U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Reputation: 13304

Advertisements

Last time I checked, an agricultural degree takes FOUR years!

https://ag.tennessee.edu/Pages/default.aspx

I think Nashville has some of the higher rents in the state. Memphis will probably be better. Or try Knoxville. You won't find lower than $600 for a two bedroom but the cost of living is pretty low around here and the University of Tennessee is amazing. However, your husband would have to find another job. It looks like he has a great resume, though. We have the lowest unemployment rate of the largest MSAs in the state. There are jobs here. Good jobs. Or Memphis, as I said...Maybe there is a place with lower rents in Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 AM
 
4,989 posts, read 4,493,507 times
Reputation: 4569
Caldwell Courts is one the cheapest condos you can buy in Nashville. We are looking at purchasing some rental property right now, and I wouldn't even buy in there to rent. It's a very transient community. Most condos in there rent month to month. Many people who live there wouldn't be able to rent anywhere else- bad credit, criminal records, etc. etc. I would also worry about gangs in that complex.
It's not really in Crieve Hall, Crieve Hall is a nice area of Nashville, these are outside of the technical Crieve Hall boundaries. And this is completely the opposite of living in a rural area like you had originally discussed. This is in the middle of Nashville. And it's in Middle TN, not East TN.
I really encourage you to put off your move until after you can save up to visit. You are all over the map, and until you can better narrow down a part of the state and a type of living (rural/suburban/city), it will be hard to pick somewhere that you will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN (USA)
802 posts, read 1,688,720 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
That's not in Crieve Hall. It's in the Caldwell Abbey neighborhood north of Crieve Hall. Those may have been okay 20 years ago, but they probably feel a little sketch now. That's why the price is so low. To be honest, anything that low in the city that isn't a studio in a home is probably going to be a bit rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Reputation: 13304
I just realized that my post may have made it sound like I was astonished that an AG degree takes four years. That's not the case. I grew up around wonderful AG programs up in New England. It is a great degree and Knoxville's UT has a fabulous program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM
 
192 posts, read 287,912 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Caldwell Courts is one the cheapest condos you can buy in Nashville. We are looking at purchasing some rental property right now, and I wouldn't even buy in there to rent. It's a very transient community. Most condos in there rent month to month. Many people who live there wouldn't be able to rent anywhere else- bad credit, criminal records, etc. etc. I would also worry about gangs in that complex.
It's not really in Crieve Hall, Crieve Hall is a nice area of Nashville, these are outside of the technical Crieve Hall boundaries. And this is completely the opposite of living in a rural area like you had originally discussed. This is in the middle of Nashville. And it's in Middle TN, not East TN.
I really encourage you to put off your move until after you can save up to visit. You are all over the map, and until you can better narrow down a part of the state and a type of living (rural/suburban/city), it will be hard to pick somewhere that you will be happy.
I do want to live in a rural area. But it was said that I should come up with a better plan. So my plan is to use my husbands job at Taylor to help him get one at gibson just to get us over to Tennessee. Then once we are there we can find the rural area we want to live in and he can actually go to job interviews, visit the area, etc. The top of our budget is around $600 and it looks like there are some pretty nice places just outside of nashville for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
 
192 posts, read 287,912 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I just realized that my post may have made it sound like I was astonished that an AG degree takes four years. That's not the case. I grew up around wonderful AG programs up in New England. It is a great degree and Knoxville's UT has a fabulous program.
Thats awesome!! thanks for letting me know I really think that is what I will go with then. Ill figure out the specifics later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 PM
 
192 posts, read 287,912 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The average rent in Nashville is right around $800/month.

So half that in a prime area would raise a huge red flag for me.

Remember... you get what you pay for.
Unfortunately my budget is $600. Is this a nice area? (http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Tenne...ook-Apartments) Is $800 average rent for ALL apartments of different sizes? So would that mean $600 for a one bedroom is around average?

Last edited by crunchymama192; 12-10-2012 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM
 
11,612 posts, read 31,808,854 times
Reputation: 8213
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
Thats awesome!! thanks for letting me know I really think that is what I will go with then. Ill figure out the specifics later.
You could easily find an apartment in your price range in Cookeville, home of Tennessee Tech University which has an awesome School of Agriculture. Cookeville is also home to Tennessee's largest trucking company, Averitt Express, if your husband wanted to go that route. It's an hour east of Nashville. It's a small town (30,000) surrounded by beautiful countryside: farms, lakes, waterfalls, gorges, rolling hills. And if your family back in Cali ever wanted to visit, air fares from Cali to Nashville are much cheaper, sometimes half the cost of flying into Knoxville.

Check out the Cookeville Photo Thread to see what the place looks like.

Good luck!
__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
39,195 posts, read 37,806,900 times
Reputation: 73970
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
Unfortunately my budget is $600. Is this a nice area? (The Residences at Stonebrook Apartments for Rent | Nashville TN Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com) Is $800 average rent for ALL apartments of different sizes? So would that mean $600 for a one bedroom is around average?
It's average for a 1 bedroom.

You need to consolidate your Nashville-related questions into 1 thread in the Nashville forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
 
192 posts, read 287,912 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You could easily find an apartment in your price range in Cookeville, home of Tennessee Tech University which has an awesome School of Agriculture. Cookeville is also home to Tennessee's largest trucking company, Averitt Express, if your husband wanted to go that route. It's an hour east of Nashville. It's a small town (30,000) surrounded by beautiful countryside: farms, lakes, waterfalls, gorges, rolling hills. And if your family back in Cali ever wanted to visit, air fares from Cali to Nashville are much cheaper, sometimes half the cost of flying into Knoxville.

Check out the Cookeville Photo Thread to see what the place looks like.

Good luck!
Thats something I will keep in mind incase Gibson doesnt work out. from what ive read gibson will hire out of nashville (hopefully out of state) so thats our goal for now. But that does sound nice. only negative about the trucking jobs is he would probably be gone for a while at a time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top