U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2006, 03:28 PM
 
Location: El Paso area
11 posts, read 92,944 times
Reputation: 17
Question Lookin' For Snow!

Please tell me I can live in Tennessee and still have snow! We have decided we want to live in Tennessee but really miss the snow. We are a military family that has been forced to live in places that are snow challenged. We are currently in El Paso Texas and are about to retire. We want rural, mountains,christian and right-wing friendly. We are also partial to flying our American flag year round. Any help you fine people can offer would be greatly appreciated. So far we are lookin' at Mountain City and maybe Gatlinburg for potential white winters. Can't handle snobby people and need acreage. I will be on the edge of my rocker waitin' for a reply.
One more thing....it appears that the Tennessee government is less intrusive than most. Am I way off base here or would that be an accurate statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2006, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 14,473,275 times
Reputation: 3216
I know nothing about the TN government, but you'd probably see some snow, most places, most winters generally speaking for the entire state. Especially in the mountains. Chattanooga, probably not so much since they average 5" a year, but Knoxville averages 10" and Kingsport/Johnson City average around 15".

I've heard many people talk about wishing to fly the U.S. flag everyday without offending anyone, while in the U.S. I'm still confused to why there are many places that this offence might be common. Everytime I drive across the border I can count on seeing at least one gigantic U.S. flag, like over 100 sq. feet in size, in and around Buffalo, NY or Detroit MI. Even in Canada, some people fly the U.S. flag, often along side a Canadian flag year round. There's a vague chance it might offend or confuse some, but only because this is the "wrong country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
 
Location: El Paso area
11 posts, read 92,944 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I know nothing about the TN government, but you'd probably see some snow, most places, most winters generally speaking for the entire state. Especially in the mountains. Chattanooga, probably not so much since they average 5" a year, but Knoxville averages 10" and Kingsport/Johnson City average around 15".

I've heard many people talk about wishing to fly the U.S. flag everyday without offending anyone, while in the U.S. I'm still confused to why there are many places that this offence might be common. Everytime I drive across the border I can count on seeing at least one gigantic U.S. flag, like over 100 sq. feet in size, in and around Buffalo, NY or Detroit MI. Even in Canada, some people fly the U.S. flag, often along side a Canadian flag year round. There's a vague chance it might offend or confuse some, but only because this is the "wrong country."
TY for the reply. Yes, you would be surprised at what HOA's will say you can't do on your own property or historic town council's! The place I am looking for everone or at least most will fly the flag is what I'm hoping for.
RE:The snow issue
I see the snow stats on websites but from what I hear in most places it doesn't stick. I want a place where the snow doesnt melt away by noon when it does snow. Of course I want that place to be in Tennessee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 PM
 
408 posts, read 1,301,234 times
Reputation: 125
For the most part, snow now a days comes and goes quickly. I'm not really sure how Knoxville averages 10". Since January of this year, there was nothing but flurries and maybe a dusting. I don't really remember Gatlinburg getting too much during that time either- mostly it was up in the Mountains. One of the Knoxville stations has a camera at the Ripley's Aquarium that they show and I don't recall seeing and hearing about snow. I could be wrong.
Johnson City and Kingsport are at a higher elevation than Knoxville, so I'd say there is a little more snow. I've not spent a winter up in the Tri-cities yet to be able to say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2006, 06:01 PM
 
16,853 posts, read 22,418,527 times
Reputation: 12081
Default Everything you want is here in Colorado Springs.

If you were ever at Fort Carson, you already know this area. If not, you're a day's drive from here, come check us out.

We have lots of snow, an hour's drive into the high country.

We are a major religious center, possibly even the mother lode of evangelicalism.

Flags are welcome is many areas, though some HOA's do restrict them.

Lots of fellow military retirees here, commissary, PX, medical, jobs, etc.

TN is lovely too. Been to Gatlinburg. The Smokies are gorgeous. But Colorado snow & mountains dwarf just about anything else.

s/Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2006, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 14,473,275 times
Reputation: 3216
Why would a homeowners' association restrict flags? Are they worried they'll be hanging on ugly poles, or worried that they'll be left out so long their colours will be almost all gone and instead look yellow and ratty?

