U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 PM

7 posts, read 5,991 times

Advertisements

My family and I need to move. I was looking at property in the Tazewell and Sneedville areas as they have cheaper land and I like center to eastern area. Hopefully near the border of KY or somehwere hilly. I was looking specifically for a place with at least 10 acres and a 3 bed 2 bath and decent sized kitchen. My only problem is that my family members think that there is no work in those areas. I'm starting vet school though and don't mind odd-jobs. Something I wanted to know is if there is a problem with gender.I am female and the only one able to work. If it helps any, I currently live in Western FL and absolutly tired of it. Could only get a part-time job at my school. Thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 AM

22,534 posts, read 46,092,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwhisper View Post
My family and I need to move. I was looking at property in the Tazewell and Sneedville areas as they have cheaper land and I like center to eastern area. Hopefully near the border of KY or somehwere hilly. I was looking specifically for a place with at least 10 acres and a 3 bed 2 bath and decent sized kitchen. My only problem is that my family members think that there is no work in those areas. I'm starting vet school though and don't mind odd-jobs. Something I wanted to know is if there is a problem with gender.I am female and the only one able to work. If it helps any, I currently live in Western FL and absolutly tired of it. Could only get a part-time job at my school. Thanks ahead of time.
The unemployment rates in that area are terrible. You are going to have to get closer to a metropolitan area like Knoxville. About 15 minutes from downtown it can be rural to semi-rural.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 PM

Thank you for the advice. It's very helpful. Where would be the best places for veterinary? I'm looking for something with a nice view (rolling land or mountains in the distance, something not city). Do you know the general price of something like this?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,523,664 times
Where are you attending vet school?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Currently at SPC, but due to circumstances we have to move. If not TN then we'll stay in FL where I hope to attend UF, but we're all very tired of it.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 AM

22,534 posts, read 46,092,033 times
UT Knoxville has a vet school.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:22 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,246,002 times
From your post it seems that you are taking a Vet tech classes which UT Knox Vet School does not have. Making a recommendation will depend on if you are going to continue classes and get a degree/certificate here or if you will have graduated by the time you move. The following is the a page from the Tennessee Vet Tech Association with accredited places to get your education: About TVTA

The closest Vet tech school to what you were interested in (Speedville, Tazewell) would be LMU which is north of Tazewell in Harrogate. LMU - Academics - Veterinary Technology The only thing I know about the area is what someone I know has said about what he likes about living there: "It's in the middle of no where." It does not sound like a great place for easily getting jobs but it is hilly and beautiful.

You would probably have better luck with jobs closer the Chattanooga (Chattanooga Sate Community College) or Nashville (Columbia State Community College) if you want both school and jobs.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Thanks guys. Do you know anything about Nunnally? I hear that they have lots of jobs available, but what about schools? Either vet tech or vet school. I wouldn't graduate before moving as I go part time. I was going to go to vet school but they are much more expensive so I decided to do vet tech, get a job and save, then go to vet school. Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,317,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwhisper View Post
Good god I can't get over the amount of people entertaining moving without a job already lined up.

TN is beautiful. I just moved back here from florida myself, I wish you luck, but don't move without a job first.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,777,657 times
Ditto what previous poster said. Unless you are sitting on a fortune and can afford to view life as one big vacation, job comes first. The thought of living anywhere without a job would scare the daylights out of me. Especially a rural area with fewer options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee