Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Which is why we drive to Kentucky twice a month and buy groceries and whatever else we need. No tax on groceries, and the sales tax is cheaper.

Best of both worlds.
Then all your tax revenue goes to Kentucky and the town you live in gets NOTHING with which to pave roads, pay police and fire or build parks.

Brilliant plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I moved from San Francisco to Nashville, same vehicle, same everything and my insurance nearly doubled.
Something is very strange about that claim. You may want to check on what is insured and if the company or you made a very serious mistake for your insurance to be doubled without changes to your coverage or having a serious accident.

While I don't feel any strong need to be a cheerleader for the area because I don't want people to think it is the next "in place" to move to and ruin it, your claim goes counter to what everyone else who has made the same move has told me. I have yet to meet someone moving here from CA that found anything more expensive (rent, housing cost, insurance, vehicle registration, car inspections, taxes) and many things of similar cost (clothing, appliances, cars).

Rather than making claims that can't be substantiated here, for either higher or lower costs, we can compare state to state numbers quite easily for a reality check and see the truth for ourselves. Some states are just barely more expensive than TN and a handful are cheaper. Here are a few links showing that California insurance rates are consistently within the top 10 for most cost and TN is consistently in the top 10 for least cost.

Car Insurance Comparison by State

This one is from 2010 but shows similar numbers: Car Insurance Comparison by State

Compare car insurance premiums on 750 models - MSN Money This one showed a difference of anywhere from around $200-375 on the 6 car models I compared for both states, with California always the more expensive. You can compare you own but it takes some time.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Something is very strange about that claim. You may want to check on what is insured and if the company or you made a very serious mistake for your insurance to be doubled without changes to your coverage or having a serious accident.

While I don't feel any strong need to be a cheerleader for the area because I don't want people to think it is the next "in place" to move to and ruin it, your claim goes counter to what everyone else who has made the same move has told me. I have yet to meet someone moving here from CA that found anything more expensive (rent, housing cost, insurance, vehicle registration, car inspections, taxes) and many things of similar cost (clothing, appliances, cars).

Rather than making claims that can't be substantiated here, for either higher or lower costs, we can compare state to state numbers quite easily for a reality check and see the truth for ourselves. Some states are just barely more expensive than TN and a handful are cheaper. Here are a few links showing that California insurance rates are consistently within the top 10 for most cost and TN is consistently in the top 10 for least cost.

Car Insurance Comparison by State

This one is from 2010 but shows similar numbers: Car Insurance Comparison by State

Compare car insurance premiums on 750 models - MSN Money This one showed a difference of anywhere from around $200-375 on the 6 car models I compared for both states, with California always the more expensive. You can compare you own but it takes some time.
Your numbers are nice, but I did get quotes from multiple companies and prices ranged all over the place but I am still paying MORE than I paid in SF and actually less coverage.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
RememberMee and Blue502, that is some good information and is along the lines of what I was looking for.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Then all your tax revenue goes to Kentucky and the town you live in gets NOTHING with which to pave roads, pay police and fire or build parks.

Brilliant plan.
That's why as much as I like Green Hills I do most of my shopping in Cool Springs so my sales tax stays local. The drive is about the same for me to either.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
That's why as much as I like Green Hills I do most of my shopping in Cool Springs so my sales tax stays local. The drive is about the same for me to either.
Well regardless of where you shop in TN, more than 70% of your sales tax winds up with the state (which in turn, can end up in your home county). Local option is direct...so I can understand that philosophy...but you shouldn't feel guilty spending outside of your county.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM

There is some state-shared revenue, but it makes no sense to waste gas money to drive out of county for groceries if there are comparable grocery options in your hometown.

At best, you would most likely break even.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
There is some state-shared revenue, but it makes no sense to waste gas money to drive out of county for groceries if there are comparable grocery options in your hometown.

At best, you would most likely break even.
Well in terms of things like groceries, I would certainly agree. Shop where it is convenient.

And again, I do think it is generally a good idea to shop in your home county for the reason laid out above. I'm just saying one shouldn't feel guilty about spending money in another county...especially in the case that the other county has a store or something that you do not have in your home county.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Well in terms of things like groceries, I would certainly agree. Shop where it is convenient.

And again, I do think it is generally a good idea to shop in your home county for the reason laid out above. I'm just saying one shouldn't feel guilty about spending money in another county...especially in the case that the other county has a store or something that you do not have in your home county.
I agree, but this poster was shopping in Kentucky.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I agree, but this poster was shopping in Kentucky.

Well in cases like that, I absolutely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee