U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 PM

25 posts, read 22,298 times

Advertisements

I am curious if all of you that moved from FL were native Floridians? Did you live on the coast in FL or central FL? I guess what I am asking is, is it hard to not have the beach nearby or is the beach hit or miss for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM

9,531 posts, read 13,372,671 times
Not exactly a native Floridian, but I grew up on the white sand beaches of Lake Michigan and spent another decade living along the gulf coast. It is an adjustment to go from that to only having lakes with small man made strips of sand for a 'beach'.
I think that if you are into the beach lifestyle you will probably want to try to be within an hour of a lake with a decent swim area. I spent a long time in a city where the closest nice lake was quite a drive, and I think that was one of the reasons I was not happy there. Now I am about thirty minutes from a lake, and while it's not quite the same as having handy access to nice beaches, it's a lot more bearable than nothing at all nearby.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
For the first 44 years of my life I lived less than 45 minutes to a beach and by that I mean the mighty Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico. Now, it's about seven or eight hours to the beaches of Charleston. I'm not thrilled by that. On the other hand, I hate paying the higher prices of living closer, the tourists and the humidity. On top of that, I realize that you can't have everything. You have to figure out what is important to you. The cost of living/job ratio, the quality of schools, family friendliness and ease of living in my area keeps me here. Regarding Florida, I'll take what I have now over horrible schools, rude, aggressive retirees and transients and the seedy vibe.

Oh. And I'm not a native Floridian. I've always felt bad for you folks. I know what it's like to have people come into your hometown and completely change it.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM

25 posts, read 22,298 times
I am a native Floridian - born about 10 minutes from where I currently live.... 3 miles from the beach on the west coast of FL (near St. Pete). Never lived anywhere else.....that being said I am desperate for a change, not wanting to live and die in the exact same city and never experience anything else, kwim? The opportunity for my family to move to TN has come up but I struggle with leaving, mainly because I am afraid I will regret it, miss the beach, etc...I am not a beach bum by any means, but it is there if I desire to go. The cost of living here has reached a point of no return for us though and I know a change of some sort is necessary. Just wanted to get some insight from people who have been in the situation I am in. :-)

You hit the nail on the head with the bad schools, rude people, etc...not to mention the insane prescription pill problem here...every other billboard here advertises a number to report prescription drug abuse or dealers. They just built a liquor store a block from my kids school if that tells you anything about what people around here really care about.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,327,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl116 View Post
I am curious if all of you that moved from FL were native Floridians? Did you live on the coast in FL or central FL? I guess what I am asking is, is it hard to not have the beach nearby or is the beach hit or miss for you?

I am not a native Floridian, but I lived ON the water in Destin. Alligators and Dolphins swimming by the house was not an odd event.

I miss the water, but what I discovered is that just living there I rarely went out to the beach. Most of the time I would boat on the weekend to a nice beach and sit, but I can do that here also. I find that when I do get to go back to the gulf coast, I enjoy it more because I'm a tourist.

I had family reasons for my moving back to Tennessee. But I wouldn't be opposed to move back to Florida one day, after the kids are gone. But thats a good many years away, and Florida may have sunk into the ocean by then.

Its all about what you want. Living life, the normal 300 days of the year you spend it doesn't matter to much if you're in Florida, Tennessee, Michigan, California, wherever. Its the 65 days a year you get to relax or get to go places that makes the difference. For me, I'm close to family here, and I have two young kids I want to have family close by for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or