The only places that the snow will stick for days every time is really high up in altitude. You mentioned the snow being gone by noon. Well that won't happen all the time. Even in central NC, (milder than east TN) where a friend of mine lives the snow can stick around for 2-3 days once or twice a winter and that isn't too unusual. You just won't get a "season of snow" in TN. I've heard rumours though that in some years snow cover can last for several weeks in the southern Appalaichians, like East TN or western NC. If you want the snow to always stay for weeks and months, not hours or days you might want to check out Vermont or New Hampshire. I'd suspect in the mountains of TN their are some areas where the snow will stay for more than a week. Also if you like snow, move somewhere with a mountain to the south so you don't get any direct sun in winter; that'll keep the snow on the ground for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2006, 07:10 PM
 
1,173 posts, read 4,266,671 times
Reputation: 936
Mountain Momma, you can be my neighbor any day!!! Right wing friendly is fine (preferred) with me and I'll be happy to raise or lower your flag for you when you folks are away for the day.

We're looking in the Tri-City area for our community and home. I have yet to experience a winter so I'll need to defer to others on the specifics. However, if you're looking for North Dakota winters you'll be disappointed. If you're fine with more moderation in the level and frequency of the snow, you'll do fine.

Good luck on your search. I know that if you were to spend some time in the areas you mentioned, you'll find it agreeable to you. Again, good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2006, 09:12 PM
 
19 posts, read 73,793 times
Reputation: 15
I can vouch for you that Gatlinburg (downtown) got a nice size snowfall this winter. It was about 14 inches. I know because I was at Ober Gatlinburg skiing when it fell. Up there they got about 2 feet. It came on a weekend in mid February. It was the most snow I had seen around here since about 1996. We even got about 6 inches here in Seymour. It does seem like we dont get as much snow as we used to. It melts too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
 
Location: El Paso area
11 posts, read 92,944 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you were ever at Fort Carson, you already know this area. If not, you're a day's drive from here, come check us out.

We have lots of snow, an hour's drive into the high country.

We are a major religious center, possibly even the mother lode of evangelicalism.

Flags are welcome is many areas, though some HOA's do restrict them.

Lots of fellow military retirees here, commissary, PX, medical, jobs, etc.

TN is lovely too. Been to Gatlinburg. The Smokies are gorgeous. But Colorado snow & mountains dwarf just about anything else.


s/Mike
Hmmmm......well I looked at Colorado a while back and it seemed to be a bit pricey for anything with a decent view or trees. Seemed that all the really pretty places had been turned into ski resorts for the hoity toities. Some thing's i've seen on the news in the last few years makes me think it's becoming more liberal which as you might have guessed is not appealing to me.
Tell u what, I'll take another look but I fear they won't have that Southern charm I love so much. TY for your reply and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 PM
 
Location: El Paso area
11 posts, read 92,944 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Mountain Momma, you can be my neighbor any day!!! Right wing friendly is fine (preferred) with me and I'll be happy to raise or lower your flag for you when you folks are away for the day.

We're looking in the Tri-City area for our community and home. I have yet to experience a winter so I'll need to defer to others on the specifics. However, if you're looking for North Dakota winters you'll be disappointed. If you're fine with more moderation in the level and frequency of the snow, you'll do fine.

Good luck on your search. I know that if you were to spend some time in the areas you mentioned, you'll find it agreeable to you. Again, good luck!!!
Hiya Garth,
Glad to hear it! If we end up neighbors you can be sure I'll help you with your flag as well. I have been glued to the puter today and found some interesting info. I am not sure I should share with the world before I find myself a spot there! Seems this area of Tennessee has become quite popular(NE TN) so the price of land and homes has gone up. I will say this the two towns with the highest elevations are Roan Mountain and Mountain City and they seem to get more snowfall there. Roan Mountain is a little pricier than Mountain City. Ok thats all I'm gonna say for now! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top