much whiter demographic, but you get a little hill culture that trips some folks out. Folks are
not as open, but they are fine folks. As a food place, ehhh, you oughta stay out west. This is not a food culture
place like New Orleans or NY or Chicago or KC, places like that. There are fires to be fought, and there are kids to
be taught, same as where you are from. Kids today are messed up though, they are not in the mood to be in school.
Especially in the Western end. I am not sure there is a state that offers more recreation outside of maybe NC. There
is a lot to do for the sportsmen and outdoors enthusiast. You'd likely know better about writing jobs. Didn't know you
could get paid for that. What the hell am I doing this job for? Same as most places I guess. Things are tough all over.

I grew up in New Orleans, spent a ton of time in MS, AL, TN and NC. I am in Memphis now and trying to get out to go
out to the East end. Why would I give up life in NO where I am familiar with it and have good connections? Because
TN is a dream location in a lot of ways. If you are into music, every third of the state has it's own huge traditions.
NO state taxes. Reasonable property values....what's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee