Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM

10 posts, read 26,680 times

Advertisements

We are moving from NH with horses to either TN, WV, VA or KY. We are looking for a small town that has pasture area for horses but close to a large city for shopping, jobs and culture. We enjoy outside activities but are looking for a warmer climate compared to NH. Can someone suggest small towns that offer this with a low cost of living and a reasonable home price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM

7,881 posts, read 12,591,349 times
The Shelbyville TN area is "horse country" and home prices are reasonable HOWEVER it is 25 miles +/- to Murfreesboro and close to 50 miles from Nashville. It is also 50 miles from Huntsville.

While home prices are reasonable horse farms will be a bit more expensive if you wanted your own farm. If you just wanted to board your horses there are plenty of barns around since this is the walking horse area.

I have noticed some deals on farmland (cattle farms) recently. The 191 acre farm across the road from me sold for 1800 an acre two years ago.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
I'm from New England and everything is going to seem reasonable to you.

Middle and West Tennessee seems to be horse country but bear in mind that East Tennessee will seem more like home. West Tennessee will be far different than what you are use to. Doesn't mean it won't work for you, though.

Are you going to need jobs? If you do, finding one first should steer you where you will ultimately land.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM

10 posts, read 26,680 times
Thank you for the information. It helps so much to hear from people who are actually living in the state.

West Tennessee will be far different than what you are use to. Doesn't mean it won't work for you, though.
How do you mean? That is one thing that does make me a little nervous moving so far from "home". We currently live in a town with under 900 people. I am looking for something larger but I do like the safety of such a small town. We don't lock our doors and have zero crime. I don't want to trade that in.

Yes I will need a job. I work in human services. I do have to find an area that suits all of our needs but also has a job market. I'm used to NH where a management position in Human services is fairly easy to come by.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjsnh View Post
Thank you for the information. It helps so much to hear from people who are actually living in the state.

West Tennessee will be far different than what you are use to. Doesn't mean it won't work for you, though.
How do you mean? That is one thing that does make me a little nervous moving so far from "home". We currently live in a town with under 900 people. I am looking for something larger but I do like the safety of such a small town. We don't lock our doors and have zero crime. I don't want to trade that in.

Yes I will need a job. I work in human services. I do have to find an area that suits all of our needs but also has a job market. I'm used to NH where a management position in Human services is fairly easy to come by.
Oh, I meant the topography. East Tennessee looks more like New Hampshire. Also bear in mind that to you, West Tennessee will be very hot.

I'm from a small town in Central Mass. I've never been part of the Boston scene. In fact, I personally feel that my small Mass. town is far more redneck than East Tenn. in many ways. But bear in mind that places like Knoxville and Chattanooga are very small cities. Southern cities just have a different vibe to them.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,854,049 times
Thumbs up DAYTON / Birchwood

.R.: WELCOME. Under the CHATTANOOGA forums you may find / search the prior threads for DAYTON ( Which has the Dec holiday city HORSE Parade) . Just to the east across the river is farming land of
BIRCHWOOD .. Slighly level land here & many prior 5 acre homesteads , prior barns.. Rt # 312 / Rt # 58 ..

This area along I-75 is getting popular growth , New Airport in Cleveland just opened this week.
Prior Upsate New York & like this river region , (Outdoor hiking hobby ) boating , canoe area very much.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM

16 posts, read 50,168 times
You might want to check out the Jamestown Tn. area in Fentress County.
There are two horse friendly developments there. Ridge Top Acres and Spruce Creek Acres, that are adjacent to The Big South Fork. Each features private horse trails that run throughout the developments and lead to The Big South Fork. Lot sizes range from 1-10 acres and newly constructed homes are also available. Prices are reasonable and taxes are low.

The Big South Fork National Park itself has hundreds of miles of horse trails available:

Big South Fork Park Tennessee Horse trails Big South Fork Park Horse trails Trails stables Horse Camp grounds

The town of Crossville is approx. 35 minutes to the south and has two big retirement communities, Lake Tansi and Fairfield Glade.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM

420 posts, read 1,527,219 times
What kinds of horse activities are you into? Will you board or own your own farm? Do you want to be able to trail ride from your home farm or in serious hills or mountains? (E TN has that) Or do you want recognized dressage shows? (that is a challenge in most of TN)

Coming from North Carolina, I find that E TN is not particularly horsey. There are plenty of horses, but not a lot of informed horse people or the associated educational and competitive opportunities. Boarding options are also quite limited. It also depends on your discipline. I would look at Virginia if you like more of a horsey "scene."

Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM

231 posts, read 592,130 times
Default Best area for Horses

Insofar as I know most any area of the State is fine for Horses. Lot of Horse owners in Tennessee. It's a dichotomy though to expect to be able to buy land cheap close to a large City. Shelbyville is a pretty area and is the center of the Tennessee Walking Horse industry. Murphreesboro is the closest City of any size-it's a few miles way, but the highway is 4 lane.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,306 times
OK horse people ..... Looking for specific answers to my specific questions. Do not need generalities. Moving to TN. Wants lots of open trails for my western riding horses. Do not want to trailer expect for the bi-yearly occasional if mandatory. Will be buying a home with a nice stable and ring and want to get on the horse and go onto the trails. Anyone out there do that? Where I'm from we get on our horse and ride all day on trails and may never ride the same trail in that day. Even have open rings you can ride to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee