U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,795,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One sad thing that might happen in TN, the EPA ( current admin - Fed ) and the Sierra club intense fight against Coal plants might just raise part of the COL in TN, when they finally ban coal plants. Without getting too political, We ( you in TN and myself if I do move to TN - but here in NJ ) might really become more like YoungLisa. I sure do hope the price of the solar panels comes down, so everyone can have some supplemental electric, but for the moment it is really cost prohibitive.
Fine with me. Appalachia has subsidized energy for too long by sacrificing its mountains and mountain communities. The sooner we get off coal, the better. I would gladly pay a 20-25% premium to know that our energy is harvested in a way that keeps everyone that lives there safe and healthy, and our lands intact for future generations. And if we all had to pay the real price of energy, all externalities included, then maybe we would use less of it to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 PM

375 posts, read 924,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Fine with me. Appalachia has subsidized energy for too long by sacrificing its mountains and mountain communities. The sooner we get off coal, the better. I would gladly pay a 20-25% premium to know that our energy is harvested in a way that keeps everyone that lives there safe and healthy, and our lands intact for future generations. And if we all had to pay the real price of energy, all externalities included, then maybe we would use less of it to start with.
^^^^This. The strip mines are all closed in my home county, high sulfur low value coal, but the landscape is still scarred with flooded pits from the '70s. Most of them filled with unearthly blue acidic water in which nothing lives. It'll eat the paint off your car if you're foolish enough to park close to them very often like some idiots who use one as a swimming hole. It'll peel your skin like a sunburn too, I say again, idiots. The spoil piles next to them don't grow much but stunted scrub pine and briars. Wells poisoned with "sulfur water" or "iron water" that drains from the mines. And that's just the damage from getting it out of the ground. The amount of mercury that the big coal power plants have pumped out of their stacks over the past fifty or sixty years is disturbing to say the least. Enough. It isn't worth it. Coal is nasty. Move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee