U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM
5 posts, read 77,995 times
Reputation: 13


I live in TN. Ok, there are two toilets in our home. the downstair's toilet works but randomly floods. Then upstairs the toilet completely stopped working. Called my landlord and he said under no circumstance would he pay a plumber to fix it.

So since we need our toilets, I called a plumber. The plumber had to replace a piece downstairs and said upstairs the really old water pipes aren't working anymore. And in order for the toilet to work properly again, the pipes would have to be replaced. I told him about my situtition with my landlord, and he said in TN there is a law about negligent landlords and if they refuse to due house maintenance, you can take money out of the rent and do it yourself. Since they are require to provide a livable space for you.

I'm already on pretty bad terms with my landlord because he refused to fix 4 ceiling leaks. Then accused us of creating them. So I want to be sure, before I tell him about what the plumber said.

So my questions are does anyone know of that law and do you think this would apply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Location: somewhere over the rainbow Ohio
2,017 posts, read 4,700,102 times
Reputation: 1527
I've never heard of that law, just the opposite regarding withholding any part of the rent to repay the repairs. Doesn't mean I wasn't given bad info.
Why don't you move instead of staying there if the place isn't livable? This isn't the best place to be asking for information such as you need. You need to talk with a lawyer I would think.
Good luck,
I just found this link by googling tenant rights in Tennessee. Maybe it will help you.


Last edited by Pam& Bill; 01-10-2013 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Reputation: 13304
Yes, they have to fix it unless it is something that you are purposely doing. Even then, they will have to fix it and then prove you are doing it and take you to court to sue you for the damages. That brochure Pam put up is great. You probably noticed but the number for the consumer hotline is (615) 741-4737.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top