U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 AM

508 posts, read 535,585 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for land in western Lincoln county, TN. We currently live in north Alabama and I'm getting ready to retire.

My main focus is the hill country north and south of Hwy 64 and well west of the Fayetteville area. Land with a small house is OK, but we're more interested in buying property, about 75-150 acres +/-.

We do have a realtor, so any MLS-listed properties will go through him. For sale by owner however, we can go after by ourselves.

Is there any particular place we should stay away from?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 PM

231 posts, read 467,953 times
Default Looking for land in western Lincoln County

I retired from Huntsville to Tennessee some Years ago--currently live in North Giles County. If the property you plan to purchase is on the County water system be advised that such is marginal in some rural Lincoln areas--inadequate pressure and supply. You will find that some rural paved roads are atrocious at best. If you are on a Well be advised that dry weather during the last some Years has caused some wells to weaken, go dry or to be seasonal--same with Springs. It would be best to check the flow rate of wells. The property boundary system is different in Tennessee than Alabama. I forget the correct terminolog, but in Tn. the original surveys identified boundary lines by landmarks--big trees, rocks etc. These landmarks are mostly no longer identifiable, thus currently the only boundary lines that can be enforced are fence lines--you own only such land as is fenced provided the fence has been in place at least 7 Years no matter what your deed says. Also be advised of the possibility that a deed can state that title is passed free of encumberances and a search of previous transfers may not reveal such yet the owner of adjoining property may have an easement or right of way etc. across your property--safe thing is to pay for a title search of all adjacent property. Sorry to be so lengthy--lot of Bear traps out there.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 AM

508 posts, read 535,585 times
Good stuff, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or