U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2006, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,879 times
Default lafayette

My family and I are thinking of relocating to Lafayette, in Macon County from Connecticut. I'd like to know if anyone has any information about this area. Housing prices seem to be very affordable. How are the schools? How far to shopping, work, etc.? Any information would be appreciated. We are coming down for a look in April and would like to put a deposit on some property while we're there. We're planning to move once school is finished up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2006, 09:13 AM

12 posts, read 26,791 times
Default Resident of Lafayette for 18 yrs

Hello I saw your post and thought I would drop you a line. While I do not live in Lafayette now I did live there for 18 yrs and only moved about a year ago.
Since I used to work for the school system I thought I would give you some word on that.
The schools in Lafayette are pretty good, the teachers overall are excellent.
Since I do not know the ages of your children I cannot give you specifics, but I feel I can say that for a small community the education system there is great. There are also outside activities in the area that your kids can get involved in such as youth softball, football, basketball, and soccer.
While the area is pretty rural there are quite a few things there. There is a Walmart Super Center, a small shopping center, several fast food places such as McDonalds, Hardees, Pizza Hut, Subway, and Sonic, a really terrific locally owned Mexican place and also a place called the Grecian that has a pretty good buffet. If you are into fitness there are a couple of fitness centers and one of those is a Curves for Women.
There is pretty good public library and if your kids are interested a terrific 4H program that actually goes into the schools once a month and also offers after school activities.
There are ladies clubs and other organizations to get involved in and many churches of all denominations.
They have a hospital and several excellent doctors in the community and if you are looking for a pediatrician I would suggest the Gallatin Children's Clinic which is based in Gallatin, Tn but has a office in Lafayette. Those doctors are wonderful and it is because of them that my daughter is still here. Dr. Ronald Miller is a fantastic children's doctor.
The community is overall very friendly and welcoming. The only drawback seems to me that it takes at least 40 minutes to get to anywhere else of any size to go shopping.
I hope this helps you some. Good Luck to you.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you, I appreciate the information very much. My children are 13 and 16 both boys. They will be interested in getting involved in some of the activities you mentioned. As for me, as long as there is a Walmart around I'm a happy girl. Thanks also for the information on the pediatritian. I will look him up as soon as we get there. I find that word of mouth is the best way to find a doctor. I am curious about one thing though. If you don't mind my asking, why did you leave?

Old 03-31-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Why?

After a divorce(little over 2 yrs ago) I went back to college full time and worked subbing in Lafayette during the school year (I had done that for 10 years). The reason I moved is because I got a job working in drywall for the summer (2 yrs ago)in Maryville, TN which is in East Tennessee. Since I am an old lady full time college student it was perfect, and I did expect to return to Lafayette permantly at the end of the summer and did ,but the very one I went to work for is now my new husband of 2 weeks so I guess you can imagine what happened). So I did not leave because of the area.

Since you have older kids I can tell you more about the schools since I worked mostly at the Jr. High and High School. I personally think the Jr. High is wonderful. There are so many terrific teachers there and they are pretty receptive to parental concerns. The head at the school is Bobby Bransford and his assistant is Philip Stafford. Both are great guys. Mrs. Hackett in the office is also very helpful and friendly so any time you have to deal with stuff you will never have a problem.
The high school is pretty good. The building is relatively new. There are lots of classes offered and even some college credit ones. There are some really awesome teachers there that really know their stuff and care about the students. Mrs. Fitzpatrick is the best English teacher I have ever came in contact with. She really gets those kids prepared for college, by making sure they know the proper way to write papers and also how to do public speaking.
The school system in Lafayette is extremely protective of the students and has really good security at all the school buildings.
I hope that helps you. Stay in touch.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:25 PM

Oh yeah and Dr. Chunn is a wonderful general family doctor he was my own till I moved. He is kind of serious and quiet, but really goes the distance for his patients.
Oh yeah hopefully you will be able to attend the county fair in late July/early August, it is one of the best and has lots of local flavor. I enjoyed helping with it when I worked with the Extension Service.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 PM

I can't thank you enough for the information. It's so hard to know which way to turn when your new in town. I'm sure your suggestions will be invaluable to me when we get there. We are going to be there in two weeks to look at houses. I can hardly stand the wait. The property is so much more affordable down there than up here. We like where we live now, it's also very small townish and rural. We drive 20 mins to the walmart and 30-40 mins to do any real shopping so we're already used to that. We just can't afford to live here anymore. We think we know the house we want in Lafayette, we just need to see it and we're ready to start the paperwork. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 AM

Wink I was in Lafayette a couple of days this week.

Hey there, I went to Lafayette Monday and Tuesday to see a few of my former co-workers and friends this week and found that they have also built a new Wal-Greens drug store, hey they are growing (LOL). I think you will be very happy there. They have enough of the conviences such as the Super Center, some auto parts places, several banks, fast food, and other shops all within the same area on Hwy 52 while also still having the charm of the old town square.
What area of the county is the house you are thinking of buying?
Also I will put a plug in for Citizens Bank.....they have wonderful customer service and the they are really great. Even though I do not live there I still keep a checking acount with them, because I think the attention and service you get there is just hard to beat, plus while they are a local bank they have several branches.
If I was you while I was in town I would go by the Chamber of Commerce and get some more info about the local area. It is in a park just off the square in a log cabin.
Oh yeah remeber not to ever call it La-Fa-yette as in the traditional way in Tennessee it is call La-Fay-ette, heavy emphasis on the fay part.
Another town in the same county is Red Boiling Springs, it is very rural, but has some beautiful bed and breakfasts that on the historical register. The Thomas House is awesome and the family that runs it are absolutely the nicest. It is a really great place to go eat and they have special events throughout the year such as dinner theater, a beautiful Christmas display inside and out, and a big 4th of July shing-ding. It is decorated with lots of antiques and interesting little details. RBS also has a couple of festivals throughout the year. Just do not drink the water it is sulpher water. During the early 20th century people used to travel there to take baths in it because it was supposed to have health benefits.
Please do keep me post on what is going on, I am thrilled that I can promote an area that I still have attachments due to my time there and the many friends I made.
Angie
coffeebeanzzz@hotmail.com

Old 06-10-2006, 08:23 AM

338 posts, read 929,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callypat
My family and I are thinking of relocating to Lafayette, in Macon County from Connecticut. I'd like to know if anyone has any information about this area. Housing prices seem to be very affordable. How are the schools? How far to shopping, work, etc.? Any information would be appreciated. We are coming down for a look in April and would like to put a deposit on some property while we're there. We're planning to move once school is finished up here.
So did you move or not? Just wondering. I would love to visit Red Boiling Springs- I have researched this area in hopes of finding a teaching job- however there never seem to be many teacher openings. I wonder how far I would have to travel to get to work in a different school district but still live in that general area??? Any suggestions or comments on Tennessee living are welcome-NY State teacher relocating July 2007. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: