U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

First off i would like to say please excuse me. I sometimes have trouble explaining what im trying to say when typing. I have adhd and my mind goes faster than my fingers.

My family (My husband, and my 2 young girls) are having some financial issues in California. Currently we are living by the skin of our teeth. We are paying $1600 where we are right now. Most places here are actually about $900 - $1200 for 2 or 3 bedroom apt. But this is currently the place we are stuck. My husband makes 10.50 an hour making 1200 a month. So you see how this is unbearable anymore. I am fully able to work and cant find a job. We live in a small town on the outskirts of anything with no car. So just getting our children to the doctors is hard.

With tax season right around the corner we are coming into some money from a refund and also an inheritance. We have the choice to either try and pick ourselves up out here or take our money and run. We chose Tennessee for a couple of reasons: I have some family in tn that left California many years ago and is doing much better. Me and my husband have both wanted to move farther east. Motley for the atmosphere to raise our kids in just seems so much better than snotty California. But most importantly im seeing that it is one of the cheapest states in the usa.

But, i have some friends here telling me that its the opposite. There are no jobs and cost of living is not as easy as it seems and that we should stay in Ca.

Also. I have been applying online and have been looking at many places to live. Havent gotten any leads yet so we are going up there blindly at the moment with the possibility of being stuck in a motel or something similar until we get on our feet. A lot of people may discourage this but please understand that we really dont have any other options here. Please help with any advice or input you can give im really scared of moving so far but really scared of staying here as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM

9,531 posts, read 13,372,671 times
Why one month? Can you not hang on to the money a little longer and do a little more research first?
Running to a place just because you want a lower COL rarely turns out well.

Along with the lower COL comes a lower wage too, not going to do you much good if you get here to find the same type of work only pays minimum wage. Housing costs are lower, but unless you move out to the sticks I don't know that you'll get much lower than $600- $700 month and many places are closer to the $900 you say is typical there. The cheaper areas to live are also usually the places it's harder to find jobs.

Do you plan to get a car and how much of your savings will that eat? TN is not known for public transportation, hard to do much if you don't have a car.

Have you given any consideration to schooling, weather, cultural differences, etc?

What part of TN are you even considering, what kind of work will you be looking for, what sort of housing budget did you have in mind?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 PM

21,036 posts, read 15,345,127 times
You should stay put. You do not have a job lined up, a town, or anything. There are parts of TN that are doing well in the Knoxville and Nashville metros, but many small TN towns are actually going to be worse for employment than most of CA because there are so few jobs available, and what there is tends to be in health care. Do nothing until you have more concrete plans. TN taxpayers cannot afford to keep taking care of people moving to this state who think cost of living is everything and end up jobless and homeless.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Try the Knoxville area. Our unemployment rate is better than anything in California, from what I can see.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...l=en&ind=false

Even if you both get minimum wage jobs, you could be better off. If you have to pay daycare then it could be a problem, though. You can get a decent apartment in a very good location for less than $900 here. My guess is that where you are now, you are about to be evicted. It may not work out moving to Tennessee but I don't think you have much choice. Other possibilities are the Dakotas and Texas because they have very low unemployment rates. Check that chart in the first link I put up. I've been in your situation where due to circumstances you have to move in order to support your family. Best of luck. Where there is a will there truly is a way.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 AM

5,861 posts, read 6,935,288 times
Be carefull moving acrost country with no job lined up. Things can go wrong quickly, and having no income puts you in real danger of ending up destitute. If you decide to take the risk make sure you have savings before you do it, cross country moves are expensive. You will be shocked how much money you will spend doing it. As far as jobs, you probably can find one but the wages here are lower than Ca. Now if your husband only makes 10.50 an hour you may be able to find that here, but it may take some time. I know it must be tough living on that wage in a high COL state like CA, but take your time and make sure you know what your getting into before you make that kind of move. Now as far as rent, I am sure you will find rent cheaper here. A two bedroom apartment can be had for 400-900 a month. On the lower end of that scale your neighbors will not be of the highest quality, and you may be in a high crime area. On the high end you will have nice suburban living. Another major issue to look at is not having a car. Public transportation is not universal here like it probably is in California. If you stay inside major cities like Nashville you should be ok, but living in the sticks with no car is out of the question in Tennessee. Cars are a major part of life here, it is something you really need to have. If you decide to come down here Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga are the best choices for jobs. Memphis is a struggling town with higher unemployment. Have you considered other states??? North Dakota has an oil boom going on, Texas and Oklahoma have low unemployment too. Do your research and try to line up work before you move, this will give you the best chance for success. Temp agencies may be able to help you line up work before you move, its worth checking into. Good luck and Godbless.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 PM

22 posts, read 22,389 times
There certainly is a lower COL here, but beware there are TONS of taxes in Tennessee.
I live at Fort Campbell and they tax me to freakin death.
Consider Kentucky.. no food tax, MUCH lower sales tax, lower COL.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM

233 posts, read 464,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFG View Post
There certainly is a lower COL here, but beware there are TONS of taxes in Tennessee.
I live at Fort Campbell and they tax me to freakin death.
Consider Kentucky.. no food tax, MUCH lower sales tax, lower COL.
Trade off is that Kentucky has a state income tax, and often has municipal income taxes on top of that. I can promise you, you'll pay far more in income tax than you ever will in sales tax.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
Trade off is that Kentucky has a state income tax, and often has municipal income taxes on top of that. I can promise you, you'll pay far more in income tax than you ever will in sales tax.
That's the truth! Tennessee is third lowest in the country for tax burden - according to the very latest records.

States with the highest and lowest taxes

By contrast, Kentucky is 26th.

State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2010 | Tax Foundation

Sales tax isn't everything and let's not discount those sneaky little taxes that many states like to add in on top of state income tax. So many people can't seem to get past this to understand the big picture. I've lived in Mass., Florida and Tenn. and I have felt the difference in those three states.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,327,161 times
Never move anywhere without a job first. Especially with a family.

You can make 10 bucks an hour at Walmart, and they hire every day. I'd say widen your net on employment.

Tennessee is beautiful, I love living here, but before I moved home I had a job to pay the bills.

Why Tennessee? There are lots of states and places hiring much better then here. And if you live in a metro area, rent isn't that different from what you're living in now, and this state has far less assistance then California does.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM

I agree that no one should move without a job, however, I have done it and with a small child. It was during an economic boom though and I had researched the heck out of the move. By the time we arrived in Knoxville I knew that it gave us, at the time, the best chance of getting jobs in our fields. I was married at the time, hence the "us" and "our" references. A job search should always dictate where you move.

Regarding cost of rentals, we are probably very reasonable compared to most places across the country, even putting our metro areas against other metros areas.

Regarding employment, some areas have high unemployment. In fact there are some rural areas that have had a struggling job market for decades. However, there are places within the state that have a better job market than a lot of the country. Of course there are places with a lower unemployment rate such as the Dakotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee