U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 PM

14 posts, read 22,391 times

Advertisements

Can't seem to find much on Jackson. I know the schools have issues (including the fact that three of the five candidates for superintendent have withdrawn from consideration this week), and I know that in East Jackson the crime rate is high. Would like to get other input - seems like a decent place to raise a family if you either homeschool or do private school. How is the farmers market? Downtown vibe? activities for kids and families? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM

14,944 posts, read 26,665,395 times
There are 79 other threads with Jackson in the title here in the TN forum. Go to Search>Advanced Search>Jackson in subject line> select TN on the drop down forum menu.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM

14 posts, read 22,391 times
Thanks, Beretta. Much of that info is at least 2-3 years old. Am hoping to get more current input.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 7,330 times
Although I now live in Texas, I am from the Jackson area originally. Yes, East Jackson is pretty bad when it comes to crime, but it's an exception to the rest of the area. The downtown area is like most small towns, meaning there's not a lot there. Jackson has one really decent university - two others are having financial problems - and a community college. You'll find the usual chain stores around town. I don't know about a farmers market, but there are a lot of places around the area where you can purchase produce from stands and farms. The weather is generally mild, with a few weeks of really warm weather in summer and a few weeks of winter, although snow and ice is usually north of I-40. It's about 80 miles to Memphis and 120 to Nashville.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 AM

555 posts, read 1,052,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changes in lattitudes View Post
Thanks, Beretta. Much of that info is at least 2-3 years old. Am hoping to get more current input.
I doubt it's changed much in the past three years.

Where are you from?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:41 PM

6 posts, read 7,691 times
Default Jackson

The farmers market it great, but it is seasonal and only on weekends, plus there is a crowd and you have to get there early because certain things sell out (people come from 30+ miles away for the Amish baked goods and dairy products as well as other things). The city and businesses have made a huge push to revitalize downtown, putting in a huge new apartment complex, the lift center which has a gym, pool, doctor's office, physical and occupational therapy, massage, etc., and I believe a few small businesses have located there, but the area is still surrounded by crime, old historic southern homes (mansions almost) that were once beautiful and well loved, but which have been neglected, broken into, abandoned, and destroyed, ramshackle housing, gang territory, and drug dealers, all within walking distance of this new area- I would not walk to my car at night in this area. Additionally, this is far from the chain restaurants, shopping, most other housing and apartments, the private schools, the "better" public schools of Jackson (although the public opinion is Jackson public schools are for the most part not great), and lots of other services- you are near one of the hospitals, but not much else. As far as things for children, its average at best- a couple of nice playgrounds, church and schools have events, some community events, good libraries, etc. We don't have a zoo, water park, aren't close to a theme park. There is a family fun center for older kids with bowling, skating, laser tag, go karts and the like, but it isn't always family friendly or safe at night either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee