U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,684 times

Advertisements

Throw in my vote for Chatt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,832 times
Smile Which city has best public schools for young children with Autism?

Hi, we are also looking at either Chattanooga or Knoxville. Our primary concern is which area has top notch public school programs for children with Autism. Our son is a first grader and currently has excellent support and school placement in the Washington DC area. I have looked at public school websites throughout both cities and have been fairly disappointed. I can't find any yahoo groups or other specific forums to research potential areas. We are willing to move to a zip code/school neighborhood that has a self-contained autism classroom for K-2nd graders with 1 autism teacher and up to 3 aides and no more 8 students. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 PM

385 posts, read 899,449 times
I'm also debating between Chattanooga and Knoxville.

I was initially enchanted by the smokies and the old houses in Knoxville.

However I am intrigued by the art museum and close proximity of the mountains in Chattanooga. It sounds like there are some neighborhoods with older houses in Chattanooga as well, such as St. Elmo.

Also I am considering the tri-cities area, possibly living in Abingdon VA because I like a rural setting.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 AM

973 posts, read 1,190,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemithao View Post
I am going to give perfect examples of what I originally was talking about when I wrote this. I turn down the road to go to the place we rent and I see a burned down house that is just sitting there for God knows how long. Trash everywhere in almost every yard. Old cars with blankets on the windows LOL...mildewed children's toys thrown about, paper, cans, empty food boxes just laying in yards. It is unbelievable. I am from Jacksonville, FL and I never saw stuff this bad there. It is like people don't care at all about their property. It baffles me. What is the most surprising though is the number of houses that look like this and I know people live in them. I could understand 1 house on the street cause the owner just doesn't care but the majority of houses on one street??? I find that odd. Anyway...perhaps Rossville was not the best choice for us LOL...I have driven through the city and it is just as Blue502 said....the city either doesn't know it's a city or the officials just don't give a crap!!! The sad thing is that there is so much natural beauty here...until you turn into your neighborhood!!!
You also have to remember that Jax has enforcement over that type of stuff. I think it was called "Cleaner Greener Jacksonville Program". You could not have unregistered cars in view from the road. Had to have your grass mowed. I know both of those from a visit from one of the Enforcement people. I was rebuilding a bike and our yard was so wet (a strip mall parking lot graded right to my yard) that we could not even use a push mower. Had to let it dry out some.

As far as I know, there are no programs like that in Tenn. If there is one in the City limits, these are not Incorporated Counties like Jax is. City might have some type of regs. about it but then the County might not.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 AM

352 posts, read 699,886 times
here is an answer for Autism services in Chattanooga. I don't know about what the schools offer, but I'm sure it can be found out pretty easily. If you would like the original link to the site that posts this info, please message me and I will send it to you. It is from a proboard.
Mayors Council on Disability will meet at 1400 McCallie! Thanks to Lisa Mattheiss at Lifeline, the Mayor's Council on Disabilities are holding their bimonthly meeting in our building on April 1st at 3:30pm. We strongly encourage you to to attend and share with the council both the barriers and the resources that you consider important for persons with disabilities. There has not been significant representation of parents who have children with disabilities at these meetings. A full room makes a bigger impact than an empty room.

Color on the Run
Bring your kids March 26th to make some Art for the CAC. Trish Cox and other volunteers will host an art project at the St. Elmo Recreation Center (1151 West 40th Street). Kids will be producing art to auction at the Art for Autism and gifts for conference speakers. See Facebook Color on the Run event for details.

R.E.A.C.H. is taking applications for summer school program
What: 6-week summer learning program that is IEP specific
Dates: June 11-13, 18-20, 25-27 and July 9-11, 16-18, 23-25
Time: 8:30 am to 1:30 pm Tuesdays-Thursdays
Location: Brainerd United Methodist Church, 4315 Brainerd Road
Cost: $900 per student for the six week program; includes $65 fee for supplies/registration
Classroom will have a 2:1 student to teacher ratio, and your child will receive intensive, small group learning targeting their specific IEP goals. summer program will run three days a week, Space is limited and will be filled on a first come first serve basis. Contact: Emily Nasca at 423-698-2030 or enasca@brainerdumc.org

CARS fundraising program
You've already seen the email I'm sure. We are very fortunate to have Cindy Lipps, a grandparent of a child with autism, volunteer to run this fundraising program for us. She has expertise in this area and is able to coordinate the phone calls, the drop offs or tow trucks, changing out titles, getting the money from the auctions or scrap yards, and all that work. Please help this program become a success by telling everyone you know about it. Many people would much rather donate their used car or poorly running car to us than have to sell or trade them themselves! Plus, we'll use the funds raised to help local individuals and families. CARS Webpage

"Transitional Strategies" Poster Contest
Attention educators, students, and clinicians. We are accepting submissions to present a poster at the autism conference in April and there's a chance to win up to $100! Your informational posters should communicate "a strategy or approach used to facilitate or ease transitions". Click here to read the guidelines and submit your poster description online.

Documentory filmmaker seeking children with autism.
A film director developing a documentary film for a major TV channel is interested in speaking with children and their families dealing with finding care and services for their child or adolescent with autism, bipolar, depression, ODD, OCD, ADHD, or related disorders. Link to the invitation from the film-maker. Or, email the film-maker directly at mhproject@moxiefirecracker.com.

Links from previous newsletters:

* List of Regional Summer Programs for kids with disabilities
*Dr. Weigle's DSM-V interview on Around and About
* Spring Fling Auction Event (tickets are now on sale)
Tennessee Adult Brothers and Sisters (TABS) Conference.

click this link to see a few new items that we added to the CAC wishlist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee