U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,430 times

Advertisements

I'm building a home in middle Tenn and wanted to get some feedback on Nat gas vs. propane costs for heating, drying, cooking, etc. With the new Nat Gas fracking going on I figure prices will be very low for years to come. I have never compared the 2 in Tennessee. I know each state has much different costs for Nat Gas.
- thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM

233 posts, read 462,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyz View Post
I'm building a home in middle Tenn and wanted to get some feedback on Nat gas vs. propane costs for heating, drying, cooking, etc. With the new Nat Gas fracking going on I figure prices will be very low for years to come. I have never compared the 2 in Tennessee. I know each state has much different costs for Nat Gas.
- thanks
Important to remember, natural gas is piped to your house while propane will have to be delivered and stored in a tank. If I was using it for anything "critical", I'd use natural gas. Would hate to not have heat because the propane truck couldn't get there for some reason.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 AM

182 posts, read 600,856 times
If I were building a home in Middle Tennessee I would put in some form of wood heat.......in addition to natural gas just for a back up. We use our wood stove a lot and it's cheap heat. Even if you have to buy the wood it's still very economical. The newer wood stoves are extremely efficient........meaning long burn time with each fill up.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM

283 posts, read 758,715 times
In a lot of rural areas, unless you have a natural gas well on your property, you are stuck with propane. You get a large tank, 200-300 hundred pound capacity, and keep track so that you order more way before you need it. There is only a short line between the tank and the house, which to me seems safer than lines running under the streets.

How about designing the house to use passive solar heat gain, which doesn't cost anything once you install it. Also, doesn't have the environmental issues that some associate with burning fuels, fracking versus potential damage to the water table, and non-renewable energies.

Not that I'm advocating anything specific, just seems to me that solar would be the cheapest in the long run. Personally, we have a propane tank that runs the cook stove and a small auxilliary heater, along with some solar gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee