Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,233,099 times

Advertisements

Oh I am so glad that this got over turned. Good job Chattanooga!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 09:48 PM

390 posts, read 1,695,980 times
Yeah, I guess the complaints were from those of another faith, not from agnostics or atheists. They originally told them they could also have a place to recognize their faith, but that did not appease. Apparently the private property, belonging to River City Company, is a little farther away than where the display usually is, but the organizers are still seeking a closer place for it.

I heard the complaints to reverse the decision came from more than a few people. TriDad and I both looked at each other and rolled our eyes when we read the original story, because we kinda thought we left this kinda thing in FL!! I think if it is open to all faiths, nobody should be able to challenge it, but you never know these days....

Old 10-19-2007, 09:36 AM

7,498 posts, read 17,102,683 times
I know everyone kinda groans and rolls their eyes when stuff like this happens (especially in an area of overwhelming social and fiscal conservatism and religious zealotism), but it would do us all well to remember that without people who have constant vigilance, we could easily degrade into a police state, a religious state, or something even worse.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:20 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,129,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
. . . we could easily degrade into a police state, a religious state, or something even worse.
Seems like the worst police states the world has seen have been anti-religous; certainly Satlinist Russia and Hilter's German (although he did use certain religous organizations for his own aims).

Amendment 1 of the US Constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I guess to my way of thinking it isn't the government's job to promote a certain religion (or atheism either); but it isn't their job to immunize people from it either.

And, just for the record, I'm not very religious, nor do I attend any church. And I better shut up before this gets more to (horrors!) the Religion forum.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
The only reason I started this thread was because I said this was going to happen. Anyone who read some of my past year's rantings knows this.

I'm not particularly religious. I think there is probably a God, but am left baffled by Christianity. I have been a life-long Democrat, though I think that party is in the toilet, as is the Republicans. Only one that looks good to me is Ron Paul.

But, that's not the point of this thread.

The point is I KNEW the transplants would come in here and start their whining, trying to change things. When you move to a place, only because it is cheaper than where you came from, you are going to want to make the new place more like the old place.

Does anyone know if this has happened before in Chattanooga? If it has, then I stand corrected.

Jab: I know you don't like the conservative nature of this state, your place of birth. I know why, and I understand. But that was not the point I was trying to make.

Alleycat: Great post. I wish we would just get back to the Constitution.

My platform is "Live and Let Live."

hiknapster in '08!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 AM

I guess I was just circuitously wondering aloud if the people doing the complaining were transplants. I'm all for multiculturality (including Christianity), but I 'might could' possibly see myself doing something like this (like I don't agree with any kind of religious postings in courthouses) here in JC.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,328,257 times
I think I must be dense as this issue is brought up every holiday season in recent years or it becomes an issue if one can say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. A nativity has been part of the tradional celebration of Christmas as far back as I can remember. I do not personally practice any christian faith and a nativity offends people because???? who cares if the nativity represents part of a story that appears in the bible? Why does it end up being a heated debate over religion? I'm in my forties and the nativity has been part of Christmas celebrations all my life and I'm not threatened by a nativity scene.
I say leave the traditions be and keep the politics out of this. If I have misinterpreted this thread, my apologies. I just don't understand what the big deal is over a nativity scene.
Pam

Old 10-19-2007, 01:06 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,381,077 times
jab, I love that you said "might could". It's an expression I had never heard before I started working on getting our property in Kingston.

I also found "I don't care to stop by there and take a look" hard to get used to. Here, "I don't care to..." means "I don't want to" but in TN it means "I don't mind..."

Amazing, the little differences in cultures only hours from one another.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:17 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,129,415 times
Hmmm, where I live "I don't care to" means I don't wanna and I'm not gonna.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 PM

<g> The first time I got out of east TN was on a trip to DC. Confused some poor soul all to hell because I told them I didn't care to. They reacted like I'd punched them in the gut and I reacted like they hadn't heard me.

Took a while to get that one straightened out.

Quote:
Hmmm, where I live "I don't care to" means I don't wanna and I'm not gonna.
Aw, you live in the city. Ain't no sense there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee