U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,963,231 times

Advertisements

Husband and I would like to move to Tenn from Ohio and would like info on where the white collar auto or mechanical engineering jobs would be? We have been looking at the east side of the state near Knoxville and would love to stick to that area if possible.

We also would like an area where nice homes can be found on some acreage for reasonable "Midwest"prices = under 300k. Driving under 30 minutes to arts, downtown and some culture would be nice, along with 5+ acres and privacy.

We pretty much live in extremes. Well educated and professional (I am an artist), yet into homesteading, organic gardening, natural rearing of animals. What "neighborhoods" should we be looking in?

We are tired of the nasty Ohio and Michigan weather that we have lived through all our lives. Since he is the main bread winner, access to automotive engineering and auto/parts manufacturing plants would be the first thing we need to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,250,290 times
There probably are plenty of opportunities for engineers judging by a quick Google search. Around Knoxville there are manufacturing and some research related (Oak Ridge) and it would be possible to find more rural homes within a reasonable drive in several directions around Knoxville (even within Knoxville county). The job itself would be the determining factor in which direction to look.

Knoxville Engineering Jobs

A house near both Knoxville and Oak Ridge with all of your wish list requirements: Listing #739619

If you head down to Chattanooga the VW plant that opened a little while back appears to be still hiring as they expand and there are also quite a few related companies springing up to support the plant. He may find a good job here as well. I'm not well versed with the towns down there but do know it is similar to Knoxville in that city turns to rural pretty quickly.

CAREERS with Volkswagen Group of America

You might want to plan a vacation trip to visit and determine if either city, and the towns around them are what you envision and then find the job before you move. The housing will be the easiest part of the deal.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Thank you so much.

Are there any glaring differences between Knox and Chat, as far as culture?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 AM

5,861 posts, read 6,935,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Thank you so much.

Are there any glaring differences between Knox and Chat, as far as culture?

I dont think there are any glaring differences, but with all cities there are some differences. First the weather is slightly warmer in Chattanooga then it is up in Knoxville. Chattanooga and Knoxville both have nice dowtown areas, but Chattanooga probably has a bit more to do downtown then does Knoxville. Knoxville has better access to the Smokey mountain national park, and all the attractions of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. (if you like touristy things like that) All of east Tennessee is a good place to plant your stakes, hard to go wrong here. Good luck and God bless

Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM

In my search it seems like there is more nice, and affordable housing with acreage outside Knox. Chat almost seems stuck down there on the edge of the state with less room for a commute to downtown. I see a lot of 300k suburban homes and new construction crammed outside Chat with less room for cummuting from outside town. Maybe I am wrong. I was kind of focusing on the location of the VW plant on the SE side of town.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
I strongly urge you to check into engineering positions in the Knoxville MSA. Check out Denso of Maryville for starters. It's tough to get into VW with usually very long waits.

DENSO Manufacturing Tennessee - Welcome

Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 PM

233 posts, read 464,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I strongly urge you to check into engineering positions in the Knoxville MSA. Check out Denso of Maryville for starters. It's tough to get into VW with usually very long waits.

DENSO Manufacturing Tennessee - Welcome
That's not true at all, particularly in skilled positions. [Mod cut: rude]

Last edited by elnina; 01-18-2013 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Husband has 20 years experience with the Big 3 in Detroit, and suppliers, and 2 masters degrees in the field. He has also traveled to Germany and other countries in the past via work. Hopefully that would be an asset for getting hired.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the links btw. I am bookmarking them all.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM

I we were to remove VW in Chatt from the equation, comparing Knoxville and Chattanooga, which city would have the most job opportunities in engineering and parts manufacturing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee