U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM

52 posts, read 69,617 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Tennessee soon and while we know what a great place P. Forge and Gatlinburg is to be around I was wondering if anyone knows of any other "hidden" places that are considered amusement fun besides Dollywood??? Or even any beautiful "must see" spots? All of Tennessee is beautiful although the locals know ALL the right spots.
"hidden" simply meaning not as well-known.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM

39,026 posts, read 37,675,762 times
So do you mean fun (hidden) things to do in the Smokies/Gatlinburg area, and not "all over" Tennessee?

You might get more specific answers posting this in the Knoxville forum.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So do you mean fun (hidden) things to do in the Smokies/Gatlinburg area, and not "all over" Tennessee?

You might get more specific answers posting this in the Knoxville forum.
anywhere and everywhere, even if it's something you know of in a neighboring state. I figured if i'm interested in the WHOLE state then I shouldn't just post in one city of it, right?... thanks.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,775,504 times
Tennessee is a very long state. It's 8 hours from Memphis to Bristol. That might be ok for a summer vacation, but you're not going to be criss crossing the state regularly. And what there is "to do" depends on you, same as anywhere. If you're looking for a pretty spots to visit, I'd recommend Rock City outside of Chattanooga, the Lost Sea in Sweetwater, and Fall Creek Falls State Park. My end of the state isn't as scenic, though some people like going to "the lake," which usually means a two hour drive from Memphis to Pickwick, Reelfoot, or Paris, TN. There's also a neat Civil War Battlefield Park at Shiloh, which is just a few miles from Pickwick. Favorite city spots for me in Memphis are Stax Studios, the Zoo, and the National Civil Rights Museum. Chattanooga has a great aquarium, which, IMO, is worth driving in to see from anywhere in the state. There's also another Civil War Battlefield Park just outside (and above) Chattanooga on top of Lookoout Mountain.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Tennessee is a very long state. It's 8 hours from Memphis to Bristol. That might be ok for a summer vacation, but you're not going to be criss crossing the state regularly. And what there is "to do" depends on you, same as anywhere. If you're looking for a pretty spots to visit, I'd recommend Rock City outside of Chattanooga, the Lost Sea in Sweetwater, and Fall Creek Falls State Park. My end of the state isn't as scenic, though some people like going to "the lake," which usually means a two hour drive from Memphis to Pickwick, Reelfoot, or Paris, TN. There's also a neat Civil War Battlefield Park at Shiloh, which is just a few miles from Pickwick. Favorite city spots for me in Memphis are Stax Studios, the Zoo, and the National Civil Rights Museum. Chattanooga has a great aquarium, which, IMO, is worth driving in to see from anywhere in the state. There's also another Civil War Battlefield Park just outside (and above) Chattanooga on top of Lookoout Mountain.

Thanks for the info...alot of these spots sound great!! We love mountains and beautiful scenery, woods, trails, water, amusement parks, driving, and shopping. We will for the most part be wanting to live on the east side meaning in between Nashville and Knoxville and east /south. I prefer the Sevierville area keeping Knoxville close by for more employment opportunities for my husband. We are looking to move there soon and find a home to rent that at least has 3 bedrooms. We would just like to be able to know ahead of time what other things Tennessee has to offer that perhaps people just don't know about. We are going to plan a visit as soon as we narrow our search a tad more on where to live Thanks again..good day to you.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM

5,841 posts, read 6,919,012 times
I agree with everything on eastmemphis guys list (although im unfamiliar with most Memphis area attractions) , and add to it the cherohala skyway. It is a drive through the mountains that is south of the smoky mountain NP. Beautifull scenery and much less crowded than the NP park. Also a great waterfall, I think its called bald river falls is a short drive off the skyway. Foothills parkway near Maryville is a nice drive too, awesome views of the smokys. Another cool place is Ozone falls, its off of I-40 between crossville and knoxville.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM

23,632 posts, read 21,969,184 times
FYI: Tennessee Vacation - The State's Official Travel Planning Website This is Tennessee.. have fun...Pick a region.. as in the 3 stars in the States Flag.. East -Middle -West. Clicking on the "RED" flags on the map on main page will take you too the region.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or