Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM

91 posts, read 131,197 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My wife and I are considering a move to TN but have concerns since we have heard that at one point there was weapons testing in TN several years ago. We are concerned about any residual radiation or harmful particles that could cause cancer. It sounds a bit paranoid, but it is something we want to look into. Does anyone know if there was weapons testing done in TN and if so where? Also does is the drinking water in the Nashville area of good quality?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Other than the huge nuclear plant in Oak Ridge, it's fine.

Just Google Oak Ridge National Laboratory or Y-12 security complex.

Here's a great article about the fascinating history of Oak Ridge.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...t-city/100326/

Yes, the water in Nashville is of great quality. It doesn't taste as good as Memphis water, but it is clean and does not cause you to glow in the dark.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Nashville drinking water is disgusting IMO. There is some smell that makes it so I can't drink it. But I'm used to the nice Hetch Hetchy water of the Sierras which is where SF's tap water comes from.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
N.Cal - IIRC they say it's some kind of algae in the water that leaves a taste. I think some kid probably peed in it at Nashville Shores...

Don't forget about all the nuke plants along the Tennessee River, wouldn't want to get within a hundred miles of them. Then there's the rocket testing at Arnold AFB southeast of Nashville, probably some depleted uranium at Fort Campbell northwest of Nashville, the coal-fired power plants along the Cumberland River (which runs through downtown Nashville), and the mold and after effects of the Nashville floods.

Then there's also all the people who carry handguns and the danger of lead poisoning.

Don't even get me started on the pollen.

Last edited by Reactionary; 11-30-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 AM

91 posts, read 131,197 times
Thank you for the input. Wow, that's some crazy stuff. Does any of this impact residents of Franklin, Brentwood or Springhill? Does the Nashville area have a higher cancer rate than most cities?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikm23 View Post
Does the Nashville area have a higher cancer rate than most cities?
I'm guessing you've never been to Vegas. If you're looking for lung cancer, that's the place to be. EVERYONE smokes and they can smoke anywhere they want.

Nashville doesn't have a high cancer rate....and I think Reactionary was pulling your leg a bit. There is no active nuclear testing going on here...or anywhere.

Ft Campbell is not a nuclear base so I doubt they have nuclear weapons on base and they certainly have no depleted uranium. Even locations that do store that stuff, like Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and Newport News are perfectly safe.

Arnold AFB is does aerospace testing, not weapons testing. They do testing and evaluation on aerospace structures. There are no active test ranges in TN. Oak Ridge was involved with nuclear testing way back, which is near Knoxville. Even in that area there is not a higher than normal cancer rate.

There is probably more to worry about from the Auto assembly plants in TN that Arnold AFB or Oak Ridge. They deal with harmful solvents on a daily basis.

TVA has three nuclear power plants. Two of them are in TN. We're not living in the 70's any more. Nuclear power plants these days are clean and safe.

TVA: Nuclear Energy

Lead poisoning from carrying a gun?

If you have allergies, pollen can give you a runny nose, but it's nothing life threatening.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikm23 View Post
Does any of this impact residents of Franklin, Brentwood or Springhill?
No.

Does the Nashville area have a higher cancer rate than most cities?

There is tons of information about cancer rates easily available with a Google search. Here is a sample site:

Incidence Rates Report - State Cancer Profiles

Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
roosc - I wasn't pulling the OP's leg - I was playing right into his paranoia. However, everything I mentioned is true and of concern to people like the OP. Personally I think the OP should consider staying in the healthful environment of Chicago...

Depleted uranium is used in anti-tank weapons - more than likely there are several laying around Fort Campbell. They are considered a health hazard by many liberals. They are not the same as nuclear weapons.

Rocket Motor Testing done at Arnold AFB releases toxins into the air - but not enough for normal people to worry about.

Coal-fired power plants really do produce lots of toxic waste - the Cumberland Plant is the most toxic plant in the state. However, most people prefer electricity and consider reasonable efforts to minimize pollution to be an adequate trade-off. And while nuke plants may seem safe to me and rossc, there are plenty of liberals who are anti-science when it furthers their agenda.

The EPA Superfund lists about a couple of dozen industrial sites in TN (along the lines of what rossc suggested but not auto plants which are newer and cleaner), including a few in Nashville. Most of those site issues have been resolved, either through cleanup or just a decision to leave well enough alone.

The floods really did (and do) pose an environmental hazard, mostly through the oils and chemicals disturbed in the flooding.

The comment about handguns is my tweak to those like the OP who live in an area known for oppressing people with limits on their individual freedom. Tennessee protects the freedoms of those who own firearms.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
roosc - I wasn't pulling the OP's leg - I was playing right into his paranoia. However, everything I mentioned is true and of concern to people like the OP. Personally I think the OP should consider staying in the healthful environment of Chicago...

Depleted uranium is used in anti-tank weapons - more than likely there are several laying around Fort Campbell. They are considered a health hazard by many liberals. They are not the same as nuclear weapons.
Many liberals are are afraid of laundry detergent. I get your point now. None of this is really a concern unless you happen to have a crippling case of paranoia. Last time I was in Chicago, I came home with the worse case of the flu I've ever had. A nuclear test facility would probably be step up from Chicago.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
ORNL, or what you are calling "Oak Ridge," did isotope separation or uranium and later the production of enriched uranium but they did not do weapons "testing." And there is not a nuclear plant in Oak Ridge, huge or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee