U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM

22,534 posts, read 46,102,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
That is some nice southern hospitality. Did you not read how much they are making? Temp Agencies pay that much here. They are worried about their kids welfare, and I applaud them for that. In a time when people are selfish, it's good to see people still care about their families. But you are more worried about taxes than another persons family. I would welcome them and bid you adieu if it was possible because of your assumptions.
If memory serves, he moved away from Tennessee, no longer lives here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
yep. Here's another link: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I don't think that site is considered competition to this one but just in case it is and the link gets removed - it's to a per-capita welfare list by state. Tennessee is #5 right behind California at #4, so a similar rate of public assistance in both states. In Tennessee it's primarily a rural phenomenon and honestly many of the people on the dole don't have a lot of options, the economy in many rural areas of the state has been decimated for decades. In some of the rural counties, including mine, the local economy is essentially being supported by the inflow of cash from various types of public assistance programs so that even people who aren't drawing a government check are dependent on the system. About half of the sales at the local grocery store are EBT card, roughly a third of the county is on food stamps.
What I say to folks like that is move away and find a job. That's why I find it so ironic that the OP is moving here to improve their lot yet there are some that wither away in the same small community and live off the public dole. Oftentimes they get caught up in illegal activity to supplement their income or to deal with the pain of going nowhere.

I grew up in a town like that in Mass. People either commuted 60 to 90 minutes away or they moved away entirely. Most did the latter as did I. When I moved to Florida and found it to be a dead-end, I came to Knoxville. So I don't buy the "there are no jobs around here so I need to get assistance for my nerves" crap. Some of these folks are 30 minutes away from a decent job.

But moving away to some great pie-in-the-sky utopia where everyone picks themselves up by their bootstraps? That dog don't hunt in Tennessee. I've seen more people living on government assistance in the South than anywhere else. They may vote red but they aren't always voting their wallet.

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2013 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If memory serves, he moved away from Tennessee, no longer lives here.
That's a good thing imo.

Quote:
What I say to folks like that is move away and find a job. That's why I find it so ironic that the OP is moving here to improve their lot yet there are some that wither away in the same small community and live off the public dole. Oftentimes they get caught up in illegal activity to supplement their income or to deal with the pain of going nowhere.

I grew up in a town like that in Mass. People either commuted 60 to 90 minutes away or they moved away entirely. Most did the latter as did I. When I moved to Florida and found it to be a dead-end, I came to Knoxville. So I don't buy the "there are no jobs around here so I need to get assistance for my nerves" crap. Some of these folks are 30 minutes away from a decent job.

But moving away to some great pie-in-the-sky utopia where everyone picks themselves up by their bootstraps? That dog don't hunt in Tennessee. I've seen more people living on government assistance in the South than anywhere else. They may vote red but they aren't always voting their wallet.
I agree with this. But I don't know what is more surprising that TN is so high ,from the link yarddog posted, or that MS is 23 and even more surprising is AR is at 46. But then Memphis is ranked as the poorest metro in the nation.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 24,903 times
Quote:
heh. Tennessee has its fair share of people that are on government assistance. In fact, there are an awful lot of people that are on disability. It's become somewhat of a joke among people I know that have had to deal with people that are on disability for their "nerves." There are people here that have been on disability and their parents and grandparents were on disability, almost like a proud family tradition. These folks are usually found in rural areas where the unemployment rate has been traditionally high.
So then I figure that the ones that want to work will find something. I work for a non-profit over here and I see it more. But what I really don't like where I'm at, is the liberalism, the constant overcharging us with taxes and high prices.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 3,941 times
First off smtygoingeast is my wife. So were in this together. I assure you all were not looking to go to TN to live off the dole. We could do that here. However that goes against out beliefs. We work for what we want/need. If we can't afford it we do with out. As with any state I am sure TN has it's welfare issues and taxes that it's citizens who care don't much care for. However to me the issues in TN do not compare to the ones in CA. California has the highest population in the Union, add to that millions of undocumented illegal aliens that us tax payers are funding in our schools and medical system. We have the highest tax burden of any state period. I laugh at other states taxes. Companies are fleeing this state faster than it's citizens. Schools are an absolute joke. They are run by an overwhelmingly liberal teachers union that tries to educate our children in way that we are less than comfortable with.
All we want is to leave. TN appears to be a good fit for us on many levels, or at least were 90% sure right now. We still want to be 100% sure though with jobs lined up before proceeding. Were just hard working people with strong beliefs about or Constitutional rights that we feel are being infringed upon in this extremely liberal state. Now I guess I better leave it at that and continue the job search. By the way if anyone knows of heavy equipment operator jobs I would appreciate any info on them. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Smitty View Post
First off smtygoingeast is my wife. So were in this together. I assure you all were not looking to go to TN to live off the dole. We could do that here. However that goes against out beliefs. We work for what we want/need. If we can't afford it we do with out. As with any state I am sure TN has it's welfare issues and taxes that it's citizens who care don't much care for. However to me the issues in TN do not compare to the ones in CA. California has the highest population in the Union, add to that millions of undocumented illegal aliens that us tax payers are funding in our schools and medical system. We have the highest tax burden of any state period. I laugh at other states taxes. Companies are fleeing this state faster than it's citizens. Schools are an absolute joke. They are run by an overwhelmingly liberal teachers union that tries to educate our children in way that we are less than comfortable with.
All we want is to leave. TN appears to be a good fit for us on many levels, or at least were 90% sure right now. We still want to be 100% sure though with jobs lined up before proceeding. Were just hard working people with strong beliefs about or Constitutional rights that we feel are being infringed upon in this extremely liberal state. Now I guess I better leave it at that and continue the job search. By the way if anyone knows of heavy equipment operator jobs I would appreciate any info on them. Thanks.

Welcome to Barnhart Crane & Rigging

Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but that is a totally different field than I am referring to. Earth movers is my field.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but that is a totally different field than I am referring to. Earth movers is my field.

I may have some contacts for you. But what part of TN do you want to move to?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I may have some contacts for you. But what part of TN do you want to move to?
We're pretty much looking around the Knoxville area for work. For housing were looking at the smaller towns just east of Knoxville. I'm a redneck from the coastal mountains of Northern California (6 hours north of San Fran.) so no way could I live in the city. I have no problem with commuting, which pretty much goes with the territory. I already do it 45 min a day anyways.
We have been looking at a lot of videos and pics of the area around the Smokey's. Other than not having Redwoods and a coast line they look a lot like the fog covered mountains we have here. I just think it would make us feel more at home and make adjustment that much easier. Thank you for the information and help.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
We're pretty much looking around the Knoxville area for work. For housing were looking at the smaller towns just east of Knoxville. I'm a redneck from the coastal mountains of Northern California (6 hours north of San Fran.) so no way could I live in the city. I have no problem with commuting, which pretty much goes with the territory. I already do it 45 min a day anyways.
We have been looking at a lot of videos and pics of the area around the Smokey's. Other than not having Redwoods and a coast line they look a lot like the fog covered mountains we have here. I just think it would make us feel more at home and make adjustment that much easier. Thank you for the information and help.

I'll check and see if they know anyone in that part of the state.

Yea I had a roommate in Knoxville that lived in Humboldt, dated a girl from Chico, so familiar with it by word of mouth.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM

352 posts, read 700,726 times
I'm not sure who is hiring, but with this list, I am sure you could find one! Also, I didn't see Raines Bros on the list, or Rentenbach.

Chattanooga Earth movers | Earth movers in Chattanooga, TN - YP.com

I received a mailing this morning on a house in the Soddy Area, looks like it would suit you and your need for the moment. I love the area myself: Its a fix er up, but well worth it with the acreage! Plus close enough to Chattanooga for everything!

Public Full

Hope everything works out for you~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee